PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router but has cable e-net also?

Dogdaysdude
09-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Hi. I saw an ad in a PC magazine awhile ago for a router that is wireless but also will allow cat5 ethernet connection as well. (This is for sharing cable internet connection.) Can someone point me to what those are or where I can check prices on them?
Thanks much.

pentachris
09-23-2004, 11:42 AM
What you're looking for is a wireless access point with a x-port switch. (Usually that x is 4). Tons of them out there. Here's an example:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601

PrntRhd
09-23-2004, 11:45 AM
All the electronics stores have them, Frys, Best Buy, CompUSA, OfficeMax, also can find them online at places like new egg (http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0). I prefer Linksys, some others prefer D-Link or Netgear, get one with WAP encription so you can secure it from the neighborhood on the wireless side and NAT/SPI hardware firewall on the wired side.

Edit: That is nice one Pentachris
:D

Dogdaysdude
09-25-2004, 12:06 AM
Ok. I'll try to find the one you mention from Linksys. But the last post is a bit over my head. I'm not sure how to do that. Also, how will our laptop, with the wireless network card be recognized? Do we need to set anything special up on it?
Thanks again. :confused:

PrntRhd
09-25-2004, 12:37 AM
Wireless can be either easy as heck or difficult depending on the environment it is used in and the equipment you obtain.
Is the notebook computer one with an add-on wireless card or is it integrated in the computer? (does it have a card sticking out?)
You just follow the instuctions that come with the wireless router to get it connected to all the PCs/laptops.
You do want to finish the job by turning on the security features after getting the connection established, that way you are not sharing your internet connection with unauthorized users and protect your data on your new network. Feel free to post back if you have questions or problems, there are members here who have the knowledge and have wireless routers just like what you are proposing to install.

:)

Dogdaysdude
09-25-2004, 11:21 AM
It's integrated into the laptop. Desktop is running W2K Pro, laptop has XP home.
One last question before we do this later today. I also am running Zone Alarm on both systems. Should ZA be removed, modified or left alone?
Thanks again, guys.

PrntRhd
09-25-2004, 12:03 PM
I also am running Zone Alarm on both systems. Should ZA be removed, modified or left alone?
You should leave ZA on the PCs with one minor modification, you will have to add the other computer's IP addresses to the Trusted Zone in ZA to allow each of them to see each other.

Dogdaysdude
09-25-2004, 04:35 PM
Wow!! OK, we're up and running on the router, including the wireless laptop.
Which leads to more questions...
1. Where do I find each computers IP address?
2. Which security mode to use? WPA Radius, WPA Pre-shared key, radius, or WEP?
2. Should I enable Wireless MAC filter?

Don't you just love newbies? So many questions.
Thanks again. (I should be outside. It's beautiful here today in Northern Illinois.) :)

PrntRhd
09-25-2004, 05:34 PM
1. Where do I find each computers IP address?
First things first:
Start>Run> type cmd and OK or Enter, black window opens, type IPCONFIG and Enter. The individual computer IP, subnet, and gateway address should appear as assigned from the router's DHCP.
Next:
close the open windows, type the gateway address you saw into a web browser search with no www and hit go or Enter, this will get you into the router itself, now turn on the firewall to at least medium to secure the wired portions. If you want to further secure it you can do more there later. You will want to change the password name and password from defaults at some point, just write it all down and save the documentation.
Next:
Add the range of addresses for computers to both ZA clients Trusted Zone.
Next:
I would go WAP-preshared key as it is the newest type of security (WAP 2).
See this for more: hardening WAP (http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/Windows-Security/Hardening-Wireless-LAN-Connections-Part-2/), the yellow box on the left has series of information sections about securing the network.