PDA

View Full Version : data types

speech
07-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Hello there. I'm new on this site and I was wondering if anyone out there could help me. How are data manipulation operations performed on data types?

tommy
07-05-2005, 02:50 AM
It depends on the programming system you are using (e.g., C, C++, Java, etc.)

Data, broadly, are of two types: numeric(digits only) or alphameric (straight alpha or mixed alpha and numeric.)

In both cases the SYNTAX of the programming system you are using determines how the data are specified and what you can do wih each type of data and how to do it.

pangea33
07-05-2005, 10:35 PM
I read the original thread a little differently than Tommy. It appeared to me that Speech was referring to more complex data types, including strings, arrays, structures, datetime objects, document objects, etc.

Originally I just ignored this post, cause part of me wondered if it was a joke or not. No offense intended here speech, but are you new to programming? In my mind this question is sort of akin to asking how mechanics work on cars. It is far too general to have a real answer.

Are you intending to work with datatypes in a sequential scripting language, a compiled language, a database, or what? Please provide some more detail and you're likely to get more feedback.

speech
07-06-2005, 05:03 AM
Thank you guys for having the time to reply to my thread. Actually I'm not a programmer, I'm a technician and a student. We got this assignment that we have to do and I've been doing research on the internet to find some info but I could not. I'm doing N+ and they expect us to know what datatypes are. As a matter of fact I don't know what datatypes are but what I do know is that it's got to do with programming.
Please guys can you give the description of the topic I would really appreciate it.

tommy
07-06-2005, 05:21 AM
. I'm doing N+ and they expect us to know what datatypes are.
Is N+ a programming language? If so, try to find a manual/book on it. Maybe at a bookstore or your public library.

As your question now exists, it is too vague to provide any more information than we have already given.

tommy
07-06-2005, 05:51 AM
I did a google search on "N+ syntax" (without the quotes). Most of the hits were electrical concepts and there was only one that seemed to refer to a programming language:

http://www.rakit.hu/n/nplus_builder-guide.html

However if you have not had any programming background it probably won't make much sense to you.

speech
07-06-2005, 07:53 AM
N+ is networking and I don't have any background in programming. I managed to get the information. Thanks anyway for your replies mate.