PDA

View Full Version : Dvd Inoperative

11-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Curious but the wifes Dell has a dvd player that is no longer operative for video. Plays audio cds fine. I had installed SP2 on the machine without any problem but started noticing on some forums about cd and dvd's not operating after sp2 was loaded. I thought I would check and found both audio and dvd not working. I un installed sp2 and the audio works ok but no video playback. The message is this: Interactual player 2.0, playback failed due to a problem in the video subsystem. Lowering your screen resolution or color depth may fix the problem. As I think about this when I uninstalled sp2 I got a box that stated that if uninstalled you may have problems with interactual player. How would be the best way to approach solving this problem?

saphalline
11-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Well, first of all, SP2 updates a whole slew of security problems, so if you can try and keep it on, that would be best. But, to solve your current problem, start by reinstalling the Interactual DVD player software.

11-10-2004, 12:41 AM
First, I'm not really sure that sp2 is responsible for the action but you never know. Second, was completely unaware that InterActual player was even around until I put in the dvd to test. Then it came on like gangbusters and even put a desktop icon on the screen. The computer has Power DVD which I assumed took care of everything video but I see I am wrong apparently. Will try to update this thing and see what happens.

Whyzman
11-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Here's an interesting bit of reading:

http://player.interactual.com/help/support/contactus/default.asp

I was under the impression the InterActual was a player, however,
The free InterActual software included on DVD's does not include a DVD decoder. It simply finds and uses the decoder already on your system.
You may need to uninstall and reinstall your DVD decoder software...

This is from the DVD troubleshooting portion of the original link up top and it contains some very interesting help:

http://player.interactual.com/help/support/articles/0137.asp

11-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the links. I went ahead and downloaded the newest interactual
player update last nite. It made no difference, still got an error message about the video subsystem. It also tells me that the video decoders belong to power dvd. I had uninstalled and reinstall power dvd but I still get an error message when I start that program that power dvd has encountered an error and must shut down. Do you want to notify MS? I get the same message when I crank up Windows media player and go to dvd, A error has been encountered and must shut down. Do you want to send a message to MS?
As I piece all this together I think maybe its time to uninstall power dvd and go to their website for an upgrade and try that. I also have uninstalled the dvd player from device manager and let XP reinstall also with no change. Is their a particular sequence for installing video related software?

saphalline
11-11-2004, 03:10 AM
Oh boy. I think something a little more serious happened here. Try this - uninstall InterActual (if you haven't already), then uninstall Power DVD, then download and install the latest video card drivers (or just uninstall/reinstall the one you have), then re-try WMP.

11-12-2004, 05:16 PM
Took your suggestion and removed Interactual player, Power dvd and removed the Nvidia display drivers. Let XP re install my video drivers and adjust the screen, then threw in the dvd, Interactual asked to be installed,
did that followed by Power dvd. DVD now playing. I updated those silly nvidia drivers twice and never played with the dvd but remembered it worked prior to those nvidia updates. Video is good enough now and will stay that way.
I never really thought it was sp2 and now we know. Will re install sp2 and
then double check the operation. Thanks for your help.

11-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Well I'm back with an update on this non playing dvd and sp2. I WAS WRONG.
It is sp2 causing the problem. I just reloaded sp2 on cd and after it finnished I checked the dvd and same ole error message and no play. Removed sp2 again and then reloaded video drivers and its works. My question is what work around would you advise to make both of these work? Like I said I only removed the video driver and let xp reinstalled and back to square one.

Whyzman
11-26-2004, 02:12 PM
My hunch is that one of the software drivers, or more, needs to be updated due to an incompatability with SP2...

PowerDVD or NVidia are probably keenly aware of any problems with the SP2 updates...I would begin there, checking their websites for known problems...