PDA

View Full Version : Building a new computer

DLeonR
07-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Hope I am posting in the right forum. I am trying to put this computer together but running into some problems I've never encountered before. These are my parts: AMD Athlon 64, Asus K8n MB, Liteon DVD rom, Asus X series V9400 video card, 512 mb ram, the case is 712-4HLW-SS, Samsung 120 gig hard drive. After putting everything together and pushing the start button, the cooling fans on the case and on the cpu turns for only about 2 to 3 seconds and everything turns off. I have built over 8 different units and never had this problem so I am stumped. Any help?

Jiggy
07-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Time for a bare bones build.

Build the computer out of the case by putting the mobo on its box and only adding cpu/heatsink, graphic card, one stick memory, does it power up ?

If not the problems with one of these cpu/heatsink, graphic card, memory, and or the mobo, if you have or know someone with parts to swop out and retry.

If it does power up shut down and add back your parts one by one reboot after each added part, what happens ?

DLeonR
07-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Jiggy, I will try those steps this evening when I get home from work. Thanks for the reply.

DLeonR
07-19-2005, 06:37 PM
I tried the bare bones method and I still have the problem. The last thing I did was to try to turn it on with just the cpu and the motherboard. I started and stop within a second or two. Does this mean the motherboard is not good? Or the case itself has a problem?

Jiggy
07-19-2005, 07:47 PM
If you built it outside of the case then either the mobo or cpu are bad.

Do you know anyone with the same mobo and cpu, so you can try your cpu in their mobo and their cpu in yours.

Also are you using thermal paste on the cpu ?

DLeonR
07-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Jiggy, I am the one scrwed up. On the motherboard there is a four (4) pin female connector that sits right behind the cpu fan, the power supply unit comes with the male part that plugs into the board. I guess its for added power to the board. This is a much newer board than the ones I have worked on previously. However thanks very much for your help.

Paleo Pete
07-20-2005, 02:01 AM
That's most likely it, if the motherboard has that extra 4 pin connector it must be used. (Some of the other guys actually know what it's called, I can never remember).

The other possibility I can think of is, if it's a P-4, I've seen several that would not run, even bare bones, with a factory 300 watt power supply, I had to swap it for a 400 or better to get them to boot at all. If yours does not power up after connecting the 4 pin power connector, try a different power supply before deciding the motherboard or CPU is bad.

Until you get it to boot, stay with the bare bones, out of the case method Jiggy suggested. Once you get it to boot and you can see video, then put it in the case. And NEVER power it up without the heatsink and fan installed. You get about 10-15 seconds and your CPU is fried.

saphalline
07-20-2005, 04:19 AM
It's just called the "square 12V connector". If you want to get fancy, throw in "4-pin". :p If you want to get really fancy, call it the "ATX12V square 4-pin connector", but that's going a bit overboard, don't you think? Especially for normal every-day conversation.

Yes, I tend to bore people at parties!

DLeonR
07-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Saphalline, that is exactly what it's called. I could not remember it eighter. However I got it running and everything is fine. Just have to partition the drive format and load win xp and the rest of programs.
I thank all of you great geeks out there for your help.

Jiggy
07-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Good to hear you`re up and running.

DLeonR
07-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks, Jiggy and the rest of you experts. Every time I think I know a little about computers I realize that how much I need to know.

saphalline
07-24-2005, 03:02 AM
Every time I think I know a little about computers I realize that how much I need to know.Haha! Don't worry, no matter how much you know or how good you get, that's always going to be the case! It's impossible to keep on top of everything related to the computer field. Just learn what you need to know, and maybe a bit extra in whatever field interests you the most, and be content. :cool: