PDA

View Full Version : Clumsiness in connecting Linksys wrt54g

yolagp
02-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Please forgive my total ignorance in wireless matters. I'm new to this.
I have a desktop pc wired to a ADSL 3com Office Connect router. Working perfectly. And I have a laptop perfectly connected too.
Recently someone gave me a Linksys wrt54g wireless router. As my laptop also has a wireless card that works perfectly when I go to my friend's or relative's houses that have wireless, I would like to connect this new router so I can work around the house.
I'm analphabet in relation to wireless, so I arrived home with my new toy and plugged it to the 3com router, and my laptop found an "excelent" connection, but it doesn't work. How can I make this thing work?

classicsoftware
02-19-2005, 10:57 AM
You have to connect in the following order

-->Internet-->DSL modem-->Linksys Router-->PC's

With the PC's you can skip the office connect hub and just use the 4 ports on the back of the Linksys router or you can plusg the desktop and notebook into the hub and connect the hub to one of the ports on the router.

If that's not enough info, let me know and I will post detailed instructions.

yolagp
02-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Thank you, Classicsoftware. Finally, I connected both computers to the linksys, and the Linksys to a port in the 3com, but not with my fixed IP. When I try to enter my IP it won't connect. :confused:

Rick
02-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Your router will assign an IP to each computer unless you tell it not to.

in that case you must assign each system it's own IP in the local network

The same thing goes for the wi-fi unit

yolagp
02-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Thank you, Rick. Finally I could enter the lan's ip, and the router assigns each computer the ip for each session. That was the closest I could get, and it's ok. Right now I'm downstairs, the router is upstairs, and I have good signal. :)

classicsoftware
02-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Thank you, Rick. Finally I could enter the lan's ip, and the router assigns each computer the ip for each session. That was the closest I could get

That's the way it's supposed to work.......

yolagp
02-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Great! I used to manually assign each ip in the wired Lan. It's nice to learn something new every day. You're all great teachers!