PDA

View Full Version : Wireless and ethernet together?

buddytod
05-08-2005, 02:40 PM
I have just established a wireless internet setup using a Netgear DG834G Modem/router and I have a Desktop + a Laptop working fine. I purchased a Netgear PCI wireless card for my son's computer and had real problems right from the start. It kept dropping the signal (a few seconds on excellent then no signal and so on). Turned out that the aerial assy is faulty! I am wondering if it is possible to have 2 computers connecting wirelessly and 1 connected by a direct ethernet cable connection thus avoiding the need to purchase another card?
Could anyone also recommend a decent walkthrough on how to setup file and printer sharing between the pc's on a wireless network setup. I had it done when we were using a hub and ethernet cables but now it is wireless I don't know where to start. I did follow the home network setup guide in win xp but no success!
Many thanks.

Bullman
05-08-2005, 04:09 PM
I found your model here (http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.php) and by the looks of it, you could potentially have 4 PC's hardwired and almost as many as you would want connected wirelessly. You will need one hardwired to the router/modem anyways if you ever have to do anything like upgrading the firmware. As long as your desktop has a Ethernet connector already in it, you can use that, you do not have to buy another wireless card for it.

As for setting up the wireless network, I set mine up pretty much the same way as when I had a completely hardwired setup. The best way it worked for me was to turn off all security on the Router while initially getting all PC's to see each other. Use a floppy disk to transfer settings to all pc's during the network setup stage. Here (http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834G.asp) is a link to your Router at Netgear. Look through there knowledebase articles and you should find any info that you need to get it all setup.

Good Luck! :)

buddytod
05-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Very many thanks to you Bullman! I really do appreciate your effort to assist me.