PDA

View Full Version : ip address changing

Lapinrabbit
03-07-2005, 11:35 PM
I have a link sys wireless system. When it owrks it is awsome. When it doesn't it really doesn't. It will go along fine and then both machines ip adresses change and I am out in the cold. the setup is winXp home desk, win98SE laptop. Desk can ping the latop not the other way. ZA inf was changed to the new ip's and it won't work even with ZA off. This has happened twice in the last month. Last time I thought I fixed it ( I do not know how it just started to work). Any ideas?

jimmy5k
03-08-2005, 01:00 AM
have you thought of giving the computers static IP addresses instead of dynamically assigned by the router?

Lapinrabbit
03-08-2005, 01:10 AM
I didn't know I could do that. Eerything I have ever read said to make sure obtain isp aiutomaticly. Thsi would help the situation,once i can get the network back. At this time I can only ping from the desk to the laptop and from the laptop to the router. As noted in my previous posting it is the same problem even if ZA is off.
Thanks for the idea. Anyone else? I would like to know why this happens and how to actually fix it with so,me knowlege, instead of dunb lunck.

jimmy5k
03-08-2005, 08:38 PM
okay, lets go about setting up your network, shall we?
when it comes to IP networks, only the device/computer/router sharing the connection needs the ip address 192.168.0.1 (well, thats generically anyway)

as it is, how do you connect to the internet? is it cable from internet to the wireless linksys (please tell me a model so i know what it is) to all machines, or is it a specific machine sharing it.
A)
internet > wireless linksys > wirelessly distributed

B)
internet >computer> wireless linksys >other computers

C)
internet>ADSL Modem > Wireless Linksys >wirelessly distributed

D)
internet> ADSL Modem > Computer >Wireless Linksys.

E)
using wireless linksys purely as a wireless hub

there are several things to take into account. internet sharing can sometimes mess with settings. if its a router, you have to make sure it isnt conflicting with anything.

If i know how you have the network setup, and the device, we can work from there.
see whats going on exactly.

Lapinrabbit
03-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the reply
My system is an dsl (telus) The modem for it is dlink. then the cable goes to a linksys wireless broadband router(model WRK54G), the to the destop system (XP) via cable.
The lap top is a wireless pc? card, also linksys g.
Thanks again for any info. I tried getting a static ip address for the systems and got into a worse mess. Now everything can get on the net. The desktop will ping the laptop, and the laptop will ping the router, but not the desktop.

jimmy5k
03-09-2005, 05:48 PM
wrk54g and linksys g... no problem there
Wireless connect to router.(laptop)
Dlink Modem > Linksys Router > /-Wired connect to pc via lan.(desktop)
from ethx to wan port

okay, i think i got it. i'll need time to work out the problem, i'm not in the office till tomorrow... this may be a wierd question, but what IP addresses are assigned to the router, desktop and laptop? it may be a problem with DHCP... but i'd doubt it

Lapinrabbit
03-10-2005, 03:33 AM
ASt this point unless they change again the desktop is 192.168.1.100, laptop is 192.268.1.102 and the router is 192.168.1.1. As I said I did have all this runnign and then the isp changed on there own.

deddard
03-10-2005, 07:40 AM
You need to look at things separately here. There are two sides to this network - the WAN (Wide area Network) which is the Internet - you don't have any control over the addresses here. The other side is the LAN - this is where your 192.168.x.x addresses lie.
On the router, you will have two settings - WAN and LAN.
The WAN addressing is up to your ISP - if it is dynamic, leave it that way.
The other setting is for your LAN - this can be configured to your heart's content.
To ensure that you are getting everything right, the easiest way is to set the LAN side of things to static addressing. The usual way is to simply disable the DHCP server setting on the router, and assign a static address - 192.168.1.1 is the norm. Make sure you do this by connecting via an ethernet cable - there's no point throwing in wireless problems at this stage.
You'll need to make sure that your pc is set to static addressing as well, 192.168.1.10 will do fine. You should also make sure that the default gateway on the PC is set to 192.168.1.1, and you may also need to set the DNS server setting on the PC to 192.168.1.1.
Note that this process usually involves connecting/disconnecting and then reconnecting to the router, as the addresses change.
a walkthrough (assuming that you can access the setup for your Router and you are currently using dhcp addresses):
Change the LAN address to static on the router, and assign the address 192.168.1.1.
Apply the change.
Your pc may now say that you are disconnected - no problems
Enter the settings for the network connection on your pc.
Set the PCs IP address to static, using 192.168.1.10. Set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1
Apply the changes and click ok.
your pc should now be reconnected to the router
see if you can access the internet - if so, this bit is ok.
Set the IP address of the wireless pc to 192.168.1.20, with the default gateway as 192.168.1.1, apply and click ok
Using the pc which is wired to the router, enter the router/wireless setup
make sure that encryption is turned off and that broadcasting your SSID is enabled
On the wireless PC, check to see if you can access the internet - if so, this part is now ok.
Back to the wired PC.
Set the encryption on the wireless access point of the router - WPA is preferable, using the highest possible settings. Assign a key (give it a password in other words) and apply the settings
On the Wireless PC, try to connect to the wireless access point - you should receive a message saying you need a key.
Enter the key into the wireless pc, and have it set to automatically connect you.
See if you can access the internet - if so, everything is ok.
Finally (for the wireless) go back into the router/wireless access point and turn off the "broadcast SSID", and also disable the ability to configure the system from a wireless link (this prevents you or anyone else connecting and altering things without being physically connected to the router/WAP) and apply the settings. You can also apply MAC address filtering - simply get the MAC address of the wireless card on your PC and enter it into the settings of the WAP/Router. I haven't used a combined unit, so make sure that this MAC filter only applies to wireless connections - check the manual. If it applies to all connections, then you will need to enter the MAC address of your Wired PC's NIC as well.
On the Router, make sure that you select 'do not respond to ICMP ping' (or whatever the setting is) on the WAN side - this will prevent anyone on the net pinging you to see if there is a live system there.

Lapinrabbit
03-10-2005, 10:01 PM
WOW thanks for all the info. It will take awhile to digest it. Could you add one more point? Configuring to access my desktop from the laptop. I did get this working before ( twice) but it won't go now. Mind you I haven't set everything up as you laid out. I'll let you know how it goes. And thank you for the secruity reminders, I didn't clue it to thoses weaknesses.
Thanks again!

Lapinrabbit
03-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Well I tried, and got really lost. I ended up resetting my router. I understand that I am to set the staic ip in the router and the PC. I do this via the router page and the PC I do via the tcp/ip setting in the network area? I did this and everything when kaput. I'll try again but ???????? :(

:eek: : Whew that didn't work. I must be messing something up. I have to reset the router to get back online. An ideas? when I set the ip to static and assigned the router to the default, my internet continuesd to work. It ois when I set the pc's ip in the router window and thenthe tcp/ip window things go weird. I am unable to conncet to the net even before I try to configure the netowrk tcp/ip. I have a screen shot if it would help, although I don't know how to post it.
Thanks for you help!

jimmy5k
03-11-2005, 02:00 AM
1st things 1st. the major thing with the router. disable dhcp. this function assigns all the computers an IP address if they are set to "automatically pick up an address".

this address can change as frequently as you like. we dont need it as you are going to manually assign an IP address. i personally dont see a point in changing the ip range from 192.168.0.* to 192.168.1.*, it just makes for confusion.

now, your modem and router are working fine, yes? now, heres the important part.
standard IP addressing is in the form of
IP:192.168.0.*
S: 255.255.255.0

this means all ip addresses along the range of 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 are pingable. as with ip addresses, all of them must be unique for the network. two machines having an ip of 192.168.0.3 will cause an error, and only one machine will connect. wether you use 192.168.0.* or 192.168.1.* is up to you, but all ip addressses must conform to the same standard.

the router can be your .1, desk .2 and laptop .3
please note when setting up the router... if you change the router's ip address, you must change your own to be able to access it 192.168.1.2 can not reach 192.168.0.1 but 192.168.0.2 can.

now, after your router, desktop and laptop are set to their addresses, have them ping the router. if they dont... post a message saying it didn't work.

if that works get them to ping each other. if they cant, post a message saying it didnt work.

test internet access. if they cant, or one cant, post a message saying it didnt work.

if all this works, then go about locking down the wireless system. you need it working first.

i hope this helps

Lapinrabbit
03-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the info
I changed all the addresses to 192.168.1.1, 2, 3 respectively

I was able to ping all machines, however the internet would not work.

Thats a start. I changed everything back in order to get back online.\ and post this.

Am I correct in changing the ip address in the network setting in windows, not throught the router. I mean do I have to tell the router who is using what.Thanks again.

jimmy5k
03-11-2005, 06:02 PM
this may sound silly, but can you ping unresolved server addresses? it might just be an issue with DNS.
if you can ping 236.239.37.99 [google's ip] then thats all it is. give the computers a dns. your ISP should be able to give you one if you call tech support.

your internet. ... that is adsl right? so the phone line plugs into your modem, then via cat5 to your router... correct? and you have the cat5 plugged into the wan port of your router... correct?

what is the lan IP of the modem and the wan ip of the router?

this may be an issue.

when it comes to routers... they effectively have two forms of connection in them. they have a hub style connection, complete with its own IP address and interface ... everyone can set that up, then they have a wan port. this is designed to accommodate for the internet connection.

this is one of those sketchy things. how is your router set up to catch the modem's connection? typically there are three modes.
PPPoE (your modem already handles this part)
Static (your router needs only a static IP and the IP address to connect to
Dynamic(your router searches for any and all connections available along the ip range to try find a connection)

i want to know what the ip address of your modem is, and the ip address of your router's wan port. if i am correct in assuming, you may want to set the wan ip as 192.168.0.2, and verify that your modem's ip address is 192.168.0.1

but yeah. let me know how you go on the pinging of google. if that doesnt work, let us know. but try pinging first, then working on the router's wan port.

let me know if this helps.

(sorry if it sounds like a lot of work for very little progress... networking is very complicated)

fingers crossed :D

Lapinrabbit
03-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Huh? I'll print this off and get back to you. Like I said, I did have all this working once. The reason to try and get the static is because of the changing ip addressess. And yes it is adsl modem. I haven't go a clue as to what the modem IP addrss is. :eek: I'll let you know.
I tried to ping google at 236.239.37.99 and the request timed out. Does that tell you something? I thought if things couldn't ping they can connect, so how can the internet still work? I'll still try to find out the modem ip
OK I tried something, I am not sure if it means anything. I disconnected my roulter so only me ADSL was online and the ip came back as 207.6.158.80

The router only plugged in was 192.168.1.100
Does this shed any light on the situation? Also I do have ZA firewall running, if this makes any difference. While I was tring to get things to work I shut ZA off.

Lapinrabbit
03-15-2005, 11:39 PM
Does any one have any other ideas? jimmy5k the google ping did not work. I can still go online wirelessly, but i can not ping my desktop from the laptop. I'll keep my eye on this board.

FastLearner
03-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the info
I changed all the addresses to 192.168.1.1, 2, 3 respectively

I was able to ping all machines, however the internet would not work.

Thats a start. I changed everything back in order to get back online.\ and post this.

Am I correct in changing the ip address in the network setting in windows, not throught the router. I mean do I have to tell the router who is using what.Thanks again.

It seems like this issue is taking a while to get corrected, so I would suggest the following:

1) Ditch the idea of wireless for now. It is only adding another layer of complication to your network. Use a Cat 5 Ethernet cable, assuming you have an Ethernet card installed.

2) Start with one computer (I suggest the desktop running Win XP, but it technically doesn't matter which one). You can keep the ip addressing scheme that you are using. Once you have one computer (with an Ethernet card and a Cat 5 cable to the router) working, then adding the second will be a cinch. See if you can connect to the Internet with the one computer before adding the second machine.

If not, go into your router's configuration setup menu (by typing in 192.168.1.1 in your web browser's URL box) and look around at your WAN settings. You should have NAT enabled. Maybe report back with any WAN settings you aren't familiar with, and most likely someone will be able to steer you in the right direction.

This is just my approach - I always like to get the WAN side of the equation working before worrying about the LAN side. Once it is, then you can proceed by going wireless and adding your second (and third and fourth) computer.

Lapinrabbit
03-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the info. I am able to connect to the internet with the desktop when I leave the ip setting on automatic. The Laptop is also able to connect. I do not understand what NAT setting mean or what it stands for. As for my WAN settings the only ip I see is that of the router. 192.168.1.1

Lookingf at the status page in the router setup I see DCHP setting with very different addresses.

Internet IP Address: 66.183.154.205
Subnet Mask: 255.255.224.0
Default Gateway: 66.183.128.254
DNS 1: 154.11.128.59
DNS 2: 154.11.128.187
DNS 3: 209.53.4.150

Any other ideas? I am at a complete loss.
As I noted before, I did have my system working. I was ablt to communicate between the laptop and the desktop. Now it won't come back.

jimmy5k
03-16-2005, 11:51 PM
so both the computer and the laptop can connect to the net?...

Laptop > router Pings successfully
Laptop > router > modem works (able to browse web on desktop)
desktop > router Pings successsfully
desktop > router > modem works (able to browse web on desktop)

desktop > router > laptop pings successfully

laptop > router > desktop Pings unsuccessfully

is that right? is this what the network does when assigned IP addresses?

Lapinrabbit
03-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Hi jimmy5k
This is how it works,when it is set to automatic. When I assign IP can ping from the destop only and there is no internet anywhere.

jimmy5k
03-18-2005, 05:02 AM
Hi jimmy5k
This is how it works,when it is set to automatic. When I assign IP can ping from the destop only and there is no internet anywhere.

okay, have you set a gateway? it's vital that a computer with a static ip setup has a gateway.

IP: 192.168.0.2 <just a generic ip address alongside the router>
Sub: 255.255.255.0 <standard subnet mask>
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 <standard GW addy>

well, maybe not vital but it helps.
and sometimes some routers dont forward on the dns. but thats getting blurry. just try one machine, with a static ip address, subnet mask, and the gateway.

Lapinrabbit
03-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Is the gateway the same thing as the default ip address?
I have destination lan IP, subnet mask, gateway, hop and interface.
These setting are all in advance routing.
Are these what I need to change when I set the LAN to static? I need to leave the isp on auto.(wan)

FastLearner
03-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi. Your router is your gateway to the WAN (the Internet). Therefore, when you configure your first machine, the default gateway address will be the IP address of your router. In your previously described network IP address setup, this would be 192.168.1.1. This should be your default gateway address on your computer's TCP/IP properties settings.

The 255.255.255.0 is your subnet mask, which is a class C subnet mask (for us little people--IBM and Microsoft have class A addresses, but that's not so important). The subnet mask basically tells how many digits of the IP address (123.456.789.0) are part of the domain and how many are assigned to each individual machine. Anyway, without getting too technical, just know that every machine in your LAN should share the same subnet mask at this point (255.255.255.0).

Lapinrabbit
03-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Well, thanks for all the info. Unfortunatly I still can not get my network back. Both systems will connect to the net via the router, and the destop can ping the laptop but not the other way. The laptop is able to pint the router alright.
So there it is. I went a bought a book, in hopes of more information. If any one has an idea on solving this problem, let me know. I have given up on static IPs as it make my system competely non functional.

FastLearner
03-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Hi Lapinrabbit.

Please forgive me if you've already mentioned this, but have you disabled the Windows firewall on your desktop and any software firewalls you have running? If not, do so and see if it makes a difference. If it does, then you would just need to put your laptop in the trusted zone of your firewall app.

And just to clarify, both computers can connect to the Internet (and to clarify even further, they can connect to the Internet at the same time, yes?)?

Lapinrabbit
03-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Hi Fastleaner.
Yes botrh machines can conncet to the internet at the same time or not. Winxp firewall is disabled and ZA is running. I did add the laptop to the trusted zone. On further examination, I discovered if I uninstalled ZA from the laptop I got network access, until I re-installed the software and then everything went back to the same. Desktop can ping laptop and router, laptop can [ing the router, not the desktop. The desktop ZA seems to have no effect.

jimmy5k
03-23-2005, 11:31 PM
okay, when setting up static IP addresses, you may want to set up a gateway.

heres what we do, if its xp, where you change the ip address, there should be another listing underneath called gateway. this is where you put your router's ip address. if you have the ip's automatically assigned, then it is probably assigned a gateway by the DHCP host (the router)

so, if your router's IP is 192.168.1.1, set the following
Desktop:
IP:192.168.1.2
Sb:255.255.255.0
GW:192.168.1.1

Laptop:
IP: 192.168.1.3
Sb:255.255.255.0
GW:192.168.1.1

Lapinrabbit
03-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Hi Jimmy5k
When ever I setup a static ip, everything stops. I am unable to communicate wtiht the router nor and I able to go online. It appears that everything works if ZA is not installed in the laptop, which worries me. At this time eveything is set to automatic, and I can ping as I need. and connect both systems to the internet and to each other.
I did correc tth gateway setting with no success, before I discovered the ZA issue.

jimmy5k
03-24-2005, 12:03 AM
you mean you can no longer ping anything?
eg:desktop pings router?

if static IPs are set, then you should definately be able to ping them
...does your router have an in-built firewall option?

Lapinrabbit
03-24-2005, 01:36 AM
That is completly true. If the ip is static nothing will work. I have a link sys system, router. How would I find out if it also has a firewall? When I did a security scan of my system with ZA I come back clean, no scans.

jimmy5k
03-28-2005, 10:19 PM
firewalls dont allow pinging to happen. for the following, please unplug the modem from the router... now turn off all ZA and windows firewalls and set static IPs. can anything ping the router?

when you choose to reconnect, enable all protection. although firewalled you can access file sharing through the computer's network ID.

gaming can happen through TCP/IP still.

Why exactly do you want to be able to ping? if you dont mind me asking

dus10
12-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Hey, Lapin', where do you get bios updates for that old a-trend mobo you used to have. Trying to set up a home file server for media, and just general storage, but I'm having some issues with getting it to boot. Right now I'm getting a "bios rom checksum error", so after I get this figured out I want to know how to update the bios. It may be a bad board, as I bought it off a guy on e-bay for cheap (yes, I may have gotten ripped off). Just want to know where to get the bios as a-trend's websit no longer exist.