PDA

View Full Version : system overhaul

randoir
09-12-2000, 03:39 AM
Hi,

I will upgrading my system soon and would like some hardware advice. I use a Soyo SY-6BE+ MB (currently has PII 333 will move to max cpu PIII 550). I am removing the 6.4g 5400 rpm HDD to add a 7200 rpm. The MB supports UDMA 33 only w/100 mhz FSB max. Any suggestions for 7200 rpm HDD will be most appreciated. Anything more than 20g will be wasted space with me. Mobo has 3isa/4pci/1agp. I want to use a video card which will support DVD, TV-out, and TV tuning, hopefully 32mb. I believe my only options are the Matrox G400-tv, ATI's all-in-wonder pro 128, or Voodoo3 3500. Only play occasional games, but do lots of amateur image editing (photoshop, picture it, photoimpact). Should I stick with dvd w/decoder or will bare drive with one of these cards do the trick? I will have 128 megs ECC PC-100 ram. Currently the machine runs on NT4 w/sp6 but will move to fresh install (oem) of win2k. Modem is hardware based isa (creative modemblaster) and sndcard is pci (turtle beach montego). I was thinking of bumping sndcard to SB live w/dig I/O ports. I want to replace basic 17" monitor with 19" reasonably priced AG(.24-.27) badboy. Is win2k right OS for system or should I just stick with 98se?(ME doesn't even sound slightly interesting). Any additional editing advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy

Charles Kozierok
09-12-2000, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by randoir:
I will upgrading my system soon and would like some hardware advice.
Hi Randy! Incidentally, if you haven't yet, check out The PC Buyer's Guide (http://www.pcguide.com/buy) for lots of nice info on buying PC stuff. Look especially at the section on components (http://www.pcguide.com/buy/des/comp.htm).

I use a Soyo SY-6BE+ MB (currently has PII 333 will move to max cpu PIII 550). I am removing the 6.4g 5400 rpm HDD to add a 7200 rpm. The MB supports UDMA 33 only w/100 mhz FSB max. Any suggestions for 7200 rpm HDD will be most appreciated. Anything more than 20g will be wasted space with me.
Hard drives are a matter of personal preference, any recent offering from a big name will do nicely. I like Maxtor drives now because they are fast and have a no-quibble warranty. The new IBM drives are also very nice.

Mobo has 3isa/4pci/1agp. I want to use a video card which will support DVD, TV-out, and TV tuning, hopefully 32mb. I believe my only options are the Matrox G400-tv, ATI's all-in-wonder pro 128, or Voodoo3 3500. Only play occasional games, but do lots of amateur image editing (photoshop, picture it, photoimpact). Should I stick with dvd w/decoder or will bare drive with one of these cards do the trick?
Can't help you with the video much, sorry. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

I will have 128 megs ECC PC-100 ram. Currently the machine runs on NT4 w/sp6 but will move to fresh install (oem) of win2k.
Get more RAM. Everything I have read suggests 256 is a good idea, and RAM is cheap.

Modem is hardware based isa (creative modemblaster) and sndcard is pci (turtle beach montego). I was thinking of bumping sndcard to SB live w/dig I/O ports. I want to replace basic 17" monitor with 19" reasonably priced AG(.24-.27) badboy. Is win2k right OS for system or should I just stick with 98se?(ME doesn't even sound slightly interesting). Any additional editing advice would be most appreciated.
Randy
I don't know about the OS. I run 9x on my machines because it is simpler, cheaper and works with the widest variety of hardware and software. If you need the reliability and security of 2K then go for it, but for the average person I still don't see the point.

For monitors, I would strongly recommend shopping in person so you can pick one that looks good on the eyes. Again, a very personal shopping item, and you'll not find many people reviewing them in a meaningful way. See the section on components I just mentioned for specific buying tips!

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

ReddDogg
09-12-2000, 08:27 PM
I have a few ideas for your upgrade. First of all, Maxtor 7200 rpm 20.5 gb hard drive is the best one I have found for both performance and durability. They don't cost much more, but they are highly touted and I run 2 of them in my house. I also have an ati all in wonder 32 mb pci card which has everything you desire, it cost a good deal, but I think it was worth the money, with one thing... I can't record rented videos on my hard drive because ati comes with macromedia protection built in, so it can't be disabled. But then again, that would be illegal, so it shouldn't bother me. It does a great job tuning in TV, and running on an Atlon 500 with 128 megs of ram it can be recording a tv show while running other applications. As far as ram goes, I have personally not seen windows 98 run any faster with 256 megs vs. 128, but 64 vs. 128, and 32 vs. 64 show a big improvement. Windows Millenium is more of a memory hog, so if you want to install that, then you should go with more ram in my opinion, but you would be best to get 2 128 cards, so if you decide to run just one of them, you can sell the other, or put it in another system (that is what I ended up doing). I would not put win2k on there, it is great for secuity, you can run ntfs as your file system, but it doesn't run well for speed and it also doesn't run alot of appz. I would recommend millenium, 128 megs is enough to run it, i have 9 computers, and ME is running on 4 of them. I have heard some mixed reviews on whether ME runs better than 98, but in my experience it does, and it's system restore feature and lack of crashes is what has me sold on it.

------------------
Joe Redd
MCP

randoir
09-13-2000, 02:02 AM
Thanks Joe and Charles, the advice was right on the money. The ATI card sounds like it's right up my alley then. Looks like I will stick with 98 as my OS; I'm not sure if I want 2K headaches. That maxtor drive is about the size I was leaning towards. Guess I'll have to make the trek down to CompUSA to go monitor hunting. Thanks for the input guys.

randy