PDA

View Full Version : help with o/c

rdhizzle
12-28-2005, 01:06 PM
K I'm trying to overclock a geforce 6200 128mb agp card and everytiem i test it it passes but when i hit apply it sits there witha an hour glass mouse and i cant move it so i have to manually restart. It passest eh system stabability test so i dont know why its not overclocking. I didnt even raise it taht much from the stock settings. Stock settings where 350 core 500 mem i think i put it 365 540 mem.

saphalline
12-28-2005, 01:34 PM
This should go in the "Performance SIF" section of the forums.

rdhizzle
12-28-2005, 02:12 PM
could u put it in there? and maybe gimme some advice if you know whats goin on? Thanks :)

hockey man
12-28-2005, 02:59 PM
I don't want to sound "rough" or put your aspirations down, but O'clocking takes a lot of research to do right. Unless the card came with a manufactureres o'clocking software, you will be forced to o'clock in the BIOS. You could potentially fry something. Check out http://www.overclock.net/ for some help.

Jiggy
12-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Also read through this site - http://www.overclockers.com/

saphalline
12-28-2005, 10:11 PM
The problem with your OC'ing is that you were too agressive. +15 MHz core, and +40 MHz RAM was too much all at once. Take it slowly, 5 MHz jumps, only adjust either core or RAM at a time. Never both at once.

Most vid cards won't give you more than 3-6% OC's anyway. The ones that routinely give 15% or more are hand-picked. What manufacturer/model of 6600 did you get?

rdhizzle
12-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Ok I successfully o'c'd my card and i click apply at startup and when i restart my comp it goes back to default settings. Any help?

jlreich
12-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Look in whatever program you are using to OC, and see if there is a option to start with windows. Or an option to save and load a profile with your settings. Or you may have to load the settings every time you reboot. It depends on the program you are using to OC.

There are sometimes options to load settings when a 3D program is detected loading.

Search through your program options to see what you can find.

paul_
01-24-2006, 08:27 AM
I consider myself amazingly lucky, because my Sapphire Radeon X700PRO OC'ed like, well, a pro! I used ArctiClean on the HSF and GPU, applied Arctic Silver 5, and now I can OC my card to 470MHZ core, 455MHZ RAM, from 425!

That card is a beast, simply said.

That aside, make sure you have the best OC'ing software, and if it came with the card, it probably is. If not, unfortunately I am an ATI guy, so I don't know any of the nVidia OC'ing software. PowerStrip might work, but I'm not sure.

-Paul

madad2005
02-07-2006, 07:12 AM
To overclock NVIDIA cards you have to use coolbits. Here is the download for it:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815

Extract the files, and double-click on the icon 'coolbits' and it will edit the registry so that the overclocking features appear. Then you go to display properties -> advanced -> 6200 -> core frequency (or something - can't remember off the top of my head). Click on manual overclocking (or the 3D option) then do as Saphalline said - go up in small increments and then 'test settings'. Once you are happy with that, there should be an option below it to 'apply these settings at startup'. Click that and there you go. I'd suggest using a burn-in program like 3DMark2001 to make sure that the settings work and you don't get any artifacts (unresolved graphics on screen - you'll know them when you see them).

For the 6200, I have a funny feeling there are pixel shaders blocked off depending on the core your card has. If you have the correct core, you could be able to take the 6200 to 6600 levels. This would require using Rivatuner and getting more knowledge from other softmodders who have done it. Unlike overclocking, this will not damage either your card or your warranty. Best to ask around at www.guru3d.com for this, as I'm not sure anyone here does this sort of thing.