PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best and most stable Windows OS?

Mac Marty
12-14-2000, 11:27 AM
Maybe the computer geniuses can advise me on this one. My Windows 98 seems to be very unstable - almost every time after I close a program or window such as My Documents a blue screen pops up that says Windows on the top of the screen and in the middle it says something like "Windows encountered 00000019272762 - it may be possible to continue normally and all unsaved work will be lost" (not exactly those numbers, but like that). That's all it does - it doesn't say why it's doing it or what the problem is - just says to strike any key to continue and then I do that and it takes me back to the desk top or wherever.

I don't know why it's doing this and I can never get through to tech support, so since this appears to be a weird problem with the OS would just upgrading the OS eliminate the problem all together? Does anyone know which Windows OS is the best and most stable for stuff like Digital Audio multi-tracking and similar applications? What about Windows 98se or Me? Are those any good? Many thanks

BigBlue66
12-14-2000, 05:59 PM
Hey Mac,

I use 98SE. I periodically check for new product updates so I know my OS is running with all the latest bug fixes and enhancements.

Have you checked the Microsoft, Windows Update, Product Update site yet? There may be some critical updates and enhancements that you need. And maybe within those updates would be a bug fix to cure your problem. It's worth a shot.

In fact, there is an option to upgrade to SE right on the site if you would rather upgrade rather than update your current OS.

I have had no catastrophic problems with SE. In fact, I had a choice recently do upgrade to either 98SE or ME. I have yet to hear anything good about ME, so I chose 98SE. Haven't been sorry yet.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Big Blue 66

Paleo Pete
12-15-2000, 06:29 AM
The most stable OS? Windows 3.11...or DOS...

That sounds like a memory related error, but I've never seen it before. Probably something like a GPF, something trying to take memory that's already allocated to another program.

Check your Virtual Memory settings, and free space. Windows requires at least 100MB free space to run in, and usually it's best to have free space to allow a swap file of about twice your RAM. So you'd want about 250MB free with 128MB RAM.

Also go into BIOS and look for a Set BIOS Defaults or Set Performance Defaults setting, and try that, see if it makes a difference. The BIOS Survival Guide (http://www.manawatu.gen.nz/pages/bios_survival/bios_sg.htm) has lots of very good BIOS info, check it against your settings, see if you have something wrong, like wait states or something of that nature. PC Guide BIOS Settings (http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/set/index.htm) has plenty info too.

Also, check my site posted below, I have a link to a MSKD article on troubleshooting General Protection Faults, it may have some helpful info.
That's all I can think of for now.

------------------
Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

uncle_bent
12-18-2000, 03:00 PM
I find Windows 95 OSR2 and Windows 98 SE to both be good stable platforms. They are both settled versions of earlier software and have patches applied. If you are already on 98 it makes best sense to go with 98SE especially if you need firewire support, etc...

It could be memory or other problems as other posters have suggested, and you might want to try swapping out memory sticks (if you have two just use one for awhile, then swap it out and use the other).

If you do change operating systems a fresh install would be a good idea, but a lot more work. It always takes me week or two to get it settled and running in a stable fashion when I do this. Good luck whatever you decide.

[This message has been edited by uncle_bent (edited 12-18-2000).]

Paleo Pete
12-19-2000, 07:05 AM
OK, seriously this time...

I've used DOS from v2.0 to 6.22, windows 3.0, 3.1, 95, 98 & NT. All seem to be fairly stable, win 95 & 98 if they are treated right. The main thing, and most people don't do it, is when you install it's best to format the drive and start fresh, then check windows out for a day, make sure it's running right, then add other programs one at a time, checking each one out for a while before adding more.

I add Internet Explorer first, then Word 97, Publisher 97, then scanner software and iPhoto, and go from there. Virus scanner is the last thing to be installed, since it must be disabled or closed before installing anything.

This procedure eliminates most of the problems related to software that can pop up soon after an install, and if trouble does start you know what was installed last and therefore have a good idea where to look for a solution. If you install everything in a rush all in one day and don't check things out, you have a dozen programs, and any one of them can be the culprit.

If you have a drive with multiple partitions, it's a good idea to use a small partition for the Windows swap file. Anything about 300-500MB should work, some people like to use a 1 gig partition. Defrag it then set it as the swap file and keep it open, then windows always has plenty room to breathe, and it basically never needs to be defragged again.

Same for drivers, install one at a time, and check things out for a day or two. The whole process takes me about a week, but I end up with a very solid machine that will chug away when others are in the shop...

------------------
Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

sleddog
12-19-2000, 08:05 AM
"Which is the best and most stable Windows OS?"

Provided you not a gamer, then NT4 workstation (sp4 or above). I could never go back to 95/98.

abhinavbhagwat
10-29-2008, 03:33 AM
My own experience says that Windows 2003 is the most stable, small footprint and best Windows OS. It just works the best for me. :)

Paul Komski
10-29-2008, 04:01 AM
A response to an eight year old thread usually has little relevance.

357mag
10-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Ah, it's pretty much common knowledge that Windows 95 and 98 and that stuff was pretty unstable. Blue screens on a regular basis.

If you want a stable Windows use Windows XP. I used Windows 2000 for many years before I bought XP and it was stable as a rock. None of that silly activation either. I'm sad that I can no longer use it. But since XP is built on the same code base, it is also remarkably stable.

awaj
10-29-2008, 11:41 PM
XP Pro 32 bit is by far the most stable OS I've used for everyday things. If you want Gaming, go with Vista, but that's a different story. It depends on how much effort you want to put into setting the computer though

10-30-2008, 04:04 PM
XP, 2000, or NT4. Personally, I like NT4 the most, but it doesn't have DX support past DX3 or 5...