PDA

View Full Version : Cannot access internet with Internet Explorer 6

Pomodoro
10-03-2004, 07:17 AM
I installed Kazaa a few weeks ago, spotted that it came with a trojan and uninstalled it, and the trojan. However since then IE has not been able to access the net ("Cannot find server" and "The page cannot be displayed"). IE works fine with local files. I have installed 3 other browsers and they work fine. However I would prefer to have IE, as so many other systems use it. Microsoft seems to recommend that I uninstall and reinstall TCP/IP and dial up networking (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q241344), which seems quite drastic, as I don't really know the cause. I also use broadband rather than dial up. Any ideas?

Fruss Tray Ted
10-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Go to Internet Options and check the Security section over well especially Restricted Sites. Uncheck IE if listed there.

Sylvander
10-03-2004, 10:06 AM
If no hardware has changed since just before the problem was introduced: Just "jump back" to the way your software was before the problem was introduced.

To do that, re-format your C: drive and restore a backup [of the C: drive] made then, or go back to a WinXP restore point made shortly before the problem was introduced.

I keep 3 backups of the C: drive and a reformat and restore will solve ALL such [file & configuration] problems as these quickly and easily.

Sylvander
10-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Here's the full spiel that I typed and keep handy:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAKING BACKUPS
It all depends what software & hardware you have available to you for making backups.
I use “Simple Backup” and CD-RW disks because I only have a 10 GB & 1.2 GB HDD’s and therefore only need a total of 18 CD-RW’s as follows:
A) 1.4 GB C: partition = two backups [which leap-frog so that the old becomes the new], each 2 CD-RW’s.
B) 1.2 GB [old HDD] D: physical drive = 1 backup of 2 CD-RW.
C) 8 GB E: partition = 1 backup of 12 CD-RW’s.

I can backup [and also restore] each partition or physical drives separately.
If/when I re-format & restore the C: drive, then all the data, like My Documents etc, moved to other partitions remains unaffected.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECOVER USING BACKUPS
The easy way to recover from all software [including configuration] problems [without even having to discover the cause], is:

1) As you proceed forward in time, make backups of everything on your C: drive.
Do this at regular intervals, particularly before making software changes [un/installing programs or changing configuration] and keep a log of all this.
2) When you hit trouble caused by a bad configuration change and no hardware or software changes have been made, [use "scanreg /restore" in Win98, or a restore point in WinXP, to] restore a previous good configuration.
3) When the trouble involves more than just the configuration, but involves the files [including the configuration perhaps] but no harware has been changed [this is important because the software must match the hardware], then:
----------------------------------------------------------
Re-format the C: drive and restore your latest good backup.
----------------------------------------------------------
The software will "jump back" to the way it was when the PC worked.
If this doesn’t fix things, then it probably is not a software problem but a hardware problem

It helps if you keep the C: drive "lean & mean".
I move as much as possible off the C: drive [and keep it as small as possible].
The "Windows" & "Program Files" folders account for 95% of the used space on my C: drive.
All the data that changes day by day [or are considered vital] are re-homed on another physical drive [although another partition would do].
When I "jump back" I still have up to date:
a. My Documents. [Use “TweakUI” to move their home]
b. E-mails for all identities. [use the email client to move their home]
c. Internet Explorer Favourites. [Use “TweakUI” to move their home]
d. Temporary Internet Files. [use the browser (Internet Explorer) to move them]
e. Re-home the Windows Address Book as shown here http://tinyurl.com/24q6l . Use the key “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab FileName” to specify its new address. [Its normal home address [in Win98] is C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book.]
f. Any other storage of data files you wouldn’t want to “jump back”.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The AVG Rescue Disk is a special diskette where the most important parts of your computer’s boot up data will be saved. In this backup diskette, the contents of the Partition Table, Boot sectors and some other internal data will be saved. These areas are often targets of computer virus attacks and their damage can (and mostly will) cause the malfunction of the whole operating system – your computer cannot be started.

Repairing such destruction can be very difficult job. But if you have a backup copy, restoring the damaged areas is easy and safe.

In addition to the backup copy of the system areas there is a special AVG-SOS program stored on the rescue disk to handle the saved data.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark Miller
10-03-2004, 12:02 PM
If using Xp and you do not want to go thru Sylvanders great suggestions and checking if ie was in a restricted zone did not work, try System restore.
Has bailed me out many times
Mark :)

Pomodoro
10-03-2004, 01:45 PM
'fraid I'm still in the dark ages folks. Windows 98 (first edition too). I checked the restricted sites tho' and that was empty.

Sylvander
10-03-2004, 06:10 PM
If you spot a configuration problem within 5 startups you can use the "scanreg /restore" command to restore a backup of a good set of configuration file settings.
[These backups are made automatically by Windows at each successful startup.]

Otherwise, perhaps you should scan for infection using an online virus scan, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and HijackThis.

Try deleting all "Temporary Internet Files" and configuring IE to refresh at every visit to a web page.
Perhaps the saved copies include "Cannot find server" and "The page cannot be displayed" and IE isn't refreshing.

matt012
10-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Kazaa has had problems with viruses, and past versions of Kazaa has had a virus within it. On a desktop computer, I used to have Kazaa, and I uninstalled it one time. After that, Internet Explorer could not access the internet. The Kazaa files messed up all of the internet stuff on Windows. I had to take it into a PC repair shop, and they took it from there. I now use WinMX.

Pomodoro
10-04-2004, 05:14 PM
Well lots thanks to all for their suggestions, but I finally cracked it today. I noticed there was a program mdm.exe running and checked it in a list of know programs http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/SWDetail.asp?fn=MDM.EXE. Although it seemed innocent enough, I followed the procedure to disable it (In Internet Explorer, click Tools | Internet Options | Advanced. Under the Browsing section, check the box next to "Disable script debugging."). This seems to have done the trick, but I have no idea why. What a waste of time!

Budfred
10-04-2004, 07:04 PM
When you install Kazaa you get more than one trojan. The 2 things you removed are probably only part of the puzzle... I suggest you post a HijackThis log to check and see if you have other garbage still there... To run HJT, extract it to a permanent folder such as one you create like C:\HJT. Close all open windows and browsers and make sure that all programs are enabled if you use msconfig. Run it and Scan, then Save the log. When the log window appears, Right click to Copy it, open your browser and come here to Paste the entire log. Do not make any changes until it is checked since most items are either benign or essential to the computer.

Pomodoro
10-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Appreciate you taking a look:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 01:18:44 AM, on 07/10/04
Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\DEFWATCH.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\RTVSCN95.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\STARTER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HP CD-WRITER\MMENU\HPCDTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\VPTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HP CD-WRITER\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZONEALARM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\MY DOCUMENTS\HIJACK THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
C:\MY DOCUMENTS\HIJACK THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", ""); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\qcjrkytx.slt\prefs.j s)
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CPROGRAM%20FILES%5CNETSCAPE%5CNETSCAPE%5Csea rchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\qcjrkytx.slt\prefs.j s)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP CD-Writer] C:\Program Files\HP CD-Writer\Mmenu\hpcdtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] c:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adaptec DirectCD] C:\PROGRA~1\HPCD-W~1\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NavRegReminder] "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\NAVBROWSER.EXE" /r /i "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\NavLoad.ini"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiCwd32] Aticwd32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiQiPcl] AtiQiPcl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [defwatch] c:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\defwatch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [V128IID] Rundll32.exe c:\windows\SYSTEM\v128iitw.dll,STB_InitTweak
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [V128IITV] Rundll32.exe c:\windows\SYSTEM\v128iitv.dll,STBTV_SwitchTo640x4 80
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [rtvscn95] c:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\rtvscn95.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - Global Startup: ZoneAlarm.lnk = C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mpg: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O16 - DPF: {238F6F83-B8B4-11CF-8771-00A024541EE3} (Citrix ICA Client) - http://demoroom.citrix.com/Citrix/ICAWEB/en/ica32/wficac.cab
O16 - DPF: {5242A5A1-EF1E-11D5-B3EE-0050DAC5EBD0} (printQuick Browser Add In (Ver4)) - http://www.pqpc.com/plugin/axversion/1410/printQuick1410.cab
O16 - DPF: {33564D57-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} - http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/6/E/F6E491A6-77E1-4E20-9F5F-94901338C922/wmv9VCM.CAB
O16 - DPF: {A8F2B9BD-A6A0-486A-9744-18920D898429} (ScorchPlugin Class) - http://www.sibelius.com/download/software/win/ActiveXPlugin.cab

Budfred
10-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Well, it looks like you may have been lucky, your look looks clean... Unfortunately, you posted with the old version of HJT and it may have missed something... If you want to be sure, use the link in my signature and download the latest version 1.98.2.....