PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Speed Improvement!

Flick
03-17-2005, 06:13 PM
As many of you know, I have a dial-up connection. I have never really needed to pay the premium for a high speed connection since I rarely send or receive large files. During the last five years my dial-up connection normally allows me to connect at 28.8 Kbps. Once in a while I get lucky and get a 29.2 Kbps connection but that has been rather rare. I have also noticed that during rainy days, I can only get at 26.4 Kbps or less connection. Some days I have to connect and reconnect to my ISP several times to get a 28.8 Kbps connection.

Well, today I was surprised to see that I connected at 50.6 Kbps! I'm guessing that my local phone company has replaced some lines recently. Can you think of any other reasons why my connection speed would improve so dramatically?

ToneCollector
03-18-2005, 02:38 PM
It's got to be the new lines allowing a better upload and download stream. That's my guess anyway. Just be happy that it got better and not worse. :D

Flick
03-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Yes, I think you are right. The real test is going to be when we get the next heavy rain. In the past, the speed on my telephone line always got worse during rain so I am looking forward to the next downpour!

Paul Komski
03-19-2005, 03:22 PM
I never pay much attention to the reported speeds, which can refer to the connection speed or may just report the port speed. Occasionally I will get connected at 115 kbs, which is impossible on a 56K modem - if you see what I mean.

The real test of a connection is to time how long it takes to download a file of a specific size. Note that a flakey connection may have to resend the same data a number of times even though it is downloading it at a normal speed each time so that what appears as fast is not actually functionally that fast. Also, to take data compression out of the equation use any already compressed files (such as zip files) to benchmark this. Thus if a 1MByte zip file downloads in 5 minutes that's 8000 kbits per 300 seconds or 26.6 kbs - regardless of what the "reported" speed is.

Flick
03-20-2005, 02:23 AM
Hi Paul! Yes, you are no doubt correct about upload and download speeds. In my situation, the speed was inconsistent and generally very slow. I downloaded SP2 and it took me several long sessions over two days. Keep in mind that I go back to the time when a 300 baud modem was state of the art! Also, several years ago, I made an inquiry to my local telephone service provider and asked if my line to the central office (located about 6 miles away) could be upgraded so as to provide me with a higher baud rate. Their reply was, "The phone lines were designed for voice communication, not high speed data transmission."

Well, that seems to have changed now. Using an accurate measuring device, my speed on this connection is 52.0 Kbps. Believe me, it's a world of difference connecting at this speed compared to the 28.8 Kbps to which I was accustomed. I had even considered checking with the local phone company to find out exactly what they did to improve my service, but I thought better of this idea for fear that they might discover their mistake and return my service to "normal". :D