PDA

View Full Version : Slow performance

aspire
07-12-2005, 09:12 PM
My computer has been running very slowly for some time. I've tried everything to correct the issue (some which doesn't help) -- new motherboard and processor, new hard drive (I have two installed right now), more RAM, etc.

The problem seemed to start when I installed Norton Antivirus and also when I switched to DSL service from dial-up. I only have basic understanding of computer lingo, and a simple understanding of installing hardware and software components. I just need someone to point me in the right direction. I don't know if I need more hardware components, an upgrade of my OS or other drivers/bios updates (and how to do this), or something else. Any help would be appreciated.

In case it makes a difference, I am using ME as my OS. Currently my computer's performance (right click my computer -- properties -- performance) is between 30-45 %. I have to, after a while, shut off non-responding programs just to get my computer to work properly.

Michael

saphalline
07-13-2005, 02:06 AM
Welcome to the PC Guide Forums!! :D

In case it makes a difference, I am using ME as my OS.Hmmm.... yes, that might make a difference. I never did like ME - it was the only version of Windows that corrupted my game files! :eek:

What hardware do you have in that system? Is it enough to run WinXP? You said you already upgraded the mobo and CPU and stuff like that - what did you upgrade it to? Also, if you managed to pull off a mobo upgrade, that's pretty advanced. I wouldn't call you "inexperienced" if you can do that! ;)

aspire
07-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks saphalline for your reply. :) Yah, I've heard the ME is the worst. I actually was considering updating to 2000, but XP could work (I just like 2000 layout better).

As far as hardware, I put in a new 80 GB hard drive about 3-4 months ago as a primary (my secondary is a 30 GB). The motherboard is the Venom V2DP by mach speed. There's a lot of specs that go with this, so I don't know exactly what info would help. I know it's a semi-new model (manufactured within 6-9 months I believe). It has the newer DDR 333 slots (one indentation) compared to the old 133 (two indentation) ones for RAM cards. I have two RAM cards in there -- I think totaling about 500 MB (pretty basic). I tried with only one RAM card, and then added the second -- only minor improvement to performance (so I figured I was dealing with another problem). The processor is a Sempron by AMD -- I'm told similar to that of the Athalon. It's not extremely fast, but pretty decent (actually about 3 or 4 times better than the old duron processor I had) -- somewhere around 2600-2800+, and it's a socket A. With this, I saw improvement as well, but only a small amount.

If I do need to upgrade the OS, how difficult does this make it to reload programs, files, etc. (do they transfer over, or do I completely need manually install all)? Are there any other issues I may be dealing with as well?

Thanks.

saphalline
07-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Oh well, if you like Win2K better, then by all means get that! I just get in the habit of suggesting WinXP for its gaming support. :D But Win2K is a lot nicer in the sense that it's just as good as XP, but runs a lot leaner. It requires half the RAM to stay happy, and a fraction of the CPU power. Not to mention it has a smaller HDD footprint. My friend and I had a few older systems running Win2K until just recently (finally got some newer & faster systems - decided to run WinXP Pro on all the systems in the network). I still really like Win2K, though.

Hmmm... it doesn't sound like your hardware is lacking in any way, so I think it's just WinME's fault. Maybe some spyware or viruses or just plain Windows gunk is messing it up, but if you're going to reinstall anyway, it may as well be to a better OS! 98SE was good, 2K is great, XP is great on faster systems, but ME just sucked! I have nothing good to say about it. If you like Win2K, use it.

You will have to reinstall everything. That's the nature of re-doing the OS. The first step in preparation for this is to back-up all your data. All saved games, documents, downloaded programs you want to keep, etc. Make verified copies of it all, either to your secondary hard drive or to CD's/DVD's, or both! You can never have enough parity! :D

The second step is to make sure you have all the files you'll need for your new system. Going from ME to 2K is a big step, and a totally different kernel, so you'll have to re-download all your hardware drivers for 2K or 2K/XP. We're talking chipset, video, audio, LAN, and any special hardware (like video capture cards or USB cards). Then download some other cool tools to help you in your new build - like Belarc Advisor, Everest Home Edition, memtest86, etc. Some people around here also never go anywhere without some sort of emergency boot disk. I'm tired right now, so I can't think of them off-hand. A few of these boot disks are Linux-based and entirely customizable (ie add your own drivers) and they run off the CD (so no touching your hard drive). And they're free! ;) You might actually want to start another thread dedicated to this sort of free & useful software for download.

After you've collected all the software stuff you need, you'll have to buy a copy of Win2K. Full versions are more expensive but more versatile (you only need the one CD) while the upgrade versions are cheaper but require a previous full version CD for a fresh install. I don't think 2K can upgrade from ME, though, so that might not be an option. On the other hand, 2K is older now and a lot cheaper, so it might be a moot point anyway! :p Unless you already have a copy of 2K?

Then all you have to do is wipe your main hard drive, install Win2K, install all your new driver versions, update 2K on M$'s site (with proper internet protection, of course), reinstall all your apps/programs, and finally put all your files and saved game files back where they belong. If everything goes smoothly, you'll only need the free utilities for playing around. It's easy! :p

Honestly, it's not too bad once you get used to it. I've done it enough that it's fairly routine to just re-do my Windows every 18 months or so. I also have multiple partitions to keep all my data/OS/programs separate, too, so things never get out of hand. This also ensures that if my system ever did get infected & hosed by a virus, that I haven't really lost anything but my OS installation. I can just reformat, reinstall, and be back up and running in no time. Partitions are very nice, you should think about setting some up when you move to 2K.

It's very easy to make a Windows Boot Disk (floppy) from ME, and then use that to set up partitions when you wipe your hard drive. You can specify the number of MB's per partition, set up the first one as the "active" partition (for installing an OS), and set up the other(s) as you like. Then, once you install 2K, you can easily convert all those partitions from FAT32 over to NTFS. NTFS has a lot of nicer features to it. I won't go into those now, but it's better by a lot.

Ok, lost track of things... Is that everything?

aspire
07-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Sounds good. I will update to 2k soon. I would be interested in knowing NTFS conversion from FAT32. Thanks again.

One question -- can I save all to my second drive and then load back on to the original drive once I load 2K (then do the same for the second drive)? This would save me a lot of time saving files and reloading programs.

saphalline
07-20-2005, 02:51 AM
Converting to NTFS is as easy as going into the Disk Management app (usually in C:\Windows\system32\diskmgmt.msc) and choosing the FAT32 hard drive in question. Can't remember the exact steps, and I can't look it up on my system because all my partitions are already NTFS! :p It won't let me do it again! Silly DM app... Just do a Google search on the topic - it should be easy to find the exact steps.

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. What are you going to back-up? An image of the whole drive or just the data? I'm not quite getting it. If you're wondering about saving your Program Files directory, complete with all your apps installed, that won't work. With Windows (unlike a lot of other OS'es) you need to actually install all your programs, or Windows won't know they're there and won't let you use them. You must have the install CD's/DVD's/files for all your programs when you reinstall Windows, or those programs are SOL.

aspire
07-26-2005, 09:41 PM
I'll look up the steps on the NTFS as you suggested.

As far as my other question, I was just wondering how much I need to reload. It seems that any program I use will have to be reinstalled. I think I'll just save my files on to a CD, and then put them back on to the drive after the OS installation. I'm just trying to figure out ways to save myself time in this, but it seems that I really can't.

Thanks for all your help on this. It will save me a lot of time from trying to research all this out myself.

Budfred
07-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Norton is a major resource hog and will slow down most computers... If you want good protection that is lean, get NOD32 and either Kerio or Sygate for a firewall... NOD32 has to be purchased, the firewalls are free... If you want a free antivirus, AVG and Avast are both pretty lean too... WinME is not that slow if you tweak it a bit and turn off unneeded settings....

rio_bugarin
07-28-2005, 11:21 AM
I'll look up the steps on the NTFS as you suggested.

I'm just sharing an experience when I used NTFS.

I was using fat32 when I suddenly taught of installing win2k with ntfs system. It worked fine. no problemo. However, when my mb crashed and I installed my hdd to a new system, I encountered the problem.

The system won't boot! There was a HAL problem. I dont have a bootable win2k cd so i tried using win98 boot disk. I cant see my drive c: because it was NTFS. I used the win2k startup disk but no luck since i cant install win98se. I had recovery console installed but it was completely useless to me since i cant reinstall. I was only able to fix the problem when i was able to borrow a bootable win2k cd. I reinstalled it with fat32 again. Then I decided reinstall win98se since i had a slower system.

I am not discouraging you in using win2k/ntfs. Its great! I love it.Just keep in mind to have a bootable win2k cd just in case :)