PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade a Celeron 500Mhz CPU

grumps
11-10-2000, 03:28 PM
My one year old PC has a Celeron 500Mhz CPU in,presumably,a socket 370.Can I replace this with a Celeron 700Mhz CPU as a straight forward swop of one for the other?

Paleo Pete
11-10-2000, 10:24 PM
You'll have to take a look in the motherboard manual to be sure. If you don't have one, write down the BIOS ID String, the long number at bottom left usually, the [Pause] key will hold the screen so you have time to write it down.

Then go to my site posted below and look for the BIOS links, or Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell, in the Motherboard/BIOS section, you'll find links to identify the motherboard and get a manual. The manual will tell you what CPU's are supported, and the jumper settings necessary to make them work properly on your board.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

grumps
11-13-2000, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Paleo Pete:
You'll have to take a look in the motherboard manual to be sure. If you don't have one, write down the BIOS ID String, the long number at bottom left usually, the [Pause] key will hold the screen so you have time to write it down.

Then go to my site posted below and look for the BIOS links, or Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell, in the Motherboard/BIOS section, you'll find links to identify the motherboard and get a manual. The manual will tell you what CPU's are supported, and the jumper settings necessary to make them work properly on your board.

Cheers Pete,MoBo identified,manual downloaded,problem solved.Don't eat yellow snow!!!Thanks again.Grumps.