PDA

View Full Version : Aptiva 100 MHZ Upgrade Chip

Angel
11-28-2000, 11:09 PM
I have IBM Aptiva Pentium - no problems - Model 2158 M53 Not quite sure what type of upgrade to get for processor - Would like to hear other Aptiva owners experiences and best way to go - -

Paleo Pete
11-29-2000, 04:55 AM
Well, upgrading might be possible, but it requires a motherboard manual, and some more info about the computer. IBM makes highly proprietary machines, so your upgrade options are likely to be limited, but once you look up some specs in a motherboard manual you might find you can use a faster CPU and/or more memory. Those are usually the most important areas to consider in upgrading. I'd say let's hope the board will take a faster CPU, you'd be lots happier with a 200 or so...100MHz is a bit slow...

If the motherboard does not have a model number printed on it, some digging is in order. Write down the BIOS ID string, which will be on the first boot screen while the memory counts up, the [Pause] key will hold the screen so you can write it down. It's the long number at bottom left, ususlly. Then go to my site below, and look in the BIOS links, or at Trish's, the very top link, Motherboard/BIOS section, and you'll find sites that help identify your motherboard, and might find a manual. The manual will list what CPU's the board will support, and how much memory, and usually what type memory. Award and AMI both have a BIOS ID utility I think. It might work as well.

Hard drive: If you're interested in a larger hard drive, I would bet any 3 peoples' next months pay you'll have a drive size limitation of 8GB, so stay under that size.

------------------
Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)