PDA

View Full Version : Likely ban of registration from disposable email account providers

Charles Kozierok
10-25-2004, 03:49 PM
I am growing sick and tired of the spam. Today's incident with one guy registering two different accounts using yahoo addresses and posting a fake back and forth discussion to promote his web site is the last straw.

Unless someone can give me a very good reason not to, I am banning further registrations from yahoo.com and hotmail.com and possibly a few others if they become an issue. Every spammer we have had on the site in the last few months -- without exception -- has used either yahoo or hotmail.

Those who are currently registered using those email providers will not be affected. --c

stefanus
10-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Charles you are the BOSS!!

david eaton
10-25-2004, 05:04 PM
I see no reason to disagree. These spammers should be shot!

pentachris
10-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Right, right. I've belonged to other forums in the past with the same ban.

jlreich
10-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Best idea I've heard in a long time! :D :D :D :D

Mark Miller
10-25-2004, 05:37 PM
Good idea Charles,
Some of the other places I have been will not even let you register without what they call a legitimate e-mail address.
No hotmail not yahoo without verification of another [your paying for it] address.
so you won't be the first and will probably help withe spam.
Mark

deddard
10-25-2004, 05:55 PM
No arguments here - you've been patient long enough.

classicsoftware
10-25-2004, 06:23 PM
Since we can't shoot them in the knee caps (darn), at least keep them off the site.

Budfred
10-25-2004, 06:52 PM
You got my vote!! :D

Donn
10-25-2004, 07:55 PM
I guess you passed on the 'calling in an air-strike' option, huh? Well, I too have been on forums that would not accept Hotmail or Yahoo, and that was a long time ago.

I assume that if one of us has to transfer over to something like G-Mail that we would clear it through you first? I may have to do that especially if I get rid of Earthlink for one of the cheaper (but less storage space) ISPs.

:cool:

pop pop
10-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Ya gotta do whatcha gotta do. As long as I'm grandfathered, so be it. And even if I wsn't, I have a qualiifying account. That's my "real" personal one that I don't give out to just anyone.

Whyzman
10-25-2004, 10:51 PM
Go for it! http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/wink.gif

PrntRhd
10-25-2004, 11:06 PM
Not a problem here, I'm just tired of the argumentative attitudes of this class of spammers. They ask for help like real forum newbies, and then refuse the advise, then pitch their crap.
:mad:

Paleo Pete
10-25-2004, 11:37 PM
The only legitimate reason I've seen for allowing those addresses is that many people don't even realize they can and do have email access through their ISP. And I agreed with that.

However...in view of the recent spam problem, I have to go along with the unanimous opinion already voiced as well.

Go for it.

Mark Miller
10-26-2004, 09:45 AM
Pete,
Your so right .
My wife , whos been on line for 8 years did not realise that she had her own e-mail address from our isp [cable].
One of the reasons we have had to keep aol for her

ErnieK
10-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Way to go Charles! :D
Totally agree!

bassman
10-26-2004, 07:39 PM
Absolutly agree Charles. The fact that we all have assigned e-mail addresses with our services and should be using that for registration is enough for me. Spam just makes this all that more justifiable!

:eek: What if we all attacked their web site e-mail with thousands of blank ( or nothing importan to say) e-mails? Flood their system with GO AWAY!!! messages. That would be fun :D :D

stefanus
10-27-2004, 08:27 AM
Does that mean "STOOP TO CONQUER" :cool:

Abbadon
10-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Since this will reduce spam, I cannot but applaud it. Perhaps it would be a good idea to include what pete said...

The only legitimate reason I've seen for allowing those addresses is that many people don't even realize they can and do have email access through their ISP.
Go for it.

...with some extra info in a sticky or somesuch. That way, people will realise their options and can still join if they really want to.

jabarnutcase
10-27-2004, 10:17 AM
I completely agree....anything that might help to reduce Spam is ALWAYS a good thing.

Especially since "Those who are currently registered using those email providers will not be affected". :p

I must admit, I'm using a Hotmail account here....have from the beginning.
Certainly not because I wasn't aware of my "free" POP3 account provided by my ISP, but simply because I have always used "disposable" email addresses for forums and many other on-line ventures.

Ironically, for this very reason. So when I got Spammed to death, I could just get rid of the thing and get a new one.
Amazingly, this particular Hotmail account rarely gets spam.

I may even switch over my personal settings to my POP3 account here just to honor this decision though.
Only a select few get that address. I would say this place qualifies as one of the "select few" :p ;)

Abbadon's idea isn't such a bad one either. As he and Pete stated, it's unbelievable how many people don't realize they have "free" email available from their ISP.
Case in point...My sister-in-law was complaining about AOL and when I asked why she was using it, she said she needed it for the email.

I called up her cable provider and it turns out she had FIVE free POP3 accounts available she didn't know about! Yes, that's right...FIVE!
(No fair! I only get two) I can get more, but they cost extra. :( :p
Anyway....I agree. Go for it!

Man! Yap much jabar??? :rolleyes:

Paleo Pete
10-28-2004, 12:59 AM
Only a select few get that address. I would say this place qualifies as one of the "select few"

I haven't looked, so I might be wrong, but last time I checked, (admittedly long ago) you could set your preferences so your email address is not displayed, then if someone needs it you can send it privately by PM.

As he and Pete stated, it's unbelievable how many people don't realize they have "free" email available from their ISP.

Qhen I first joined the forums, I used my Yahoo account, which is no longer in existence, for the same reason stated above. Very few people get the private address. I'm still using a web based email address, but for the moment I don't have an ISP based one, I'm using my father's account and they only offer ONE email address. For more $ per month than anyone else in town...that's about to change too...

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure this will affect potential members who are not aware of their ISP based accounts, but I don't see how it can be avoided. Web based email addresses have been a thorn in the side for sites like this one for a long time, and will continue to serve the morally challenged for a long time to come. I think it really sucks that it also has to have an adverse effect on legitimate individuals who are interested, but if it has become this big a problem I don't see any other choices. We've had way too much spam recently, more in one month than the entire rest of the time the forums have existed.

OK I'll get off my soapbox... :rolleyes:

Eelskraps
10-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Probably the reason for increased spam is the same as the reason for increased membership (like me)... more exposure on search engines.

My only caveat about this change is for people like me... I use a generic email acount from microsoft (it still says .msn instead of .hotmail if that tells you how old it is) because Ihave moved many times and changed ISPs many times as well and wanted to know that I have one long term email addy. I have 5 emails from my isp and choose not to use any of them because who knows, next month I may have a different one.

The only other thing to think of is that for a lot of people (like my wife) hotmail can now be a paid account. She pays like $15 a year and gets more web space, more inbox space, and no banners.

As for Spam accounts, thats prolly gonna happen anyway. Limit hotmail and yahoo, next you will be adding the new @mail.com and the others =)

Okay Ive rambled on enough for the new guy but I gotta say I love it here and I believe the only way to belong in a community is to share thoughts so I did =)

stefanus
10-28-2004, 10:11 AM
I use a Pop 3 acc. but it is certainly not free.I could be wrong! Define free? Every time I log on I pay somwhere down the line.

Charles Kozierok
10-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure this will affect potential members who are not aware of their ISP based accounts, but I don't see how it can be avoided. Web based email addresses have been a thorn in the side for sites like this one for a long time, and will continue to serve the morally challenged for a long time to come. I think it really sucks that it also has to have an adverse effect on legitimate individuals who are interested, but if it has become this big a problem I don't see any other choices. We've had way too much spam recently, more in one month than the entire rest of the time the forums have existed.

That's pretty much where I am too. I didn't want to do it, but I'm tired of dealing with the almost daily spam, which is only going to get worse.

The block has now been implemented. We'll have to see how it goes. --c

jabarnutcase
10-28-2004, 02:07 PM
And so it goes......... ;)

And Pete:
I haven't looked, so I might be wrong, but last time I checked, (admittedly long ago) you could set your preferences so your email address is not displayed, then if someone needs it you can send it privately by PM.Yep- That is an option in the user CP and is the way I have always had it set...Thanks. :)

And stefanus:
I use a Pop 3 acc. but it is certainly not free.I could be wrong! Define free? Every time I log on I pay somewhere down the line.
When I referred to "Free" accounts, notice I put quotes around it a few times?
You are quite right....what is truly Free these days?

I simply meant that you are already paying your Internet Service Provider a monthly access fee, and in most cases this includes one or several email accounts at no extra cost. (ISP's vary with options, extra costs incurred, etc.)
Generally though, the bill is the same whether you use them or not. (Or whether you are even aware you have that option or not! Which, as mentioned, is the case with many people) :p

Whyzman
10-28-2004, 03:18 PM
My thought was to require an ISP provided email in order to register on the PCGuide. This would be available only to Charles and the mods unless the user was willing to disclose it for general contact here.

The ISP provided email would be used for initial registration and return of the user's password.

Am I missing something in my thought process??

Mark Miller
10-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Ixl,
my question to you [not really for myself] but what account types are not goingto allowed?
The reason I ask is now certain hotmail and yahoo mail clients do cost money.
Mark

Whyzman
10-28-2004, 05:57 PM
Also, is it that the use of the so called "disposable" emails provides a level of anonymity where the spammer/abuser believes they are "untouchable?"

Is it that an ISP email lends a modicum of "responsibility/accountability" to the mix?

Many, such as AOL, of course have multiple email/screen names available. Is the idea that even if someone switches using a reputable ISP that the ISP could be contacted regarding the situation?

Just trying to get a handle on the logistics...:)

stefanus
10-28-2004, 06:17 PM
So soorryy. slap,slap. (On the wrist) :o ;)

I agree just do as necesary!

tweeky
10-28-2004, 06:36 PM
IXL I think it's a good idea but just wanted to point out that not all isp's give out e-mail addresses. The current isp I have is BT and they don't give out e-mail addresses on their 512kb broadband service or their BT broadband basic service as shown in the quote from their help section below, also in another help topic they direct you to hotmail, yahoo and talk21 free webmail providers.

Question
Can I access my email account with BT Broadband?

Answer
It depends on whether you have a web-based email account (such as Hotmail or Yahoo!) or an email service provided by an ISP.

BT Broadband does not provide email services, so you will need a separate email provider for this, (an ISP, for example BT Openworld).

With BT Broadband you can send and receive emails from a web-based email account and from some ISPs. We recommend that you contact your ISP to find out if their email will work. Details of the ISPs who offer email services that can be accessed from BT Broadband can be found at www.bt.com/btbroadbandstart.

bassman
10-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Just a suggestion, maybe there should be a specific notice in the registration process indicating that you longer accept these type of e-mail addresses for the purpose of registration and recommend that folks check with their ISP for their "Included" e-mail address if they are not aware of it.
Just a bit more typing but we all know how much you love to write;)

Charles Kozierok
10-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Okay, this experiment has ended as quickly as it started. I am already getting puzzled emails from Hotmail people wondering why they can't register.

I'd rather deal daily with spam than with annoyed people who just need PC help. So I removed the ban.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.... --c

John0904
10-29-2004, 12:53 PM
I am already getting puzzled emails from Hotmail people wondering why they can't register.

When they tried to register, were they warned that hotmail or yahoo e-mails are not accepted?

Example:
Do NOT use a "free" email provider (or a "Web based" email provider). We do not accept those. Please use the email address provided by your ISP. This policy is in place to reduce Abuse on our forum. We do not sell your email address to spammers; we hate spam as much as you do!

Or something to that effect. :)

Mark Miller
10-29-2004, 01:01 PM
John,
I think Ixl's problem is with all the people who have registered already.
Mark

John0904
10-29-2004, 01:35 PM
Mark,
ixl has stated that those who are currently registered using those email providers will not be affected.
It would only affect new people that try to register.

Personally, I feel that something has to be done. As several people have said in this thread, the problem will only get worse. Unfortunately, that is a given.
Give spammers an inch, they will take a mile.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of spam.

Abbadon
10-29-2004, 01:51 PM
unfortunatly, the alternative is that people who use hotmail or similar will be forced to set up a pop-account if they want to join the forum. That's gonna turn quiete a few people away I think.

sigh

just another way the internet gets f****d up by spammers & the like these days...

malcore
10-29-2004, 02:05 PM
That's gonna turn quiete a few people away I think. I agree. If a ban on web mail had been implemented at the time I joined this forum, I would never have joined. I refuse to supply my business/personal e-mail to anyone but close friends and associates, just as I rarely offer my phone number.

This site has gone from averaging 15 to 20 people online at any given time to 75 to 100 people online. Quite a jump! With that will come more undesirables. An unfortunate consequence for webmasters.

BlackViper has a number of times implemented a ban on block IP addresses, mostly in Asia. I understand his troubles, but punishing innocent people for the abuse by a minority is always unfortunate and something I personally don't approve. Needless to say, I don't care if I can visit BlackViper's site anymore. I have put my own ban on his site.

My suggestion for ixl is to hack the software, somehow disabling the posting of links until after the user has 20 or so posts, or because of the increased traffic here, appoint another moderator or two to ease the burden on him and Pete.

PS- Nice job on the new vB software.

pentachris
10-29-2004, 02:27 PM
...or because of the increased traffic here, appoint another moderator or two to ease the burden on him and Pete.

I was thinking a day or two ago maybe that would be a good idea.

I don't want to put anyone on the spot by calling names, but I think we have a few qualified candidates.

Mark Miller
10-29-2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks John,
I had also been thinking the same thing as far as moderators if the traffic continues the way it has been.
Mark

stefanus
10-29-2004, 03:05 PM
ANY OFFERS? Keeping in mind it is a time and patience consuming task.

Steve
10-29-2004, 06:15 PM
We had far less traffic than we currently do when ixl and Pete decided to add mjc as co-moderator. Seeing that mjc has returned to the mothership and traffic is up considerably, maybe another mod or two might be a good idea.

I really don't like the idea of banning folks before they have done anything wrong. Charles, I'm glad you reversed the email ban.... ;)

Charles Kozierok
10-29-2004, 08:52 PM
My suggestion for ixl is to hack the software, somehow disabling the posting of links until after the user has 20 or so posts

This may be possible within the vB software itself. Not sure how complex it is to set up, however.

It's something I was thinking of investigating myself. But I think people will just find ways around it (spamming doesn't require direct links of course.) --c

Charles Kozierok
10-29-2004, 08:53 PM
A new moderator is a definite possibility. mjc said the last time he was around that he would return, he's just busy.. but I think a couple of more mods is a good idea anyway. --c

pentachris
10-29-2004, 09:09 PM
A new moderator is a definite possibility. mjc said the last time he was around that he would return, he's just busy.. but I think a couple of more mods is a good idea anyway. --c

So, what's the protocol? Nominations from the floor?

Mark Miller
10-29-2004, 10:48 PM
We can all think of the same people who would make great moderators here. But I think someone[s] would have to volunteer and talk it over with Ixl and Pete only because of the commitment in time and energy.
Not an easy job
IMHO
Mark

Whyzman
10-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Sounds good pent...seems to me that's kind of how we handled things before when mjc also took the reins...

I realize Budfred has been spending quite a bit of time fighting crime in the spyware forums these days, but I would certainly nominate him. Bright might be an understatement describing his ability to assimilate computer knowledge. His desire to help others also is without question.

Most importantly, a good moderator needs the wisdom to know how to deal with people, when it's time to step in and when to "coach." I have appreciated Budfred's civility in the midst of controversy (definitely demonstrated in the After Hours Forum) and his leadership qualities.

I believe he would be an excellent compliment to our existing moderators.

Also, I would nominate Paul Komski. Paul's computer brilliance never ceases to amaze me! His desire to help others also goes without question. Paul has also demonstrated wisdom by pretty much steering clear of the After Hours Forum! ;)

Paleo Pete
10-29-2004, 11:28 PM
I've thought for a good while that restricting the posting of links for the first 10 or so posts would be a good idea, and I think it was suggested in another thread too. Might have even been my suggestion, but I can't remember so I won't definitely claim it...

Ixl, mjc and I have also already discussed the possibility of another moderator, but we've been dragging our feet and haven't done anything about it yet. I think another moderator would be a good idea, I can barely read through everything each night, much less handle all the editing, moving/closing threads and so forth that has to be done. As it is I don't usually leave here and crawl into bed till I'm wearing little square impressions on my forehead...Seems like I remember seeing RTYU in the mirror one night...

I contacted one member a couple of months ago and asked if he would accept such an appointment, and he declined due to other commitments that would tie up too much time if he were to try and deal with both. I have another in mind to nominate, but will not disclose a user name publicly at this time. Suggestions will of course be welcome and seriously considered...OK, unless his initials are Fruss Tray Ted :D Just kidding, couldn't resist poking a bit of fun at ya. :rolleyes:

Steve
10-30-2004, 07:35 AM
If we're going to put names into nomination, I'd like to see Mark Miller consider the job. Mark's a real nice guy and seems to have the forums best interest at heart. He has also shown his moderate nature in some of the more energetic After Hours discussions. Being retired, he might have the time to devote to the task.

Budfred
10-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Well for nominations I think we need to think about someone who is wise... A wise women or even a wise man... Someone who is not afraid to ask "why" as the soul of scientific inquiry... Whyzman, what do you think?? :D

Of course we could go with someone who is a little more on the obsessive side since it does require a lot of attention to detail... Someone who isn't afraid to jabber on to make a point... maybe a bit of a nutcase... any ideas about who might fit that bill jabarnutcase?? :D

Jiggy
10-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Why not have a moderator for each section of the forums, someone suited to that section ?

still have top moderators (ixl, Paleo Pete) as always.

jlreich
10-30-2004, 01:59 PM
That's a good idea Jiggy. I have seen that at other forums. It would help Take some of the load off ixl and Pete. At the same time not overwhelm other mods because they would just have to handle one section. ;)

Ixl I am glad you removed the ban. I thought it was good idea at first, but now I see it's not fair to the many people that want help but use disposable email. I am sure you will find some way to get a hold on spammers.

I find it a shame that it's such a problem we even have to talk about this. :( :mad:

Mark Miller
10-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Well since we are going to do the nomination bit I am going to put my two cents also.
Thanks Steve for the compliment but I don't think I have enough "computer" knowledge to be a moderator. In certain ways all of us are moderators because we love this place and treated it like our home.
My nominations are in no particular order.
Budfred, knowledge and since he is a moderator on another site knows the ins and outs of running a forum.
Paul Komiski, for knowledge and wanting to help.
Classicsoftware, same
Saphilline, same
Whyzman, same and the ability to add a little humor to a sticky situation.
Steve, same and having been here almost the longest really understands how Ixl wants this place run
FTT, same and also the ability to add some humor when needed
Jabernutcase, talk about someone who really cares, this is the guy.
Now I know that not everyone is going to have the time to do this, but I think that everyone of the above would be "great" moderators to help Pete and Ixl along.
I also hope Mjc eventually comes back because he really knew how to straighten someone out as far as the rules without it getting ugly. Also his knowledge was top draw.
IMHO
Mark

Fruss Tray Ted
10-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Pete,
I'm very flattered that you would nominate me in amongst other pc pro's such as yourself, ixl and mjc.

The other nominees alreadyu mentioned are much more qualified as techs than myself (and maybe Mark too) but the duties of a mod are not necessarily of expertise. My take on it is more of someone to tidy up the errant threads by putting them in the appropriate forums, handling spam post and links and quelling the extremely rare flame or spat. This, I think most any member here can handle quite well, it is probably more down to who would want the responsibility or who has the time.

For example, Whyzman has recently mentioned in a post about his 2 stressful occupations plus the volunterer work here. He may be too busy but I will let him answer that for himself. Paul 'Komputerski' ;) would have been among my top suggestions as well if the job requires vast knowledge in the pc field. I myself can only be here for portions of each day as my day job does not involve using nor being near a pc for an average of 10 hrs a day.

I'm willing to accept the nomination as a helper around here if you guys are willing to have a part-timer available to check on the forums during evenings, 'Eastern time'. I feel though, as suggested above, that possibly more than one new mod may be needed realizing the site has at least tripled traffic as of late. It's getting bigger every day too.

Sooo, when does Police Academy (http://www.thezreview.co.uk/posters/posterimages/policeacademy.jpg) begin? :D

PrntRhd
10-30-2004, 04:17 PM
FTT,
"Page Access Forbidden" is what I get on the Police Academy link?
:confused:

Mark Miller
10-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Same thing here, FTT
Page Access Forbidden.
I think your right about the tidy up part of the job, but I also think one has to have a good understanding of hardware and software so that when someone says something outrageous in a post and swears it's the gospel the Moderator can come in and say whoa. I have seen Pete and Mjc do this a number of times.
so a certain "expertise" is needed also the ability to deal with people in a courteous way.
Again IMHO
Mark
And your right I have limited computer knowledge, I'm just here for the laughs :p :p :p :p

Fruss Tray Ted
10-30-2004, 04:38 PM
here's the link, both work for me???

http://www.thezreview.co.uk/posters/posterimages/policeacademy.jpg

PrntRhd
10-30-2004, 04:54 PM
both are giving 403 forbidden here, will try another PC.

Mark Miller
10-30-2004, 05:57 PM
I just thought of another member who has both the knowledge and really seems to care about this place.
PrntRhd
Thought of it before when I was making my list but had a senior moment and forgot.
Actually he would make an excellent choice

Fruss Tray Ted
10-30-2004, 06:22 PM
Don't forget our Thailand-Canadian member malcore either as a possibility. And who is the member from Australia? CRS!

Mark, you do have a point about abilities. I'd be better suited to janitorial duties.. :o

To ixl
Back to the original question in this thread. Some forums I frequent have 2 email forms to fill out when registering. One can be seen by admins only, the other by forum members. Just a suggestion, if feasible or not, your choice.

FrankSG
10-30-2004, 07:32 PM
You've got my vote, Charles....

stefanus
10-31-2004, 08:40 AM
Mmmnnn. FTT. That Police Academy Link. Methinks I have seen it previously in these forums :cool: Talking about nominations to be a Mod`. The Old Adage." One Volunteer Is preferred To Ten Pressed Men/Women". (OOOPPS, Nearly Forgot) :D Should suffice. There are among our versatile and experienced older members, older with reference to the forums not age! those who are Mod`s and Assistants in other forums similar to these, whom I am sure would fit the criterion to assist Charles and Pete. Not withstanding those whom have already been mentioned. Re Jiggy`s idea, there are already people in the various forums who are the first to reply to questions and problems and are adept in helping to resolve them, maybe they would consider helping out? On a Mod /Assistant Mod basis. Only a thought!

Paleo Pete
10-31-2004, 11:37 PM
Pete,
I'm very flattered that you would nominate me in amongst other pc pro's such as yourself, ixl and mjc.

HUH?? Backtrack and read it again, with your GLASSES ON this time...hehe

-quote-
Suggestions will of course be welcome and seriously considered...OK, unless his initials are Fruss Tray Ted

I hate it when a good joke backfires... :rolleyes:

OK all seriousness aside...we've seen some good suggestions here, and I've already thought of a couple of them and contacted those individuals privately, both declined due to lack of time. Some of the people suggested in this thread would probably work out quite well, I've also considered asking some of them about it before any of this was posted, but never acted o it.

Keep the ideas coming.

halovivek
11-01-2004, 08:35 AM
dear sir
thanks for doing like this. valuable time is saved .
thanks

rik148755
11-02-2004, 06:41 AM
Free email is a scurge! Its your site. What you say goes. I dont blame you if you do!

Fruss Tray Ted
11-02-2004, 07:09 PM
Soo this is how I'm appreciated around here huh? :confused:

FTT,
"Mod' Page Access Forbidden" is what I get

Yep. Mee too...

Pete,
I had my beer goggles on that night. I see it in a better light this evening... ;) I'm relieved actually. Here, take this stethoscope back and let me back on that couch. Some of those dreams are,,, well, dreams! :cool:

Paleo Pete
11-03-2004, 12:27 AM
Hehe...

Sometimes I think you have way too much time on your hands... :D

LadyGrey
11-03-2004, 05:59 AM
A mod for each part of the site really seems a good idea to me, with Pete, ixl, mjc (where in the world is he?) to oversee the whole process. Would really cut down on their work load.
Just a couple of observations, Pave seems very versed in the operation of Linux and Unix he would be great for that area I think.
Classic is just "it" in my book for networking, in fact his set of instructions to me about setting up my network I really think should be a sticky. It's very detailed and in plain old english and what's most important it works like a charm!
Budfred is very good at the hijack this logs and all things in that department. He is who I would want looking over a hijack this log of mine. As well as being totally up on all the best parts and where to get them for great prices. I've often thought we should have a forum for things like that but I guess it would turn too commercial in the long run.
There are just too many others to go on listing, all are great in terms of time spent and ability and the willingness to help. These are just the few that kind of stand out for me.
Oh and if you want to fix an old IBM Bomb there is just no one else to call on but our one and only FTT!!! :D
Of course the ability to deal with people in a kind and civilized manner and still get the point across is a given.

I'm concerned about the spam too. I read that crazy post in the bit bucket with that nut talking to himself. What gets into these fools? Any way whatever ixl and you all decide I know it will be best for the site and us.
LG ;)

tweeky
11-10-2004, 10:45 PM
I think that Budfred, Malcore and Pave Spectre would make great moderators.

A mod for each part of the site really seems a good idea to me

I think it's a great idea too, it would certainly make it easier for them to moderate the section of the site their suppose to moderate if they don't have much time on their hands.

mjc (where in the world is he?)

I just remebered I accidently locked him in the pc guide basement, now where did i leave that key. :rolleyes:

ms-fixit
11-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Just some thoughts....I know this is a very old thread.....

I have been using computers for many many years now, long before the net was widely accessible to everyone. One thing I always hated was every time I changed ISP's, or moved and got a new ISP, I had to email everyone and their dog about the email address changes, and change the options and particulars on all my online memberships (in case of lost passwords and I needed an email reminder, etc). I hated when I was visiting away from home I couldn't get my email.

Now that I have SMS messaging and text email on my cell phone, folks can contact me easily through MSN or Yahoo Messenger etc. People with any email address can be a PITA - the best defense I have found it reporting them directly to Yahoo and MSN - making it harder for idiots to abuse the service. And making it harder for them to re-register with a new disposable email account. There are only so many good "free" email providers.

I do understand your frustration with jerks using disposable email addresses & creating hassles, BUT there are a lot of folks who do legitimately use these email providers, so maybe there is a compromise solution? Make all Yahoo etc memberships temporary and limit posts until they are proven ok? Include in your membership agreement that all spammers, idiots etc WILL be reported to their ISP? Ask for suggestions on how to combat the problem? Can you build a filter into the discussion boards software program to alert you to multiple repeat posts from the same user? Many heads are better than one so if you ask for suggestions, maybe someone can help you solve this issue...

But hey at least you let me register with a Yahoo email and thanks!

Hardcore nerd
01-30-2005, 11:19 PM
I am growing sick and tired of the spam. Today's incident with one guy registering two different accounts using yahoo addresses and posting a fake back and forth discussion to promote his web site is the last straw.

Unless someone can give me a very good reason not to, I am banning further registrations from yahoo.com and hotmail.com and possibly a few others if they become an issue. Every spammer we have had on the site in the last few months -- without exception -- has used either yahoo or hotmail.

Those who are currently registered using those email providers will not be affected. --c

Charles, i can see where u are coming from. However, if i only had a hotmail account, a teenager say, and i wanted to join the PCguide forums, i could not because of my limitations as a teenager. Judge the member on their posts, not their email address. Cool

PrntRhd
01-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Hardcore Nerd,
ixl changed the policy as a experiment but changed it back to allow people to get help when they need it.

Whyzman
01-31-2005, 02:19 AM
It appears that the concept of total anonymity is being taking as license.

I'm wondering if it would be advantageous to have registrants who desire to use a hotmail or yahoo email for forums use also disclose their ISP account. This would only be disclosed to ixl as administrator.

Perhaps when registering, there could be a help page to assist folks who do not realize that they actually have email accounts through their ISP.

Verification of an ISP email could be accomplished by sending passwords for forums access. If someone was desirous of using a hotmail or yahoo account for regular forums use they could request to do so when registering...however, everyone discloses their ISP...

Charles Kozierok
01-31-2005, 05:04 PM
For now at least, things seem to have stabilized. During that rash of nonsense a week ago I was seriously considering this again. We'll keep an eye on it I guess. Whyzman's idea has serious merit, but represents extra workload on someone to handle the back-and-forth.

We get lots of new registrations here, mostly from people who need help "NOW"... which is why I am hesitant to impose anything that requires fast turnaround.

c

Kernel sanders
02-15-2005, 10:22 PM
even though I am registered already (disposable email address and all....cool phrase) this is the only way I can sign up for things. I have yet to have an internet service in my name and do not have access to any other type of email. On behalf of broke college kids clinging to dying p3's while stealing their parents cable bandwith ...PLEASE do not kill the freeware. You can use those validation images with a word in jpeg format to keep bots out. As for the human violators you can aalways report them to the RIAA.

Paleo Pete
02-16-2005, 12:08 AM
Bots aren't the ones dropping in here to post nonsense and generally cause trouble in their first 2 or 3 posts. The RIAA has absolutely no jurisdiction over anything pertaining to this website, there's no P2P file sharing going on here and we have nothing to do with "killing freeware". That's up to the programmers who write it.

The problem is people who come here (commonly called "trolls") only to cause trouble, and the majority of those use what are considered "disposable" free web based email addresses such as Yahoo, hotmail etc that they think allow them to be completely anonymous so we can't do anything about their malicious behavior. (behaviour for you european folks)

What they don't realize is their IP address is still easily available, which points back to the actual ISP they use for an Internet connection, so they are not truly anonymous. We can and will still locate the actual ISP they are using and notify them in the case of real trouble, which fortunately has not happened yet - we've been able to handle it with warnings and a few bans.

Ixl's decision to not prohibit that type of email addresses after all was so people like yourself can still use the forums by way of web based email addresses, since many are in the position you describe and many others don't even realize they have and can use their ISP based email accounts. So you don't have to worry, for now at least, you can still maintain your forum membership with a web based email address. If it becomes a serious problem in the future Ixl may have no choice but to reconsider, but hopefully that won't happen.

ms-fixit
02-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Perhaps some nice BIG NOTICEABLE signs that all spammers etc WILL be reported to their ISP, and a message to the effect that ISPs don't tolerate abuse and neither do the forums here. Is it worth losing your ISP over a smartass post somewhere? Show how your IP address is ALWAYS traceable to your ISP. You could make a banner or something prominent to point this out on the register/signup pages? The more folks that lose their ISP over bad behaviour (canadian spelling <wink>) the more the word gets out that there ARE repercussions to bad behaviour, and it is NOT anonymous WHERE you do the bad behaviour from. Personally I report ALL spam email I get to abuse@whichever.isp.com (and yes some days I send a LOT of time sending those emails <sigh>). There have always been and there will always be idiots who mess things up for everyone. The question is simply WHICH response is the most effective in deterring the behaviour? IF 13 year old Johnny blows up his mother's ISP there are ramifications beyond what we can do here....and they might be the most effective ones <G>.

FastLearner
02-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Personally I report ALL spam email I get to abuse@whichever.isp.com (and yes some days I send a LOT of time sending those emails <sigh>).

How do you know that the isp you're reporting to is actually the isp of the sender? IP Address spoofing is so common these days, you probably have less than a 10% chance that the email you receive has the valid IP address of the real sender.

Charles Kozierok
02-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Perhaps some nice BIG NOTICEABLE signs that all spammers etc WILL be reported to their ISP, and a message to the effect that ISPs don't tolerate abuse and neither do the forums here.

They don't care. Most of these folks use diisposable accounts and anonymous proxies. They hit the forum with spam and never return.

Fortunately things have quieted down some of late.

c

phkhgh
04-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Surely there are plenty of legitimate users w/ Yahoo or Hotmail accts? Don't know what the best solution is, but that seems like a broad brush stroke.

classicsoftware
04-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Dear exalted computer crasher.

Get some lens cleaner out and wipe off those glasses or get to the eye doctor for a checkup.:eek:

This post is from 02-18-2005, 10:37 AM

That would make it, oh, 2 years, 2 months, 7 days and 5 hours before you posted. It's pretty obvious we never implemented this idea.:D

Cam
05-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Dear exalted computer crasher.

Get some lens cleaner out and wipe off those glasses or get to the eye doctor for a checkup.:eek:

This post is from 02-18-2005, 10:37 AM

That would make it, oh, 2 years, 2 months, 7 days and 5 hours before you posted. It's pretty obvious we never implemented this idea.:D
Wow, what an old thread, lol! I guess I don't have to worry about my account then?

PrntRhd
05-08-2007, 10:27 AM
No, the idea was for New accounts & not existing ones, and the idea was dropped.

neo_teo
05-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Yes old news, but thank god that was droped. Gmail is good for min Opera Mini on my cellphone. Means I can check mail on the move :)

Relztrah
05-05-2009, 10:54 AM
All in favor say aye. "Aye".

flaco
07-19-2009, 08:52 PM
sorry for the double post.

flaco
07-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Sorry to ask but I registered with the @live.com is these gonna be a problem for me?

Budfred
07-19-2009, 09:01 PM
If you read a few posts up and a couple of others in the thread, the idea was dropped... We don't limit any email addresses at this point... We have selectively banned some IPs, but you wouldn't have been able to register if you had one of them...

I am going to close this thread so that people don't feel compelled to worry about it...