PDA

View Full Version : Could Wireless Prt Server affect quality?

macellarius
11-06-2004, 06:27 PM
I need to go wireless to network my desktop to my new laster printer. Going with 801.11b 4 port wireless router which will connect to the printer, and a wireless PCI card in the desktop. The printer & desktop will be the only two devices.

This may be a stupid question, but is there any chance that packet loss could affect my print quality?? Or does the standard include some type of error checking that will make sure all packets are delivered to the server before it tries to print??

We'll be printing Adobe .pdf graphic files. About 2 megs/page on average.

Like this one: http://www.ehomeparade.com/showcaseflyers/jackieyostflyerback.pdf

Thanks!

classicsoftware
11-06-2004, 08:48 PM
I need to go wireless to network my desktop to my new laster printer.

WHY?

What's the attraction with wireless for 1 desktop and one laser printer. How far apart are they?

PrntRhd
11-06-2004, 09:33 PM
It will not affect quality, the drivers and the printer engine remains the same, it will run the jobs much slower however vs wired. It will also be suceptable to interference from 2.4GHz phones, microwaves, and the like.

macellarius
11-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Well, the laser printer will be in our master bedroom and the deskop is in the family room.

The wire would have to cross in front of the stairway and we have a young children, so there's a bit of a safety hazard. I'm already doing this with a phone cord when I need send a fax because the phone jack is in the mstr bedrom too...so no point in adding more sources of agravation.

If you're married, you'll probably understand. ;)

macellarius
11-07-2004, 09:11 AM
It will not affect quality, the drivers and the printer engine remains the same, it will run the jobs much slower however vs wired. It will also be suceptable to interference from 2.4GHz phones, microwaves, and the like.

The slowness will only affect the first page of the job though, correct? Once the job fully reaches the printer it will be cached there and print quickly (256megs)

PrntRhd
11-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Depends on the printer, but yes there will be a longer lag time from when the job is sent until it starts printing.