PDA

View Full Version : Buying new case need advice

Matt
11-01-2000, 11:39 PM
After my power supply started to bite the dust I have decided to replace my case that I have bought from Tiger Direct. Due to the weight of cases I do not want to pay large amounts of money for shipping and handling so I am trying to find a good case in a local store. I have just started looking and so far I have seen some Antec cases that looks promising. The KS-280 ATX Premium Mid Tower Case, 250W Power Supply, 7 Drive Bays, Beige case being one. The other one that I saw was the full tower case w/ a 300 watt power supply. Both are priced at $100. The only other cases that I have seen are made by FMI, I have not heard of this company before and the cases they make are also cheaper: $69.99. I really do not want to buy another case with crappy parts installed since I have already had enough trouble with what I have now. Are the cases from Antec and FMI quality cases or are they cheaply made?

scada
11-11-2000, 12:23 PM
I've heard of the Antec cases and their ok. Never heard of FMI. If you buy a case with more than 3 drive bays I would recommend that the case have a 300w power supply.

Another option would be to buy the case without the power supply and purshase the PS from a site like PC Power and Cooling.

Matt
11-16-2000, 03:21 AM
That was one of my concerns about my current case and power supply since mine is rated around 200 to 250 watts. And since I am running 2 hard drives and 2 cdrom drives as well as 2 or 3 extra fans on the case. The case that I am looking at has a 300 watt power supply.

Charles Kozierok
11-16-2000, 10:22 PM
You should be fine with a 250W if it is of decent quality. Regular fans use very little power, and modern drives do as well.

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.