PDA

View Full Version : Multiplaying FPS games

Kumaiti
11-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Hi all

I am having some problems with first person shooters in multiplayer mode, mainly SW: Battlefront (great game) and quake 3

I can create the game and so on, and the other players can join. However, when both players join (this happens more often in Battlefront, but happened sometimes in Quake 3) one of them is always kicked off the game. After that, if the kicked player joins, the current player is kicked off. The bottom line is: the computer is accepting only one connection at a time.

With other games (Starcraft and Warcraft III) that doesn't happen and three can play without a problem.

The game is running in a PIV 3.0HT, 512 MB, radeon9700 256. We are playing in LAN using a switcher and each computer has its own IP manually entered IP address.

Any suggestion ??
thanks

saphalline
11-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Sounds like the multiplayer mode in those games isn't set correctly. There are several reasons, and these should be addressed in the games' documentation, either online or the readme's.

It could be that there's a client number limit in the server ini file, either related to the number of connections, number of other players, or a similar field.

It could be that no limit is imposed on client bandwidth, in which case since you're using an excellent LAN connection, one client eats up all the bandwidth. Since none is left over for others, and since most multiplayer games put a default precedence on new connections, the new player gets on while the other player is kicked off.

It could be the way those games handle TCP/IP configurations. You may not have this problem with a direct crossover between two computers, or even through a router, but perhaps the switch is causing topology problems.

It could be any of these things or more, but since other games play nicely, I would check the server ini settings for those two games. It's probably a bandwidth problem or other similar server-client relationship involving one player doubling as the server. If possible, see if you can get one system to be a dedicated server and using the other two as players. Does that work?

pcwiz
11-02-2004, 08:49 PM
I had the same problem with the open-source FPS, Cube (http://www.cubeengine.com). Running the server on a different machine solved the problem for me.

Kumaiti
11-03-2004, 03:35 AM
Before posting I checked the game`s documentation (Battlefront only, not quake3) and it is extremely poor written. According to the documentation, a LAN game should be able to handle up to 50 players (!!).

I will try a HUB instead (I don't have a router available to try this) and try to figure out the TCP/IP settings. Thanks for the hints.

CoR
11-23-2004, 05:56 AM
What point release are you running for q3?
Are you and your other q3 games using the same cd key?
Try the following commands in the q3's consule.
1. Use this command in Consule... /g_maxGameClients 0

If this doesn't work try my little homemade cfg.
Copy the below text into note pad go to save as, rename it to serv.cfg.cfg go to file types select all files and save it to your q3 baseq3 folder (or w/e mod you use.). to run it start up q3 type "/exec serv.cfg" i recommed you backing up your current cfg by typing "/writeconfig backup" in consule. You will then have a cfg file named backup located somewere in your q3 program folder depending what mod you are running.
(since my post is so late i don't know if the topic starter will see this but if anyone needs help with q3 let me know.)

//copy
//server config by CoR :)
seta g_allowVote "1"
seta g_filterBan "1"
seta g_banIPs ""
seta g_logSync "0"
seta g_warmup "20"
seta g_teamForceBalance "0"
seta g_teamAutoJoin "0"
seta g_friendlyFire "0"
seta capturelimit "8"

//sets the max players allowed in the game
seta g_maxGameClients "0"

seta cm_playerCurveClip "1"
seta g_doWarmup "1"
seta net_socksPassword ""
seta net_socksUsername ""
seta net_socksPort "1080"
seta net_socksServer ""
seta net_socksEnabled "0"
seta sv_floodProtect "1"
seta sv_maxPing "0"
seta sv_minPing "0"

//you can change the rate in wich players must use you
//should probably try 3000 just for start and tell the others
//on the lan to do the same using the command
//rate in consule
seta sv_maxRate "0"

//change how many clients you want to connect to server.
seta sv_maxclients "8"

//you can change no name to your servers name.
seta sv_hostname "noname"

//Stop copy