PDA

View Full Version : windows 2003 networking

dinakar
12-13-2004, 11:47 PM
sir , recently i have installed windows 2003 server & i have tryed to configure one ip is local 192 range
& another is public ip , i have given two different default gateways for 2 different NIC cards ,then it is giving the following message
---------------------------
Microsoft TCP/IP
Warning - Multiple default gateways are intended to provide redundancy to a single network (such as an intranet or the Internet). They will not function properly when the gateways are on two separate, disjoint networks (such as one on your intranet and one on the Internet). Do you want to save this configuration?
Yes No

Note that we have many Server 2000 systems configured as above and the warning is not displayed.

and one more thing i have observed is i am not getting the internet for this system regularly , some times its not able to get the internet connection even if the policy is created , automatically after some time i am getting the internet , how to resolve this problem plz respond as early as possible
Thank you!

FastLearner
12-14-2004, 04:15 AM
The default gateway is the "way out" of your LAN and entrance to another network (like the Internet). It is the device that every NIC on your network will look for when it has traffic for the outside. Having multiple gateways is not uncommon in a network, however. Many people use them for security purposes to purposely change protocols (from TCP/IP [from the Internet] to an internal network consisting of only IPX/SPX for example. Are you trying to perform such a task?...need more info on your goals and setup.

dinakar
12-15-2004, 01:17 AM
sir , i want to host my webserver on that system & mail server also , for local traffic i use one NIC & global traffic i use another NIC

FastLearner
12-15-2004, 05:43 AM
what happens when you select "yes" to save the configuration? If you have successfully used the identical setup with Win 2K Server, then it should be no problem doing the same with Win 2003 Server. It is possible that the warning message you are getting is just an addition to the 2003 server software.