PDA

View Full Version : Makes No Sense, This One Is Strange

bluewolf919
06-05-2005, 11:08 AM
I've got two laptops set up on a Wireless Network. Both are using XP, and both are fairly new. One is a Dell, the other a Toshiba. Both are using the exact same Networking Card (and we have tried switching them to make sure one isn't defective).

The Dell computer acquires a strong wireless connection each and every time, and hangs on to it with absolutely no problem. The Toshiba struggles to acquire, and loses the single quickly and often.

We've checked the settings on both computers, and the Toshiba settings have been cloned to match the Dells. No dice. We've checked all of the hardware; it's all good.

We're both pretty knowledgable with computers, though we're still learning about wireless networking, and we've tried everything we can think of. I've been doing research, and asking other PC geeks for input, but so far no one can think of anything we haven't tried. If anyone has an idea, please send it.

bassman
06-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Hello bluewolf919 and welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif
It might help us if we had a bit more info on everything you have tried.

I've been doing research, and asking other PC geeks for input, but so far no one can think of anything we haven't tried.
That way we are not repeating what has been done. You did not mention the locations of these two laptops during this testing. Are they in the same room, on the same table/desk at time of testing? Are you certain they are accessing the same WAP? One of them may be accessing a neighbors WAP.
Letís see what you have tried before making other suggestions ;)

Good luck
Frank

bluewolf919
06-07-2005, 07:26 PM
The two laptops are sitting side by side while we test them.

We've tested the cards to see if they are defective; they aren't.
We've checked all of the network settings, and made sure that the Toshiba matches the Dell.
We've updated the required drivers on the Toshiba.
We've checked to make sure it is accessing the correct network (or attempting to); it is.
We've reset the modem to make sure the problem does not lie there, though we were fairly sure that it wasn't.
We've uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless networking software, in case of any defects or gaps.

We've checked all of the above at least twice, and I'm about ready to take a sledgehammer to the Toshiba. I won't, of course, because Jeff would be upset, but it's tempting.

Anyway, any suggestions or constructive brainstorming would be appreciated. I've worked on this until my brain is numb.

PrntRhd
06-07-2005, 10:04 PM
We've checked all of the network settings, and made sure that the Toshiba matches the Dell.
I would think you want the last octet of the IP address to be different on the two PCs, otherwise only one will work and the other will not.

i an not a nerd
06-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Make sure that the MAC addresses arn't the same.