PDA

View Full Version : Help installing Tiger Woods

Baldo
09-28-2005, 06:51 PM
I am having problems installing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 on my computer. When I insert the install CD the install screen comes up as it is supposed to do. After clicking install I get a message that says "error reading setup initialization file". This computer is running Windows XP home ed. This computer is only about a year old so I would assume that it is up to date. We have intalled other games ,Doom3, and others. I have looked on the Microsoft website for solutions to this problem but have not found anything about this problem. I have also installed this game on an older computer although it doesn't run the way it should,but I think this is because this computer is not compatable.

i an not a nerd
09-28-2005, 11:15 PM
Welcome to the PC Guide Forums!!!

Ah, this sounds bad.....almost like a reading error.

I don't know how many cds there are for installing, but my best idea would be to make a virtual image of the first cd (use the trial of Alcohol 120% just search it on google) and mounting it on the virtual cd drive that alcohol creates, then run the setup off of the virtual cd. If this is a multiple cd installation, when it prompts for the next disc, put the next disc in the real drive, and tell the installer to use the drive (usually D: unless you have mulitiple HDs, if so look in My Computer and it will show it.

Jason1971
09-29-2005, 03:15 AM
Have you tried to install anything else since this game? Is (or could) there be damage to the disc or corrupt installation files?

Just a thought...

NeWbiE :-)
09-29-2005, 03:16 AM
hmm i have reason to believe u might of illegally obtained this game...if u didnt then i cant help you...but if u did and of coarse if the moderators let me (which i promise they wont) theres a small way to get around this. either way good luck

saphalline
09-29-2005, 03:38 AM
No illegal stuff here.

Baldo
09-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Looking at the install disc I cannot see any damage to the surface of the disc. A friend of mine said that sometimes if you make a copy of the install disc that it might run off of the copy (why I don't know). Have any of you ever heard of this?

saphalline
09-30-2005, 03:57 AM
Yes, sometimes it works better to make a copy (if you can) or to use a virtual drive app (like Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools).

Legally, you are allowed to make a copy of any game CD(s) you own if the copy is for your own personal archive use. Usually, you are only allowed to have one copy of each game CD you legally purchased. However, with stronger and stronger copy-protection schemes, it has become tougher and tougher to actually do this. :rolleyes: This is all rediculous, too, because the only people who suffer from the copy-protection are legitimate consumers! You think a little copy-protection is going to stop all those enterprising cryptographers out there? Not really.

The other option is to get A120 or DT and make virtual copies on your hard drive. You can then install and run the game from the virtual CD/DVD drive that the software creates. This may work in your case, and if it does, you'll also have the benefit of increased gaming performance due to the "CD" being directly on your hard drive (which is much faster than any optical drive).

Here's a little copy-protection tidbit for you: Micro$oft spent millions of dollars and hundreds of man-hours to make WinXP's copy-protection schemes so insanely tough. They passed this extra cost on to the consumer, of course, like they always do. They claimed it was necessary to fight software pirating, which was costing them millions of dollars (does that figure sound familiar?) every year. When they released WinXP to the world, it took a total of 24 hours for a group of hackers to strip all that copy-protection away. Millions of dollars and hundreds of man-hours, gone in just one day...

NeWbiE :-)
10-01-2005, 02:11 AM
I also think i remember that with 3 of the 2005 EA Sports Titles, the autorun screen locked up/showed an error. Tiger Woods was not one of those games but anyway i believe i used Daemon Tools to run just the setup itself off of the disc but i cant exactly recall the process. I've heard EA Games gives good support- which is the only reason i felt this was pirated software. I figured anyone coming here before writing to EA Sports- has something to hide from EA Sports but... :confused:

saphalline
10-01-2005, 03:29 AM
Haha! Not everyone thinks to contact "customer service" first, if only because it has a bad name in the computer industry. What people don't know is that hardware manufacturers (not OEM's) and game publishers have pretty good support divisions. Only the big companies like Dell and HP have sucky "customer service" (and at that point why do they even bother anymore?).

fattires
10-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi. I liked you tech support to that other guy, so I wanted to ask... I have a legit copy of TWPGA2006, but I do not have a CDROM on my laptop (thinkpad x41). my laptop came with farstone virtual drive, and while i can load images of the game cd's into the virtual drives, the game comes up and tells me i still need to insert a disk into the cd rom. any suggestions? fattires

Jason1971
10-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Hello fattires, have a look at this thread (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40557) Hope it helps...

Jason

fattires
10-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey.... thank you for responding. However, I have tried Farstone VirtualDrive v9, Alcohol 52% and Alcohol 120%, and Daemon Tools. I have used both the VCD and ISO. And in every case, in every combination, I still get the same issue coming up: "Please enter Courses Disk and hit OK"

I have also tried loading the image into 3 different image drives, as well as every combination of Media Disk and Install Disk (and without) just in case those are needed.

Still no joy.

I've emailed EA Sports and haven't gotten a reply yet. I have also emailed Farstone.

Any other ideas? I tried loading You Don't Know Jack and that works fine as an image file and the game runs great. Thanks!!!

saphalline
10-27-2005, 05:43 PM
It could be that the game doesn't work at all on that laptop. Laptops are funny that way - I've seen games that should run but don't run for some odd reason. Have you tried reinstalling it?

Mugs
12-13-2005, 10:13 AM
I got my Dell Dimension 5000 about a year ago and tried to install Tiger Woods 2005. The first disk installs ok bit disk 2, the media disk, just hangs. No error message, it just doesn't do anything. The game installed on my previous Tiny computer and it also installs on my daughters Gateway computer. Any ideas to solve this? I am a total novice when it comes to the technical side so please keep it in basic terms. Cheers.

pcguider
01-12-2006, 03:12 AM
I just bought Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 but can't get it to run on my Toshiba Satellite 1415-173s laptop. I did a complete install of all 3 disks. I just skipped the online gaming option. Now when I try to start the game it tells me to insert Disk 3 Courses disk. I put it in and it just hangs there.. I hear the disk spinning.. it spins fast then it slows down.. spins fast then slows down.. keeps doing it over and over again and I get no error. I have to manually eject it in order to stop it.
My computer (bought new at bestbuy in Jan.2003) has all the minimum requirements except the video card is questionable (nvidia geforce4 420 ) which has 16mb video and the computer has the latest version of directx c.

Please help. :)

jlreich
01-12-2006, 08:36 AM
has all the minimum requirements except the video card is questionable (nvidia geforce4 420 ) which has 16mb video

TW 2005 needs a 32MB video card minimum, with 64MB or better recommended.