My Problem:
It does not run quite many games; even some older ones
For example, it doesn't run:

Age of Mythology,
Need For Speed 5 Porche,
Battlefield 1942 (oldest version)
Call of Duty
Beyond Good and Evil
Far Cry (although it auto detects game settings to be "Medium" for my machine; but this game hangs while loading)

Nevertheless, it does run the following games smoothly:
Tomb Raider AOD
Max Payne 2:Fall of Max Payne

Can anyone plz tell where does the problem lie ?
and what are the most economical solutions?

thx a lot in advance.

saphalline
11-19-2004, 02:01 AM
Start by downloading the latest drivers for your system. Given that everything is onboard, a one-stop download from VIA is in order. That should update your chipset, video, and audio drivers all at once. It may even update your LAN drivers.

If that doesn't work, try updating the BIOS from MSI's site. Also make sure that your specific onboard video isn't listed as "unsupported" in those games' readme files.

All those possible solutions are free, so if they don't work, come back for more help.

akif
11-19-2004, 08:31 AM
thx Saphalline,
i've tried the first solution: Upading all the drivers
Will try the second solution : Updating the BIOS

Actually i have this system back in ma hostel. So rightnow, i m just gathering the possible solutions (coz i don't have net access there).

Only the Age of Mythology triggered an error stating that the onboard video is not supported; and Call of Duty also said somewhat similar ("your video card lacks some features needed to run this game"). Rest of the games just freez during loading.

However i ll also try some more games. I m here in ma home and stay connected to net till coming Sunday, but won't be able to post back after that till next Sunday....

anyway....thx a lot once again.

Jason1971
11-23-2004, 02:02 AM
You don't have SP2 installed for XP Pro do you? Also what is your onborad video card?

saphalline
11-23-2004, 10:59 PM
You know, I wonder if the onboard vid chip is overheating? Or if the games need patches? If you have access to a spare vid card (or even borrow a friend's), try that. I suspect it's a video adapter problem of some sort, or as Jason1971 suggested, a Windows update problem. One more thing - do you have DX 9.0c installed on that machine?

akif
11-28-2004, 02:57 AM
i guess i have the SP2 installed.
i have DX9.0b installed, not 9c; but still these games doesn't require 9c.
I also guess that there is some prob with the onboard video chip, but here all around me no one uses separate video cards. All use onboard chips.
and Jason, i have Via S3 (synchrome) onboard graphics. (actually i m just writing it using my memory, not sure i wrote it correctly)

Anyway, thx a lot guys.
i still haven't used that BIOS upgrade option.

Jason1971
11-28-2004, 04:36 AM
Okay akif the problem might be a conflict with (SP2). Please read the article (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/16/news_6104980.html). It seems that SP2 might conflict with some games. I do not think that list, in the article, is complete. I know the list posted at Microsoft is not complete.

BUT

I am not 100% sure that's the problem. I've never been a big fan of onboard video or sound. Sounds like you should have a system that should handle just about anything.

Good luck and I'll check back....

Jason