PDA

View Full Version : What CPU?

nedah
11-29-2000, 07:38 PM
When buying new software the box usually states the minimum system requirements to run the software. This statement, when referring to the CPU, normally mentions an Intel product. Where can I find a chart which sets out the equivalent CPU from other manufacturers eg AMD, Cyrix?

scada
11-30-2000, 12:22 PM
I have only seen a chart like that once. It only had Intel and AMD processors on it.(sorry I don't remember where)
IMHO the only CPU info that's should stand out when looking at those minimums is the processor speed .

If your into games and not sure which processor to buy. I would stay with Intel. Most programs are optomized to run on Intel's x86 extensions first (MMX..)Then they'll add support for AMD's extensions (3dNow...) Plus I have never heard of anyone having a problem with a game because of an Intel processor. The same can not be said about the other guys.

Just for the record I am running a Athlon 650 and I would compare it to a Pentium 3 running at the same speed. (A coppermine at the same speed would run a tad faster). the K6s are a tad slower then the Pentium 3s so I would proably compare them to Pentium twoes.

Someone else may have a better way to compare them.

Hope this helps and if I see that chart again I'll let you know.

http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif