PDA

View Full Version : socket a(duron/t-bird VS slot a (athlon k-7)???

wendelgee
10-03-2000, 04:23 AM
thinking about using the duron processor and socket a mobo because of the cheaper price for a 700mhz setup than the slot a athlon. Is the duron comparable to the thunderbird or the athlon? It will be used for the internet and some gaming. Any ideas on which cpu/mobo combo i should go with? this is what i'm thinking about:

Amptron iCue MK7AV mobo(runs duron or t-bird to 1000mhz, 4x agp, sound
AMD Duron 700 mhz cpu
128 mb pc133 ram
32 mb Riva TnT-2 4x agp video card
56x cdrom

Rayista Geoff
10-05-2000, 09:43 AM
I would *definitely* go for the Socket A as opposed to Slot A combination. AMD is phasing out Slot A, which'll mean buying a new CPU and motherboard when you want to upgrade. Things move fast of course, but at least with a Socket A you could upgrade to a 1.1Ghz Thunderbird Athlon in 18 months or whenever.

Only other general advice I'd give is to be sure to get a quality name-brand motherboard. Don't recognize the manufacturer you mention, but it just could be that they're not big in the UK.

Otherwise, looks pretty reasonable.

Geoff

Charles Kozierok
10-05-2000, 09:51 AM
Sound advice. And FWIW, Amptron has a very spotty reputation for quality; do some searching around.

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

fjmata
10-05-2000, 05:51 PM
I recently built a pc using an AMD Duron 600MHz with a Epox EP-8KTA motherboard. I want to save some money and be able to upgrade it in the future. After doing some research I decided on the Epox EP-8KTA. The settings were easy to understand, and if I want to in the near future, I can upgrade my system to a Duran 750MHz or an Athlon 1GHz.
If you want more info checkout these web sites: http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/ep8ktaintro.html http://www.epox.com/html/english/products/motherboard/ep-8kta.htm
Good Luck.

wendelgee
10-05-2000, 10:10 PM
thanks all for the good advice. I've decided against going with
the amptron board. Gonna spend a few extra bucks and go with a better name. Im starting with a duron 700mhz, but will need a board that will work with up to a 1000mhz thunderbird for upgrading in a few years down the road. I also need a mobo that has the micro atm form with 4x agp. Ayone have a board like this that they would like to recommend? thanks,
Dave

cambull
10-25-2000, 06:14 PM
I recently purchased an Asus KT7-RAID MB for my Athlon 800 which works great. Jumperless, works up to 1GHz, lots of tweakable clocks if you are that way inclined. It even supports RAID disk system with controller on the board (only a little more expensive than non RAID). It has ATA100 capability and 4x AGP. Form factor may be a little larger than you want. Asus have a good name here. I'm not sure if you can get them where you are.

I think the Duron is currently best bang-for-buck but be aware that there is some software (not much) that needs the PIII chip exclusively and won't run on other CPUs.

dpeck
10-26-2000, 12:24 PM
I hear you can overclock those Duron 700's to up to 950Mhz safely.. You could atleast boost it into the 800s...