PDA

View Full Version : Americas Army

SpeckledJim
03-20-2005, 01:50 PM
i just downlaoded this game, took me 6 hours, but i have heard rumours that this game has "spyware" i dont know what that is so could anyone tell me if this game has this and is bad and if so should i get rid of it.
And does anyone know what ping is and why mine is always high even know i dont hav anything likekazza on.

saphalline
03-21-2005, 05:56 PM
6 hours to download? :eek: Wow! You must be on dial-up! I can't believe you even got it to download all at once! Next time, head over Download.com (www.download.com/) and get a download manager. That will help. ;)

Spyware is software that runs in the background of your computer and sends all sorts of personal or system-related data over the internet to people you don't know. Many times this happens without your knowledge, but sometimes spyware comes with legitimate programs and gets "permission" from you through the EULA of the legitimate program. I seriously doubt that America's Army has any type of spyware! That game was made by the US Dept of Defense, so it has the government's full backing! Whoever told you that AA has spyware is obviously a real spy and trying to undermine your patriotism!! :p Or they could just be vomiting up rumours that they themselves heard. :D

"Ping" is a latency term. It's the number of milliseconds it takes for a packet of data to be sent from your computer to the server (in this case one of the AA game servers) and back again. If you're on dial-up, I can understand why your ping is so high! What is it? 500-1000ms? That means the time it takes for your computer to respond is anywhere from 0.5 to 1 seconds. On a DSL or cable connection, the ping is often in the 100-400ms range (0.1 to 0.4 seconds). On a LAN, the ping is often in the 2-50ms range (0.002 to 0.05 seconds). Lower is better, of course. :cool:

SpeckledJim
03-21-2005, 06:19 PM
ok so how do i fix this, because earlier my ping was at 3000, and when i came out of the game my internet seemed a lot slower, how do i know if my computer is broadband or the other one?

pop pop
03-21-2005, 06:45 PM
First off, nice guitar. I have a 25 year old Fender F15 acoustic in perfect condition ... yeah, she's sweet, too.

Second, to answer the "broadband" question, how does your computer connect to the internet? Does it have a phone cord plugged into the wall? Does it connect through cable, like the cable for cable TV?

SpeckledJim
03-21-2005, 06:49 PM
i dont know there is a cable running up the wall behing my computer that goes to the ceiling could that be cable connection?

saphalline
03-21-2005, 07:31 PM
It's easy to tell if you have dial-up. Do you have to "dial into" the internet, or is your internet connection always on?

Broadband is always on, there is no "connecting" to the internet at all. It's just there.

Dial-up uses a modem, oftentimes you hear those screeching noises as the modem talks into the phone line.

SpeckledJim
03-22-2005, 12:19 PM
i dont hear any screeching through my phone ever or anywhere else does this mean i have broadband?

SpeckledJim
03-22-2005, 12:47 PM
it must be broadband. does that not mean that i should have a good connection or fast internet meaning that i should be having trouble with the game?

pop pop
03-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Maybe being more to the point will help, where is this computer (your home or somewhere else) and who hooked it up? I think maybe you should ask them.

SpeckledJim
03-22-2005, 04:38 PM
em i think i found the problem coz whenever i play european servers its ok so i think ill just stick to them thanks anyway

saphalline
03-23-2005, 01:35 AM
Ooh, I hadn't thought of that...

Location, location, location!! :D

SpeckledJim
03-23-2005, 02:32 PM
still a bit of a problem i just played on a european server and my ping was fine for a while way down at 100-150 most of the time but then it rocketed to over 1500 why is this?

SpeckledJim
03-23-2005, 05:36 PM
yeah im definetly still having trouble, ive tried everything.
another thing is when i go into my internet connections thing it says lan or high speed internet connected but above it it says broadband is not connected, i dont know if this means anythin

Wandrille
03-23-2005, 09:23 PM
ok i saw my dad fix my friends internet (IT WAS A MORE DIFFICULT PROBLEM)
if u just try reinstallin all of ur internet stuff like ur router or modem it should work or even call ur internet providers

saphalline
03-24-2005, 03:48 AM
Yeah, try resetting your cable/DSL modem. That might work. I've fixed odd internet problems in the past by doing that. Note that some cable/DSL modems need to be unplugged to fully reset them.

dlove
04-18-2005, 03:49 PM
I dont know if youll still look at this but maybe someone else will...AA needs ALOT of memory...and a VERY fast connection and a VERY fast processor. The way the game was made with all the shadows and realistic movements it will suck the memory out of it...to help lower settings in grahics options and make sure you have the proper settings in the connection options...with my 768 ram and 1.4 gig i still have to reboot after a hr play....and also make sure no one is piggy backing your connection ..like a router