PDA

View Full Version : upgrade and get it running

Omei
11-12-2000, 05:30 PM
I'm totally new to this upgrade concept and probably someone has asked this before but I couldn't find an exact answer.
I've been given a 486dx2-66 8MB RAM 425MB HD. I want to run Win98 on this to do word processing and run a basic dos medical program. I know I should add memory, get a larger hard drive and add a cd-rom drive. I've been reading alot but still can't figure out what parts would be compatible with this systems?

bootay
11-12-2000, 05:36 PM
I'd question whether it is worthwhile to spend money on that ancient machine. Sure, you could add RAM (if you could find some that works in it) and have a working Win98 machine, but you are probably better off buying one of the $499 machines (Compaq IPAQ, etc.) that have PIII CPU's, 64MB RAM, nice hard drives, fast video cards, USB ports, and Windows 2000 already ready to go.

Upgrade route:
$50 for CD, assuming the IDE controller supports standard IDE CD roms.
$100 for larger hard drive, but the IDE controller/motherboard are almost assuredly not going to support the full size and you'll have to go through some hassles, albeit minor with recent hard drive manufacturer software included in the box.
$50 for RAM, assuming your can find 30 or 72pin simms anymore (whatever it takes).
$xxx for installation time. None of these tasks is very difficult, but the first time you do anything... Assume $100 charge to get everything installed (assuming it all works and you don't need anything else).

That still leaves you with an old junker of a PC that just cost you $300 to get to a semblance of usability.

Paleo Pete
11-12-2000, 09:25 PM
486 is bare minimum requirement for win98, I think you'd be better off using win95 with it.

If you want to spend a few bucks, it is worth upgrading, if you take a look at CSO (http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/) and Pricewatch (http://www.pricewatch.com) you'll be able to find the components you need at good prices. CSO, for instance, currently has 2.8GB drives for $54, and refurbished 4.3GB drives for $59. Both would be well within the 8GB drive size limitation you're likely to have in that machine. They also usually have 72 pin and 30 pin memory.

You could also look around, they have some good deals on motherboard/CPU combos that would bolt into the same case. Just about any CD ROM will work. It's probably an AT form factor case, so don't get an ATX board, unless you're sure it will fit and you have an ATX power supply.

CSO has a good reputation, I've dealt with them for 3 years, and have always been satisfied. Almost my entire system I'm using now came from CSO, and nothing is under 3 years old, except the modem and motherboard, which both got fried by lightning a year ago.

Can't vouch for Pricewatch, they basically list prices from everywhere you can think of, but a lot of the prices are very good. Watch out for the ones that don't list shipping cost, it's usually twice as much as the ones that do list it.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Omei
11-13-2000, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the input. found a refurbished dell at CSO i think thats the way to go!

Paleo Pete
11-13-2000, 10:35 PM
good deal...still wanna use that 486? If you can get your hands on a copy of DOS 6.22 and a copy of win3.11 it would make a very good game machine and you can find tons of older game downloads on the Internet. The 425MB drive would be plenty, most games etc. that will work with DOS and win3.11 are fairly small.

I'm running win3.11 on a P-60, and have over a dozen games on it, and still have over 50MB left, with 3 different word processors, 2 or 3 photo viewer/editors, sound software, fax software, MS Money, MS Works, etc. Best part is, you don't have to upgrade it. It'll handle DOS/win3.11 as is.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)