PDA

View Full Version : EDO vs. SDRAM

BigBlue66
11-21-2000, 02:18 PM
Howdy,

I currently have 64megs of EDO memory at 70ns. As some of you know, I am limited to that amount by my Triton 430VX chipset.

My mobo is an Atrend, ATC 1020+. SiSoft Sandra Standard (I haven't found my mobo manual yet) is reporting that the mobo will accept SDRAM memory as well as my current EDO memory.

I realize that SDRAM is supposed to be much better than EDO and all that, but was wondering by just how much.

Question: Will I notice a vast improvement by switching to SDRAM, or will there only be minimal improvement?

Thanks guys, for your insight.

Big Blue 66

BigBlue66
11-24-2000, 08:57 PM
Hey Big Blue,

Don't you know these guys are way too busy anwering important questions? Who wants to be bothered by your stupid questions about EDO vs. SDRAM memory?

Yes, of course, try the SDRAM, it will speed things up considerably. Only trouble is, which SDRAM are you supposed to buy, you dumb cluck?

Big Blue 66

Paleo Pete
11-24-2000, 11:00 PM
I have to wonder about people who answer themselves...hehe

Don't think you would notice a great difference between EDO and SDRAM, it would mainly depend on the differences between access time. Someone may come along and correct me, but I don't think it would be a major difference, maybe a noticable minor speed up...Might be worth a try.

------------------
Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

xor_chad
11-25-2000, 04:49 PM
I again agree with pete. The difference will me minute. SD is faster but not so fast that it will make your head spin. The true differences come in when you increase the bus speed itself. More RAM is the answer. Always MORE!!!!

ps. Actually EDO will cost you 2x as much as SD RAM. So if you need more RAM. Replace it with SD NOT EDO. *AND* dont buy 66MHz rated SDRAM, buy the 100MHz so you can use it when you get a new CPU.

------------------
Chad Wilson
C++/ASM Programmer
PC Support Technician

BigBlue66
11-25-2000, 09:13 PM
Finally. Thanks guys.

Big Blue

Paleo Pete
11-26-2000, 07:40 AM
Sorry Blue, somehow I missed your post for a couple of days...didn't mean to ignore you...

------------------
Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)