PDA

View Full Version : Finally ordered the new PC!

Samantha
01-07-2001, 12:48 PM
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new PC for home this week. I ordered from Monarch Computers in Georgia, which I found on the AMD list of system assemblers. I checked them out at both the resellerratings.com and the Better Business Bureau. The prices are not the cheapest around, but they are competitive and the company looks solid. (The last three companies from which I purchases my home computers went out of business before warranties were even up. I'm hoping it's not a curse.)

What I like most about this outfit is that they let you customize literally every component of the PC from their very extensive list of parts, so I was able to get exactly what I wanted. My only disappointment was that I wanted a Matrox G400, but waited too long and Matrox has since discontinued the line in favor of the lesser G450 (bad move, Matrox!). Nevertheless, I opted for the G450, since I'm addicted to Matrox's superior text display. As you can probably tell from the configuration, I'm not a gamer or audiophile.

When I called the 800 number to get some additional information on component options, I reached a representative easily and he answered my questions fine (they were easy ones). One odd thing, though, is that the company does not take credit card information over the phone. You can place your order over the phone, but then have to use their Web site to enter your credit card information. If you don't wish to enter credit card information on the Web, you're only choice is to send the company a money order. They won't take a personal check.

Time to ship a system is supposed to be 10-14 days. I'm not in any particular hurry, but will track to see how they do. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Here's the configuration:

Enlight 7237 Mid ATX w/ 350 Watt
Second Case Fan
ABIT KT7 Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 1000 MHz
Tai-Sol CGK742092 CPU Cooling Fan
256 MB PC 133 CAS-2
Matrox Millennium 32 Meg G450 DDR Dual
IBM Deskstar 45 gig 7200
Plextor 12x10x32 CDRW IDE
1.44MB 3.5 inch Floppy Drive
Creative SoundBlaster Live Value PCI
Altec Lansing ACS21 Stereo Speakers
US Robotics 2977 56k v.90 PCI Modem
D-Link WOL 10/100 PCI
Microsoft Internet Keyboard PS/2
Microsoft Intelli PS/2 Mouse
Windows 98 Version 2

Total: $1,621.05
Including $40 for assembly and $64.95 for FedEx 2-4 day shipping
Not including a monitor

------------------
S~~

xor_chad
01-07-2001, 02:06 PM
Hey Sam,

That look like a sweet system.

Lots of my favorites in there.

I love Enlight, Abit, Matrox, IBM, Plextor, AMD, ....ok the whole list except the Creative and not familiar with D-link NICs.

You will love the features in that G450 Dual.

I am sure you will be happy with it for some while. Laters...

------------------
Chad Wilson
C++/ASM Programmer
PC Support Technician

orangehack
01-14-2001, 06:02 PM
Looks great Samantha, I too finally got around to ordering a new rig. I wish I had another 300 to get what i wanted but heres what i managed to put together.

SUPERPOWER ZEPHYR KS-201XP MIDDLE TOWER W/300W ATX POWER SUPPLY 4x5.25" 2x3.5" 1x3.5"(hidden)
ABIT KT7-RAID Motherboard Specs BUNDLE W/ COOLING FAN & (AMD T-BIRD 1GHZ(OEM); 16X64 128MB PC133)

PLEXTOR 32X-READ/12X-RECORD/10X-REWRITE
EIDE INTERNAL REWRITABLE W/SW

1 ATI RADEON 32MB AGP DDR
AOPEN AW744PRO 3D SOUND CARD YAMAHA744 CHIPSET - 64 HARDWARE WAVETABLE, SUPPORT 4 CHANNEL
IBM 30.0GB 07N4774 EIDE ULTRA ATA/100 LP DESKSTAR 7200RPM 75GXP (Retail)
ALTEC LANSING ACS54 POWERPLAY PLUS 5PCS SPEAKER SYSTEM FOR GAMERS

I figure I add the dvd and another HD in a couple months to use the raid got to save some more cash though.

Have fun with the puter sam!

Charles Kozierok
01-15-2001, 12:35 PM
I'm sure they also hope it's not a curse. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/wink.gif
Congrats on the system, enjoy it.

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

Samantha
01-16-2001, 04:57 PM
Looks like we have similar ideas, orange. I thought about the Abit RAID mobo, but decided I'd never use it. I selected the Abit, though, after reading recent reviews at anandtech.com. I'm partial to Asustek boards for their reliability, as well as their great tech support, but the equivalent Asustek board has onboard audio (and maybe video - don't remember) and doesn't have Abit's jumperless configurability.

This system is more than I wanted to spend, as I'm thinking I'll upgrade to a 64-bit machine as soon as they are at all reasonable and have software, but it's still about $1,000 less than it would have cost a few years ago. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

I ordered on the 4th, so I'm hoping it ships this week. They are supposed to send an e-mail with the Fed-Ex tracking number when it does ship. That will be a good test of how well the company has its act together.

------------------
S~~

Samantha
01-22-2001, 01:08 PM
The new computer just arrived!

I requested information on the status of the order, using Monarch's online form for doing so, first thing this morning. I got back an automated reply. Someone from the company is supposed to e-mail within a business day to advise on the status. In the meantime, Fed-Ex showed up with the box. Fortunately, I was home from work today. I didn't receive the promised e-mail from Monarch with the tracking number. The Fed_ex guy said it wasn't scheduled to be delivered until tomorrow, so maybe Monarch would have sent the e-mail today - although I doubt it. They could use an online tracking system.

Anyway, I need to run out and get a new monitor, so I can get it up and running. I'll check the box first to see what kind of job they do in assembling. They do seem to pack it well. The box is huge!

------------------
S~~