PDA

View Full Version : languages

robbiew1967
02-08-2005, 02:55 PM
could anyone please tell me what the main differences between procedural and declarative languages are please

many thanks :)

Paul Komski
02-08-2005, 05:56 PM
I find it hard to be dogmatic about the differences since I believe there is overlap in any case. As a generalisation declarative languages are only "interested" in what is done and not in how it is done.

Perphaps the easiest way get a grip on the differece is to consider how one might extract and manipulate data in a database. If one used C or VB to do this one would write many lines of code describing "how" those manipulations were to be done - step by linked step (in, if you like, procedures).

If one uses SQL to retrieve the manipulated data then one just writes one statement and the Database Management System just gets on with the job - having been presented with a declaration.

As I said I think the margins are blurred - especially if you consider that you can use SQL declarations inside VBA code for accessing databases.

http://www.databasejournal.com/books/article.php/1408491

robbiew1967
02-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Many thanks for that paul you have made it clear enough for me to continue with what i was doing

:) :)