PDA

View Full Version : Doom, the original games

jimmy5k
07-06-2005, 12:17 AM
hi, i know doom 3 is out and all that jazz, but i want some nostalgia.

i've been playing doom1 and doom2 for the better part of a decade now.
I had a whole heap of addons and stuff. only i lost my doomhack and my "alternate version" that allowed you to look up and down. if anyone knows where i can find it again, i'd be greatly appreciative.

say, does anyone play the old school games anymore?

i'm also looking for a few patches for quake as well. namely the extra characters and the grappling hook and bot support.

it did exist, once... *sigh*

saphalline
07-07-2005, 01:26 AM
Best bet is a Google search. It used to be quite easy to peruse the official game's site for all that stuff, but sadly it's become nearly impossible to find actual information amidst all the Flash menu systems. :rolleyes: I can't tell you the amount of hours I've wasted at various games' "official" sites just looking for the frickin' system requirements!! :mad: Now I just Google all that stuff - it's much easier.

Yeah, I still play the oldies when I find them on my hard drive. They're so small and so easily lost. :p I have the original Wolfenstien 3D and I think I have the Ultimate Doom 1 & 2 Collection somewhere... The problem with the old games is that they don't always work with modern high-end systems. I had numerous problems getting one of the Zork games to work until I switched my keyboard from USB to PS2. Very annoying, however, since modern games like Doom 3 actually gain functionality (and thus playability) by having a USB keyboard instead of a PS2 one. :rolleyes: Ugh - gaming across time is a real hassle...

jimmy5k
07-10-2005, 03:35 AM
cheers saph :)