PDA

View Full Version : Computers do not recognise each other

joeysmokey
04-11-2005, 01:22 PM
I have w Westell broadband modum. The Laptop has a Linsys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter 2.4 GHZ. The Desktop has a Linsys Wilreless-G USB Notebook adapter Coonected thru a D-Lind hub. All wiring seems to be correct. I can get on the internet eith either computer but I can't get the computers to recognise each other. I have used Wireless Network Setup Wizard but to no avail. Can anyone help me. Thanks.

hoezaycuervo
04-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Make sure you have the basics done:

Microsoft File and Printer Sharing needs to be installed on both
You need to be sharing a directory
Both computers need to be on the same workgroup
If computer management is installed, users either need an account or be able to authenticate as themselves

If those are done 90% of the time it will work and if not there are settings that just need to be tweaked.

classicsoftware
04-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Joeysmokey: Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif forums.

This first thing you need to explain is what O/S is on each PC. Once we kno what we are dealing with, we can give the best way to proceed. Without knowing what O/S, it's impossible to really gife effective advice...

joeysmokey
04-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Both computers are using Windows XP. Also, the router is a Linksys wireless G broadband. I have made the drives and folders on bothe computers shared.

classicsoftware
04-12-2005, 10:10 AM
You will need to have the following information:

1) A unique name for each PC. Less than eight characters:

Name of PC1:____________________

Name of PC2:____________________

2) The name of your workgroup. DO NOT USE MSHOME.

Name of Workgroup:____________________

Print & fill out above.

3) Run the Network wizzard on PC1 and create a disk.

4) Use the disk from step 3 to run the wizzard on PC2

5) Re-boot both systems.

6) Disable the windows firewall. Once communications have been established, you can download one of the free firewalls.

If you have XP pro, there will be additional steps required.

joeysmokey
04-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Still can't see but one computer (the computer being used) when opening network places. This is true of the laptop as well.

joeysmokey
04-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Using Windows XP on both computers

classicsoftware
04-14-2005, 06:59 AM
You need to create a user with an identical user name and password on Both PC's.

You need to disable the Windows firewall.