PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet

WiReD
10-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi!! Ummm i need some help. I dont no everything i need for wireless internet. Do i need a router? a card? I DONT NO!!!! Plz help me I Have a desktop and i just want to use it for THIS COMPUTER!!! Thx!!

Syndrome
10-28-2004, 12:08 AM
ok i just need a couple answers..

to get wireless internet, you first need a wireless internet service provider (ISP). Do you already have one of those? Or are you just looking to set up a wireless network in your house to "share" your internet?

as for the router... you will only need it, if you are going to split the internet between more than one pc. If you need internet on just one PC, all you need is a network card, the rest will be supplied by the ISP.

WiReD
10-28-2004, 05:40 PM
To Syndrom
No i dont have a wireless internet connection thats why i posted this on here im clueless?! lol

Im not looking to share internet with more than one computer just the one im on now
Could you offer me a good ISP?
Is wireless internet worth the cost?

classicsoftware
10-28-2004, 05:58 PM
There is not a single ISP that I know of that has a wireless option. They provide a hard wired connection via cable or DSL. You can use a wireless router to connect a PC with a wireless card to the cable or DSL modem or other wireless PC's.

You need:

1) A wireless router/switch/hub

2) A wireless thernet card for each PC you want to allow on your network.

So for example, let's say you have DSL and want to use a wireless connection with your laptop so you can go on line anywhere in the house. The ISP will provide a DSL modem. You will need a wireless router and a wireless card for your laptop to connect to the DSL modem.

Do you need more information?

Mark Miller
10-28-2004, 08:33 PM
As Classic says there is no isp that offers just a wireless solution
My question is how are you going to move a desktop around to be used wirelessly?
mark

WiReD
10-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Lol good question!!! Ok so all i need is a dsl modem, isp, and a computer. The ISP provides the rest right? Im very clueless :D

classicsoftware
10-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Who is your DSL provider?

WiReD
11-01-2004, 05:25 PM
dont have one im looking for one in my area :D "look at my huge badonkeydok"