PDA

View Full Version : Replace KT133MB, processor & memory or just replace nForce2MB?

videobruce
01-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Should I replace an existing nForce2 MB a nForce2 ultra 400 MB and reuse the processor & memory or replace a older KT133 MB along with the processor & memory (big difference in cost)?
The nForce MB has a issue with the clock (gains 6 seconds a day, sometimes more) and hibernation (doesn't work through the serial port), both features I need for a program to work corectly. No, I don't want to run a 'time' program in the background all the time to 'band aid' the problem.
The KT133 MB would usually be used for web surfing, jpeg viewing/editing, maybe some games, but NOT anything intensive and some CD burning.
The nForce2MB is for a HTPC with a HD tuner card and a DVD burner.

Thanks..........

saphalline
01-06-2005, 03:30 PM
The KT133 system is probably running just fine for what it does, right? So I would replace that NF2 mobo with the faulty RTC. Hopefully getting a whole new mobo will fix that problem, but what's this about hibernating through the serial port? The NF2 Ultra 400 made some nice upgrades and fixes to the standard NF2 chipset, but I don't use hibernating so I can't comment on that.

In the end, it's better to keep your high-end system high-end, and just upgrade your other systems occasionally. I mean really, how much power do you need to surf the web? Just about any old PC will do.

videobruce
01-07-2005, 08:52 AM
n the end, it's better to keep your high-end system high-end, and just upgrade your other systems occasionally. I mean really, how much power do you need to surf the web? Just about any old PC will do.I did think about that, it was just the idea of replaceing a newer MB vs a older one.