PDA

View Full Version : IBM Upgrade

tobias
10-06-2000, 06:10 PM
I have an IBM Aptiva MMX 200 and would like to upgrade it. I'd like to know some of the basics if you have them. Max processor size I can use, Max hard drive size, and so on. If a new motherboard is required, please suggest a few good brands.

Thanks,

Tobias

Paleo Pete
10-06-2000, 09:28 PM
You'll have to have a motherboard manual to find out what CPU's it will support. Most boards that support 200MMX will accept 200 max, like mine, or sometimes up to 266MHz. No way I can tell you without the manual.

Hard drive, I'd almost bet you'll run into a maximum drive size limitation of either 8GB, or occasionally 10GB.

Again you'll have to check into the specifics of the case to know what motherboards it will accept, IBM's are proprietary, not just any board will fit in the case. Good brands...Epox, DTK, Asus, Soyo, Gigabyte, and a few others all have good reputations. You'll probably have to have an integrated board, with at least video onboard, and PS/2 mouse & keyboard connectors, and possibly the printer and COM ports along the bottom, depending on where IBM put them.

Sorry I don't have more answers, but you're dealing with a proprietary machine, a lot depends on how IBM built the thing to begin with.

You can write down the BIOS ID string, and check my site below, I have links there to sites where you can identify the motherboard, and sometimes actually find manuals for the old beasts...check the top link, Trish's, the best site I know of for looking up hardware info, links to all kinds of goodies. Check in the Motherboard/BIOS section.

Also check the IBM site and see if they have any info on the Aptiva series.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

tobias
10-09-2000, 08:11 AM
Thank you for the excellent information.