PDA

View Full Version : wireless networking issues

spooky71
10-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Hello.
Thank you for you time!
I have an HP Pavilion notebook with an integrated wireless B card. The card has always been sporadic with connecting when a signal is available, but it was no big deal at the time. Now that I have cable internet, I wanted to go wireless. I connected a D-Link wireless router, but was still having issues. It would find the signal, but when I tried to connect (check “allow me to connect…,), but it doesn’t connect, just keeps telling me there are 1 or more available. Tech support had me try a bunch of things, and ended up telling me I needed a wireless G card, so I bought one. After I installed the software and card, it worked great…54Kbps wireless! Exactly what I wanted. After rebooting my notebook later in the day, the G card started giving me the same sporadic connection issues as the B card! Sometimes it will connect at 54 for a little while, but will then drop down to 11Mbps or less, and sometimes will say it’s connected but no data will transfer.
It’s hard to explain it all here, so I was hoping this is an issue others have run into.
I am about ready to return the card and router, but that defeats the purpose of a wireless notebook!
Thank you!

PrntRhd
10-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Do you have a microwave nearby?
Do you have a 2.4 GHz telephone in the place?
Both can interfere with wireless networks.

classicsoftware
10-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Is it always in the same location you are having the problem?

Does it occur when you move from place to place?

Does it occur at a specific time of day?

spooky71
10-08-2004, 12:45 AM
No microwave or cordless phone. We just moved from the east coast to Hawaii, and it's doing the same thing it was doing then.
Seemed to get worse at night, but today I couldn't get it right at all.
Could it be something with the url? I don't know how to check...