PDA

View Full Version : Help with networking 2 wireless computers

palenske
02-27-2005, 02:27 PM
I have a desktop & a laptop both have wireless cards & have good connectivity with my Dell 2300 wireless router & can access the highspeed internet.

What I would like to do is enable my laptop to see my desktop through the wireless router in order to print on the printer that is USB'd directly to my desktop.

I'm running windows XP on both systems. I ran the network setup wizard on both machines & enabled sharing on both systems. That is about as far as I could get with the info I cobbled together on the internet.

Still I am unable to see the desktop from the laptop or vise-versa.

Can anyone guide me down the right path??

Thanks,

Palenske

classicsoftware
02-27-2005, 02:30 PM
What do you mean by yiu can't see each machine from the other.

What appears in my network places?

Did you share any folders?

palenske
02-27-2005, 02:34 PM
When I go to Network places it displays "Local Network", When I click on that on my desktop it shows "Shared Music, Pictures, Video" and that's it

On my laptop it shows the same thing for the Laptop.

Don't know if that makes since -- sorry & thanks for the help.

palenske
02-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Still I am unable to see the data on the other computer -- I know I'm doing somethin wrong -- just don't know what

palenske
02-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Simply stated each computer shows itself and nothing else in the My Network Places area

classicsoftware
02-27-2005, 03:00 PM
First you need to go into the settings on the router and change the name of the wireless connection from the default to something uinque.

Next in the control panel there is a wireless networking wizzard. You should run the wizzard and enable the security. Please write down the code because if you don't you won't be able to access the router. It may ask you to make a disk to run on the other PC, do it if it asks.

Once the wireless component is set-up you should be ok....

palenske
02-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Sounds like you're right on track -- unfortunately I very new to this stuff. I do not know how to change the name of the wireless connection to something else. The router itself has no usb access port. When I ran the wizard the 1st time it asked me to use a flshdrive and plug it into my other computer & the router. I couldn't figure out how to get in info in the router. Is there a way I can access it from one of my PCs?

Sorry for being so uninformed & thanks for the help.

Palenske

matt012
02-27-2005, 09:19 PM
You have everything working right to be able to see the shared files. You can put files in those folders from either computer and your other computer will have access to them. I can't remember right off how to add a printer, but in the wizard it should have asked you if you wanted to set a network printer up for the connection.

Bullman
02-28-2005, 12:34 AM
If you have any documentation that came with your router, there should be a number similar to this - http://192.168.1.1/ - (probably different for your router) that you can type into your internet browser (on the PC hardwired to your router) and it will get you into your router setup screen. From there you should be able to do as Classicsoftware has stated.

On the using the flashdrive (and you should be able to use a floppy if you dont have access to flashdrive) to get the information to your wireless pc, you would plug the flashdrive into your hardwired pc and then run the wizard and save the settings to the flashdrive. You shouldn't have to plug it directly into your router, and I have never seen any area (on the routers I have seen) where that is even possible. After you have the settings saved on the flashdrive, you would then plug it into the wireless computer for the settings to be entered.

Hopefully this will help you out some. If not, I hope it at least doesn't confuse you any more. :eek: I know when I was setting mine up for sharing, ALL information was welcomed. :)

classicsoftware
02-28-2005, 01:33 AM
You have everything working right to be able to see the shared files. You can put files in those folders from either computer and your other computer will have access to them. I can't remember right off how to add a printer, but in the wizard it should have asked you if you wanted to set a network printer up for the connection.

MATT012: Please read the post carefully before responding. He can only see the shares on each local PC he cannot see the other PC at all. The problem is he must run the wireless networking wizzard on BOTH pc's. Until that is done, he will never be able to share files.

palenske: You must run the wireless network wizzard on both PC's. Do it one PC first and write down all of the settings as you go along. Then repeat the process on the second PC filling in all of the information from the first PC.
Pay attention to:

The computer name: Less than 8 characters Different for each PC.

The Workgroup name: The same for all PC's

The Networking security key: The same for both PC's

jimmy5k
02-28-2005, 01:41 AM
i dont trust xp's my network places. if i want to see whats on another machine i go to it direct
\\<insert target computer's ip>\

that gets me where i need to go providing they can ping each other. magically, it allworks