PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network and Dial Up

maschmi2
04-11-2005, 01:21 PM
My dad has Windows 98 with dial up. I have a laptop with Windows XP Professional and wireless card. I just got an awesome deal on a Belkin Wireless G Router. How can I set up my dad's computer with the wireless router, so that I can surf the net on my laptop?

The reason I'm trying to do this is because my laptop does not have a RJ-11 port and my dad is, "perfectly fine with slow internet."

I was told by a friend I can connect the wireless router to the ethernet port on my dad's computer, and then I need to setup the wireless router so that it communicates with the modem. Does this make sense? I'm very confused.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

jimmy5k
04-11-2005, 09:21 PM
it is possible, but the way of doing it doesnt always work. the main principal is this

*use your dad's computer to share the internet via the ethernet port.
*turn off dhcp on the router.
*ensure the wireless router does not have the lan address of 192.168.0.1 as this is what your dad's machine will be set to (default internet sharing address)
*plug the dads computer into a LAN ethernet port (note, we are using the router as a wireless hub, not an actual router)
* attempt to connect your laptop to the wireless router.

now if all things correct and the powers that be are smiling on you, your internet connection should be shared. just be warned that the connectivity will still be slower.

i'm having NO end of trouble with mine.

jimmy5k
04-11-2005, 11:28 PM
the prinipal behind this is to use the router as a standard hub... only with a secondary form of connectivity.

using it as a router does not work. i've tried ... too many ways. i have managed to get it working as a hub/access point and if i find out where i went wrong, i'll let you know.

... and dont you want an rj45/crossover to lan with? rj11 is for a modem, isnt it?