PDA

View Full Version : Can you "fool" a Linksys AP?

rcoleman
03-18-2005, 01:41 AM
I live in a remote area with no Broadband available....I am looking into a satelite connection but that will take awhile.

In the mean time I am running W2K advanced server as a proxy server. The w2K server dails up to the internet and I can share the 56K modem connection on the wired and wireless workstations....albeit it slow it all works.

I have a D-Link Wireless Media server that connects to my sound system and TV and allow me to stream music from my server, works great. The problem is the Media Server can't be configured to use a Proxy and does't support ICS. I need to upgrade the firmware and it is expecting to see a shared internet connnection from the Linksys Wireless Access Point.

I am not using the broadband connection on the Linksys. it is just part off the Lan and acts as the DHCP server, Can I somehow connect my W2k server to the broadband port on the Linksys and fool it into thinking I have a broadband connection that it will share?

The only other option for me is to take the media server to a location with a broadband connnection and a TV, a lot of effort.

Ghost_Hacker
04-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Should be doable the only drawback would be how your proxy works.

First you will want to setup the router's wan port as a "static IP". This will allow you to connect it to a "normal" LAN and use your router like a wireless access point. The router's gateway address would then be set to the proxy server's IP.

Again your main problem will be how does the proxy server work with clients. If it needs a client program then you won't be able to get this to work.

Hope this helps :)