PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Video Card Voodoo5 or Geforce2?

zomster
12-05-2000, 01:13 AM
I am upgrading my video card the 2 cards I am debating about are the Asus Geforce2 32MB DDR & Voodoo5 5500 64MB

I am a gamer so looking for a good gaming card which I know the Geforce is supose to give the most gaming power. Though most games out there are designed for 3DFX so would I get more out of the Voodoo5 for most games?

Which card would you guys prefer? also any additional advice on these cards or others would be great.

Thx
Zom

BigBlue66
12-05-2000, 01:21 PM
Hey Zomster,

I can't speak for Geforce, but I have been running a Voodoo 4500 PCI 32mb SDRAM, for a few weeks now. I'm not much into heavy gaming but the 2D graphics and/or image quality is superb. In my opinion, when I want to upgrade, it would be with the Voodoo 5500, since it has several enhancements over my 4500.

Anyway, am very happy with Voodoo. Them's my two cents. Oh, and by going with the Voodoo card, it looks like you would be gaining another 32mb of memory. I would think that 64mb of SDRAM would handle gaming very well.

Cheers,

Big Blue 66

BigBlue66
12-05-2000, 04:17 PM
One more thing. I hear that DDR memory is the wave of the future.?? I can't really decide if 64mb SDRAM is better or worse than 32mb DDR ram.

Maybe somebody who either has experience with Geforce, or is familiar with DDR memory can offer an opinion.

Cheers,

BB66

zomster
12-05-2000, 04:52 PM
Yah at this time the 32 DDR ram on the geforce is better then the 64 on other cards as the ram it self is faster and most games out there still only take use of upto 32mb of the cards memory I beleave.. Geforce is defently more powerful for gaming as thats basicly what the cards designed for.. I heard that the Voodoo5 doesnt run as fast at the higher res.

Main thing that I cant make up my mind yet is the fact that most games out there are designed for the 3DFX chipset so how I see it most games wont come any were near using the full power of the Geforce2 and may see more performance from the Voodoo5.

Though the newer games are bound to be more compatable with the Geforce

well thats what I am hopeing to find out here on this board http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

BigBlue66
12-05-2000, 10:44 PM
Well then, I reckon it depends on whether you have a bunch of older games that would run just fine on the Voodoo, or are you so much into gaming that you buy every new game that comes out?

If the latter is the case, then I suggest going with the Geforce. At any rate, I think that you have basically answered your own question.

BB66

Rick
12-08-2000, 04:24 AM
Do your self a favor.
Get the Geforce2.
I have one of the Voodoo5's and hate the thing.
It's slow on High end opengl games.
Slow on high resolution 2D graphics

So Much so that I have removed it from my system and given it to the Kids for their Old DOS games.

BigBlue66
12-08-2000, 10:47 AM
Hey Rick,

I'm shocked. I have a Voodoo 4500 and can't say enough good things about it. Although I am not much into gaming, the 2D effects are awesome on my system.

Could it be that the speed of games, etc. is somehow affected by other attributes of your computer?

I don't want to start a big debate here, just thought I would add my two cents. I may very well be disatisfied with my board if the granddaughter wants to get into some heavy gaming while she is at my house. Just have to wait and see, I reckon.

Cheers,

Big Blue 66

Rick
12-08-2000, 11:29 AM
BigBlue66.

No Big deal.
For some the speed of the voodoo is acceptable .
I work with a lot of True color Photo Editing.
Scanned from 35mm slides and print film.

The Voodoo would paint the photo on the screen from top to bottom.
I could count the number of seconds it took.

I also installed a game on my system for the Kids till I upgraded the one I use for a server and game system for the kids.
The FPS on the Voodoo were 25-40. While the Geforce was getting double that at least on a lesser machine,

I read the spec's on the Voodoo. To get the most out of it.
They said it would be best in a P3.
Well here's a few spec's for my system.
Asus p3v
p3-733
256 meg pc-133 ram
IBM 30 gig ata100 H/D
Both ide and scsi cd-rom's 40x and 52x
S/B live
3com 10/100 nic

I see nothing in the above to slow things down.
Except maybe Windoz98 se http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

I installed my old Matrox G400 and went back to editing Photo's http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

BigBlue66
12-08-2000, 10:24 PM
Rick

Sounds like you have one screamin machine there. All I know is my Voodoo works fine for me, now. Maybe not later, but for right now. The board was an upgrade from a bottom shelf Matrox, so I am impressed.

I have a Matrox G400 on my computer at work, and I think it's a fine board.

If I ever get into gaming heavily, I will heed what you said about the Geforce. Only problem is, my old eyeballs can't follow everything that's the norm for today's games. Pac Man is more my speed. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Big Blue 66

trevmartini
12-13-2000, 12:15 AM
The 64mb ATI Radeon is going to turn some heads shortly. Specs on this card are awesome and early reviews are supporting the cards hype.

adam_eddy
12-15-2000, 02:08 PM
While all that may be true, the new geforce2 ultra 64MB cards are running circles around the radeon 64MB and crushing the voodoo 5500. Alot has to do with the 2nd generation transform and lighting (T&L) engine found on the geforce2 and the fact that the DDR RAM runs at 460MHz. I don't think the 3dfx cards even have a T&L engine. check out tom's hardware site (www.tomshardware.com) for a comparison and see for yourself. if this card is too pricey ($450-500) there are more economical versions of the GeForce2 that drop down to around $100, and all have the same T&L engine.

You also have to look at the pipeline size: 128-bit SDR RAM is usually more efficient (i.e. faster) than DDR RAM with two 64-bit pipelines.

stimpson j. cat
12-15-2000, 10:52 PM
Just my two cents,
I am using the Voodoo 5 64MB and it works fine with any game I play. Quake, Starcraft, Age of Empires 2, Mechwarrior 4, etc. A variety of games, you can see. I have a T-bird 1G on an Asus A7V. No probs with this card. Just a side note, The 64 MB isn't necessary unless you play games at high resolutions like 1024x768 or higher. At normal resolutions, you won't notice any improvement for a 64 MB card over a 32 MB card. So unless you want to play your games at high resolutions, you should get a 32 MB card to save a little cash over the 64 MB version. Oh, btw, your card is AGP right? That's what you should have, if not you should take care of that first. Later.

------------------
"Reinstall Windows again? Oh joy!"

Rick
12-16-2000, 12:52 PM
An example of one game that the Voodoo 5
falls behind any Geforce2 is Heavy Metal Fakk2
Regardless of the Resolution. Or color depth .
The only way to get above 25 FPS in that game was at
a point in the game that was a clip (Video)replayed many times.