PDA

View Full Version : Wireless signal

ceejay
04-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Okay, so my new Dell has a built in mini-wireless card. There is a Linksys Access Point Router (WEP enabled) in my house on the second floor. However, when I search for available wireless networks, I pick up about 4 or 5 of my neighbors (some are WEP enabled as well), but not the one in my own home, even when I'm 10 feet from the router. I know the router works to some degree because my Uncle's laptop picks up the signal just fine.
I've already downloaded an updated version of driver for the card and checked in the wireless connections properties to make sure that Windows software was handling the connection, not Dell. The one thing I haven't done, which is probably the first thing I should've done, was to check to make sure the router is broadcasting the SSID. But, if that doesn't work, what next? :confused:

bassman
04-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Do not broadcast your SSID. Instead, go into your wireless cards settings and manualy input the necessary info. You might also want to input your WEP key rather then provide automaticly. Also go into network properties and, under TCP IP, input an available IP address along with the DNS server addresses ;)

Good luck