PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Dialup Internet Via Wireless Router

Syndrome
10-25-2004, 12:24 AM
Hey all,

Im fairly non-technical as it comes to computers, so if you could keep the technical talk down to a minimum it might help me a bit.

here is my problem:
I have 2 computers, one a main computer (hosting the dialup internet) and one a laptop (which i wish to share that internet connection with). Both computers have a wireless card (wireless G), and I am using a Linksys wireless G router. Both computers are running windows XP professional with service pack 2, and the network is all set up. The firewalls are OFF, the internet connection is set to "shared", and i can view the computers through the workgroup, and swap files back and forth without a problem, so obviously the computers are communicating.

However the internet connection will not share. I have the main computer (the one with the dialup connected) setup using the "setup a home/small office network" utility to "this comuter connects directly to the internet, and other computers connect to it through a router/lan" and i have the laptop set up the other way, so it connects througha remote computer.

When i go into network connections, it shows my dialup connection as connected/shared, my wireless connection as connected, and my "internet gateway" as disabled. however it will not enable itself.. i click on enable, it sits and thinks and says "connecting" but then it just goes back to disabled again.

This process IS possible according to some friends of mine who have done it before, and i myself have done it in the past... however it just wont seem to connect and share the dialup internet connection this time..

any ideas?

FastLearner
11-04-2004, 10:46 PM
good situation here. i don't claim to have the answer you're looking for, unfortunately. But my question to you is if you are using a router, then shouldn't it be the router that is connected to the WAN--and not any one individual computer? Also you referred to one of the computers as the one with the dial-up connection set up, but also said that both of your computers are equipped with wireless lan cards. i see one of two possible solutions, and like i said take it with a grain of salt because i am no expert either. It sounds like your router is not even coming into the equation during connection attempts. If your router is turned off, does the wireless connection between the two computers still work? Just curious. What sort of modem are you using? Is it possible that your NIC and modem in your desktop are fighting with one another? I'm sorry if my questions sound amateur, but I'm about as non-technical as you say you are...:) It looks like I am also going to learn a lot from your situation when someone like PrntRhd finally comes and rescues us! Good luck to you.

Syndrome
11-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Ok.. here are the answers to your questions. The Router "does" seem to be one of the problems... I cannot seem to set up a "direct connection" between my two computers, so I am forced to used adhoc mode (with the router). As soon as I turn the router off, the connection is severed. The modem is a U.S Robotics 56K dialup modem. And it doesnt seem that the modem and the NIC are fighting, becasue they are both working independantly. Meaning that I can be surfing the internet, and ALSO be connected and swapping files between the computers over the wireless network. I just simply cannot "share" the internet between the computers.

FastLearner
11-07-2004, 05:43 PM
couple things to check while we wait for the experts:

do you have NAT enabled on your router?
Enabling it will allow you to hide a group of computers behind one IP address.

are you using static IP addresses or DHCP?

In the case of shared internet access in your case, you will need to have two connections to your main computer (the one sharing the connection in your setup)--a connection to your ISP (your modem), as well as a connection to your other computer (your router does have built in hub, yes?). I'm not seeing the second connection in your case.

Anyway, if you're sure everything is set up correctly on the computer that is sharing the modem connection, check some of these browser settings on your laptop's Firefox or Internet Explorer options menu (don't do this on your main computer):

-automatic detection of proxy server should not be selected
-use a proxy server should not be selected
-disable any dial-up features so that it does not attempt to dial its own connection

BTW, "sharing" a dial up connection will provide a very slow connection, but it is, as you say, possible.

pave_spectre
11-07-2004, 09:09 PM
On the laptop go to Start ---> Run -->cmd and type ipconfig /all

Make sure the IP address is in the 192.168.0.* range and you also want to find the item labeled Default Gateway and make sure it is the same as the IP address of the network card on the machine connected to the internet.

stpoets
11-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Was this topic ever figured out? I am wanting to do the same thing myself.

PC with dial-up connection with ICS turned on.

Laptop w/ wirless card

PC connected to WAP/router via cat5 to port 1-4 - doesn't work, can't even access router setup (looking for internet connection), using Netgear wireless G

My thought, add a second NIC to the pc w/ dialup. one cat5 to port 1-4 the other to the WAN port????

Any thoughts?

FastLearner
12-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Since every network problem is different, it may be best if you started a new thread. I'm assuming the advice Pave gave him worked since his last response was more than three weeks ago. In your new thread, please detail what you have tried so far to resolve the problem. Also, more specific details about your setup would be helpful. Thanks, and see you there...:)

vbpeepee
12-13-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm new here, just finished signing up. I've got a question about an Xbox. Friend of mine has a laptop that has an ethernet port AND a wireless NIC. He does not want to buy the $100 adapter that microsoft makes for the Xbox. Is there any way he could set up the laptop to access the internet though the wireless card and have the access shared through the ehternet port?

classicsoftware
12-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Dear vbpeepee:

Welcome to the http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif forums.

Please create a new post for your question.

bubbah
01-09-2005, 12:29 AM
any progress here...I am still stumped. My situation is a dell dimension 4400 pIV2.0 256mb 40gb xpHomeSP2 w/56k dialup (att.net) and a usb2.0 wireless b/g adapter connected to usb1.1 (adapter says it is compatible) and an IBM x31 pIII1.4 512mb 40gb winXPproSP2 laptop with built in a/b/g adapter that I know works having used it in a hotel. Both computers "see" each other but will not show shared folders nor share internet connection (they are close together). When I connect via ethernet crossover cable they do everything!! Drat!! I'm stumped!!

gght
01-09-2005, 08:55 PM
You'll need to go into your router and change the Local IP Address to 192.168.0.254 (leave mask as 255.255.255.0). You have to do this because ICS uses the 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.250 range. You can change ICS's DHCP range, but it requires editing the registry. It's safer to edit the router.

You'll also need to disable the router's DHCP server (on the same page). Leave the Internet Connection Type set to Automatic Configuration - DHCP. That is for broadband use and doesn't concern us dial-uppers.

Next, setup ICS on the host computer. It will then assign an IP to the host as 192.168.0.1. You should be able to connect to your router again. Make a setup disk when you setup ICS which you'll use for setting up ICS on your other computers. (Note: You can setup ICS manually by assigning IP addresses to each PC. If you go this route, I think you can leave the router IP alone, and just use the 192.168.1.x range. It is much easir to use the setup disk method.)

By the way, if ICS setup fails on one of the PC's, do it again. I've found that this sometimes happens but is successful the next time.

I'll be glad to help those who have questions with using dial-up ICS across a Linksys 54G router. Email me at NOSPAMgght@bellsouth.net (take off the NOSPAM)

On the other hand, you can always drop the router and setup an ad hoc network (your wireless adapters talk to each other). But this is usually limited to 11Mbps, and I've found to have low signal strength, too.

I can't get broadband in my area yet. But when it comes, I'll have my wireless equipment ready and waiting. I've got a good modem (USR 5610B), and good line connection, and Bellsouth's accelerator. With that, I can surf with DSL speeds, except for downloads.

bubbah
01-10-2005, 02:31 PM
"On the other hand, you can always drop the router and setup an ad hoc network (your wireless adapters talk to each other). But this is usually limited to 11Mbps, and I've found to have low signal strength, too."

When I began reading your reply above I was elated thinking it to be quite specific. Yet, where I am (2 adapters, no router) I am stuck. Please continue your excellent step-by-step with a view toward allowing me to set up ICS for my dial-up on my dell computer sharing with my IBM laptop. Specifications here: My situation is a dell dimension 4400 pIV2.0 256mb 40gb xpHomeSP2 w/56k dialup (att.net) and a usb2.0 wireless b/g adapter connected to usb1.1 (adapter says it is compatible) and an IBM x31 pIII1.4 512mb 40gb winXPproSP2 laptop with built in a/b/g adapter that I know works having used it in a hotel. Both computers "see" each other but will not show shared folders nor share internet connection (they are close together). When I connect via ethernet crossover cable they do everything!!

TIA

bubbah
01-10-2005, 02:35 PM
oh yes:

"BTW, "sharing" a dial up connection will provide a very slow connection, but it is, as you say, possible."

How slow? Slower than it is now? This assuming only the "guest" (in my case the IBM laptop winXPpro) will be using the dial-up connection and the "host" (in my case the dell desktop winXPhome) will be the passive "server."

bubbah
01-10-2005, 02:44 PM
further:

are you saying I would get better "speed" for ICS of dial-up connection if I get a router even though it will NOT have broadband connection?

FastLearner
01-11-2005, 09:26 PM
First, Adding a router will not increase your Internet speed. If you pay for dial-up service, then you will receive dial-up service at 56kbps no matter how you connect.

Adding a router would help if you ever wanted to add more computers to your home network, and would most likely ease parts of the setup for you, but that's about it.

If sharing an Internet connection is what you would like to do, then you will need to configure ICS on both host and client machines. Just type the end of that last sentence into a google search and you're sure to find the info--don't have my links in front of me.

The wireless adapters are how your machines can "see" each other and is what will eventually make sharing the Internet (as well as other files and/or printer, etc.) possible. To do this you need to create network "shares," which are basically just folders or files that you tell Windows you would like to share. Unless you do this, you will not be able to share files between the computers.

dynatos
01-20-2005, 01:40 AM
If you want to use the router, have you followed the instructions posted?

1) Dissable DHCP on your Router
2) Make sure your Local IsP is 192.168.0.1 through 192.168.0.254 (Set the Router's Local IP to 192.168.0.254). Linksys by default uses 192.168.1.1, so change it to 192.168.0.254.
3) Go through the Network Wizard and set up each machine.

http://www.twiga.ltd.uk/rdu.asp This is a great utility so that you can enable/disable the dial-up connection from your laptop.

bubbah
01-20-2005, 01:05 PM
I do not have a router...I have 2 adapters (winXPhome desktop has USB b/g adapter and winXPpro laptop has built in a/b/g adapter).

gght
01-21-2005, 11:34 AM
<<I do not have a router...I have 2 adapters (winXPhome desktop has USB b/g adapter and winXPpro laptop has built in a/b/g adapter).>>

If you don't have a router, then you will need to setup the two wireless adapters to operate in an ad hoc environment. The steps involved in doing this varies from card to card. Linksys, installs a program which allows you to setup profiles. One of the preferences in the profile is infrastructure (not you) or ad hoc (you). You'll also need to pick a channel.

Motorola cards, on the other hand, don't have this program. You have to do all the settings in the network adapter properties. ON THE PC WITH THE PRIMARY MODEM, call up My Network Places and find your wireless network icon. Right click and select properties. Next click the configure button. Choose the Advanced tab. Go through the properties and set ad hoc, and ALSO select a channel. Click OK.

Go back to the first tab (General). Double click Internet Protocol TCP/IP. Use the following IP address: 192.168.0.1, with a mask of 255.255.255.0 (this should automatically fill in). You don't need to set gateway or DNS IP's.

Now, call up My Network Places, and Select Setup a home or office network. The steps are very straight-forward, so I won't list them all, here. Just make sure to create a setup-disk at the end of the routine. This can be saved to a floppy or a USB drive which must be plugged in before you get to that step.

Note: If you have a 1394 connection listed in your Network Places, ICS will attempt, and usually succeeds in bridging the 1394 to the wireless card. This is not a problem, but useless overhead. I disable my 1394 and deselect it during the setup. After I'm finished, I re-enable the 1394. Also, if the setup fails, run it again. It most always succeeds the second time around. Don't let Windows do anything automatic. Instead, take control where you have the option to do so (this will allow you to deselect the 1394 as being a part of the network).

Now, that I've totally confused you, take the setup-disk (or USB drive) to the other computer. Before running the file on the setup-disk, set the IP address to 192.168.0.2, mask 255.255.255.0. Next setup the wireless card just like you did above (ad hoc mode, same channel). Next run the file located on the setup disk (named nwtsetup.exe, or something like that). You'll go through the same routine as you did on the other PC. Again, take control to remove the 1394. At the end of the routine, it will ask you if you want to create a setup disk. Since we've already done that, just say no, and finish.

At this point, both adapters should talk to each other. The second PC should now have a new icon in network places. I'm not at home, so I can't recall the name. Anyhow, double clicking the icon will dial the modem on the primary PC IF you have allowed this option on the primary PC. The option is found in the dialer properties. If you go into Connect To, and right click on the dialer, you'll find options to allow other PC's to connect/disconnect the modem.

Anyhow, you can always dial on the primary PC, and the secondary PC should act like an "always on" connection to the Internet, i.e., start Mozilla and surf the Internet.

Troubleshooting: try pinging each PC. on the primary PC, Click Start, Run, type in CMD, press enter. At the prompt, type ping 192.168.0.2. If you get "Request Timed Out", then your wireless adapters are not seeing each other, and/or your IP address on the second computer is not 192.168.0.2. You can also try the ping on the secondary computer (ping 192.168.0.1).

It sounds complicated, but it's rather straightforward. Key things to remember are: use same the properties on both adapters, use the same class of IP's (192.168.0.x range and same mask 255.255.255.0), run the setup routine for setting up a home network. Play with it for a while. It'll all come to you.

P.S. The above instructions are for Windows XP (specifically XP Professional). Your OS may vary, but the same holds true. ICS was introduced in Windows 98, however.

bubbah
01-21-2005, 01:03 PM
all above now acomplished. the "guest" account on the laptop is enabled. is there something I need to do about security now (WAP)? it is now disabled. I had trouble with the "bridge" windows wanted to create with the wired lan so now there is no bridge and all works well. the desktop is winXPhomeSP2 with dialup internet. the laptop is winXPproSP2. there are 2 adapters...no router.

gght
01-21-2005, 03:34 PM
I forgot a couple of things above, just in case anybody needs the info. Like I mentioned, I'm not on my wireless computer, so everything I wrote is what I remembered. When Windows detects the adapter, it should display an icon in the Task Bar notification area. Right clicking this icon, and selecting "View available Networks" will open a new window. Here, you can setup the wireless ad hoc environment (Add new, or Configure if it's already there), set the SSID, and check the option that this is an ah hoc network.

This is also where you enable WEP for data encryption. Read the following site (it's 2-3 years old, but still pertains to this situation).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

I don't use WEP, instead I use Mac address filtering through the router. The chances of someone eavesdropping on my home network are slim to none, so Mac filtering was a more logically option for me. It's not 100% bulletproof, but it's good enough for a layer of security. I don't think anyone living around me even knows what a wireless LAN is or does, so I'm not too worried about someone sitting outside my house, attempting to spoof one of my MAC addresses.

Personally, I can't answer for setting up WEP, but it seems to be a rather simple process. Good Luck.

gght
01-21-2005, 03:44 PM
<<all above now acomplished.>>

Are you saying you can see each computer, share files and folders (which are marked to be shared), and surf the Internet on the secondary PC?

bubbah
01-21-2005, 03:55 PM
yes...
I just wonder if there is any advantage to setting up further security i.e. WAP in my application???

gght
01-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Concerning WEP: See the 1:34 pm post (three above this post). If you think your wireless Ah hoc network will be accessible outside your house, and you have close neighbors, and you have sensitive information on your computer, then you might want to look at enabling WEP. Otherwise, I wouldn't go through the trouble. You may want to do it just as a learning experiencing, however.

FastLearner
01-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Use WAP if you have it and you think there is a chance someone can eavesdrop on your wireless network. It is the best available encryption for home wireless routers (as of this post). There is absolutely no good reason not to use it, except some would argue that the performance hits with WAP are too big (up to 60% in some cases!). If your network is too slow with WAP, at least use WEP. It will still be a bit slower than no encryption, but the protection is still okay--not perfect, but okay. In addition, you can utilize things like MAC address filtering (as mentioned above) and set your router not to accept configuration changes from a wireless connection. Of course, this means that you need to have one computer hard wired with CAT 5 cable to change your settings--having one machine connected with cat 5 to router is always a good idea, anyway.

i an not a nerd
01-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Yes, don't try and change the setting over the wireless connection. It messes it up.

i an not a nerd
01-25-2005, 12:15 AM
And also try setting the routers ip adress to 192.168.0.155

it works for me

bubbah
01-25-2005, 12:40 AM
I don't have a router, just 2 adapters ...will WEP work that way?

FastLearner
01-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Sure, if you have Windows XP. See this (http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Mobile/8508803/8508803e.htm) link to find out how to set up WEP on your ad hoc wireless network. Just make sure to check the box that indicates that you are not using an Access point.

bubbah
01-25-2005, 12:22 PM
dank u well!