PDA

View Full Version : New gaming system

orangehack
01-02-2001, 08:37 PM
Argh, had a nice long post about this but entered my password wrong and it went into cyber lalala land. Great site lots of helpful info. I'm still looking for some advice this will be my second system purchase. I have decided to buy online but am caught in the what i need and man that would be sweet system dilema. The main function of the system will be to saite my online gaming addiction and burn cd's for my wife. Skimp on the audio area im more of visual person. I cant spend more than 1500-1600 for a system with monitor. Im not deluding myself into thinking i can get a dream system but i think i can get a decent one any recomendation and input would be greatly appreciated

orangehack
01-02-2001, 10:17 PM
Ok computer guru's here are the specs i was looking at too much 2 little or am i missing something important.
CASE: AMD CERTIFIED ATX MEDIUM TOWER CASE 300 WATT
CD: 16X DVD ROM (+30)
CD-RECORDER: CREATIVE CD-RW 32X8X4 (+155)
CPU: AMD ATHLON(TM) THUNDERBIRD 1000MHz CJ101 (+839)
FLOPPY: MITSUMI 1.44 MB FLOPPY DR
HARD DRIVE: 30GB 7200 RPM UDMA 100 HARD DRIVE (+45)
KEYBOARD: PS2 108 KEY WINDOWS 98 KEYBOARD
MEMORY: 256 MB SDRAM PC133 (+105)
MODEM: ZOOM PCI 56K V.90 FAX MODEM W/ VOICE
MOTHERBOARD: AZZA VIA KT133 THUNDERBIRD 4X AGP MOTHERBOARD
MOUSE: PS2 INTERNET MOUSE
NETWORK CARD: NONE
OFFICE SUITE: LOTUS SMART SUITE MILLENNIUM EDITION
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS TWO-YEAR ONSITE SERVICE (+59)
SOFTWARE: NONE
SOUND: CREATIVE LAB SB LIVE VALUE (+45)
SPEAKERS: ALTEC LANCING ACS 45.1 SUBWOOFER STEREO SPEAKERS SYSTEM (+ 60)
VIDEO: HS NVIDIA TNT2 M64 32MB AGP
ZIP: NONE

price approx 1350

thank you
newbie geek wanna be!

bassvax
01-03-2001, 12:46 AM
OK Orange it looks like a 'kickin' system. It's a whole diff world, but if you're gonna jam on those online games you might consider a cable modem or DSL although I know this will kick you way into another price range and I see you haven't selected a monitor yet (or have you?). There are tons of monitors to choose from...I got a 17" Samsung Syncmaster 753DF for $230 at Best Buy. I like the Shadow masking technology better than the Aperture Grille Pitch mainly because I'm one of those that can still see the damper wires and it annoys me. Why not pump up that video card to a 64MB that 32MB is great too though. The two other things I would research is a very efficient cooling concoction (although since you're buying the retail cpu you should get a good one with it) and lastly research that power supply to make sure it's adequate for that big AMD processor. I've read where they are power hogs. Good Gaming http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif
ps-OK I'm an idiot I just reread your post and saw the blurb about the AMD certified case and power supply http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Jerry

[This message has been edited by bassvax (edited 01-03-2001).]

orangehack
01-03-2001, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the input bassvax, I was debating to go with a monitor that came bundled with the system it is 19 inch .22 dpi at a decent price that makes me a bit wary though because it was not a name brand I think its a cybervision or something to that effect. As far as a video card I've been waffling on that too i was thinking i could hold off on good card and let the price come down some hmm. Any more input is appreciated btw I do have a cable modem, 1 month now can't say enough good things about it!

Any more comments would be great!!!

ps. im getting the shakes waiting to order my new p.c.
*takes deep breath* i can hold off a bit longer

adam_eddy
01-03-2001, 01:42 PM
Specs look great so far. I agree with Bassvax about the cable modem or DSL.
Chek with your cable company about good deals. I got free installation and $39.95/month with no contract. The other item is the video card. If you are in the value range, I would definitely look at cards with NVidia's GeForce2 MX processor. They are under $100 & will work great for your applications. Good Luck!

orangehack
01-03-2001, 03:31 PM
2nd time is the charm

btw I do have a cable modem, 1 month now can't say enough good things about it!

another question has occured to be what is the difference between a tv tuner and a video out?

also any more comments on the above system are still appreciated
thank you!!!

hiredgoonz
01-03-2001, 09:31 PM
A TV tuner allows you to watch tv on your computer screen, some even allow you to use your computer like a vcr to record programs and capture stills from tv and camcorder inputs. A TV-out allows you to connect your vidcard to a tv(in case you want to watch dvd movies on your big screen)

System sounds like a pretty good deal...I'd go for a better vidcard though...there's nothing wrong with the TNT2...but the geforce is alot better, and if you're going to do serious gaming (and have the cash) don't go for the mx, go with the geforce2 and 64 mb of ddr ram...you'll get more life out of that card and it will handle high resolutions WAY better than the mx, which is more of a budget card

[This message has been edited by hiredgoonz (edited 01-03-2001).]

xor_chad
01-05-2001, 11:07 PM
LO
My opinion:

CASE: AMD CERTIFIED ATX MEDIUM TOWER CASE 300 WATT
(ok, i personally like full towers. tons of room for cooling and expansion)
(Enlight are cool)

CD: 16X DVD ROM (+30)
(i have decided i dont like watching DVDs on my PC and got a DVD player for my HES. but if you like it i suggest Pioneer)

CD-RECORDER: CREATIVE CD-RW 32X8X4 (+155)
(i would suggest HP, Ricoh or Plextor...Plex is nice)

CPU: AMD ATHLON(TM) THUNDERBIRD 1000MHz CJ101 (+839)
(cool)

FLOPPY: MITSUMI 1.44 MB FLOPPY DR
(cool also sony is good)

HARD DRIVE: 30GB 7200 RPM UDMA 100 HARD DRIVE (+45)
(i suggest IBM Deskstar)

KEYBOARD: PS2 108 KEY WINDOWS 98 KEYBOARD
(go USB)

MEMORY: 256 MB SDRAM PC133 (+105)
(sure)

MODEM: ZOOM PCI 56K V.90 FAX MODEM W/ VOICE
(forget dialup, but zoom is sturdy stuff)

MOTHERBOARD: AZZA VIA KT133 THUNDERBIRD 4X AGP MOTHERBOARD
(unfortunately never heard of AZZA, i prefer Abit, IWill, and Asus)

MOUSE: PS2 INTERNET MOUSE
(go USB, razor is sweet)

NETWORK CARD: NONE
(uhhh...yes! get some 10/100 NIC. I like Kingston)

OFFICE SUITE: LOTUS SMART SUITE MILLENNIUM EDITION
(...uh huh)

(might was well go ME now, but 98 is cool)

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS TWO-YEAR ONSITE SERVICE (+59)
(on site is always some kind of scam. read fine lines and ask questions)

SOFTWARE: NONE
(some software would be cool to actually use your new PC!!!!)

SOUND: CREATIVE LAB SB LIVE VALUE (+45)
(will creative ever die? go Aureal. but that card is OK otherwise)

SPEAKERS: ALTEC LANCING ACS 45.1 SUBWOOFER STEREO SPEAKERS SYSTEM (+ 60)
(Altec Lansing ACS48 PowerCube Plus. *TRUST ME YOU WILL LOVE THEM!*)

VIDEO: HS NVIDIA TNT2 M64 32MB AGP
(Nvidia is KING. what can i say? i would go with the 3D Prophet II Ultra)

ZIP: NONE
(ok)

Monitor: Aperture Grille is bar none superior IMHO. Yes you can see the lines if you have notepad open, but geez...go Mitsubishi or Sony >= 17")

Lots of cooling fans.

------------------
Chad Wilson
C++/ASM Programmer
PC Support Technician

hiredgoonz
01-06-2001, 02:32 PM
I'd stay away from Windows ME...98 SE performs better (due to ME's sytem restore feature) and despite the fact that they should be identical in reliability and compatibility, I've seen and heard of a lot of problems with ME...