PDA

View Full Version : opinions wanted

ComputerMan
02-07-2001, 11:37 PM
What do you think the best overall system for the $$ is on the market today? I like the AMD T-Bird 900. If you put 128 or 256 in this system and a killer vid card , this thing runs circles around the Pentiums and its way cheaper than the newer 1 gig T-Bird CPU's. Thinking about building a 4th system strictly for gaming and am just about mindset on this one with 256 mb/ 64mb DDR vid. I'm new to this site and would love to hear some input. Talk to me!!

------------------
Who? Me?

computerMan

kenja
02-08-2001, 01:14 PM
I'd go the extra dollars more and get the 1GHz instead of a 900MHz Thunderbird. Reason: It can make use of the 266MHz FSB that the KT133A chipset provides. (There is a thread in "The PC World" forum (should actually be here) titled "RAID..." that might interest you.) The price progression is quite linear as we increase in 50MHz increments up to the 1GHz point.

I can't remember what gamer's site I saw it on, but they compared a Duron and Thunderbird of the same frequency, and the Thunderbird did put out more frames/second, but not that many more, percentage wise. (For the extra $30, I do like the large on-die cache of the Thunderbird.)

I'm not a gamer, but the "sweet spot" for me was an 800MHz Duron at $75+ shipping. (That's "OEM"; I bought a heatsink/fan from PCPowerandCooling.com.)

For power supplies and cases, I've been happy with Antec.

[This message has been edited by kenja (edited 02-08-2001).]

hacker
02-09-2001, 08:32 PM
If you can hold out for a little longer, the retail DDR memory MB's will be comming out and I would wait to see if they are what they are cracked up to be.

Also, they are reported to be (rumor only) compatable with the next gen AMD processor's (Palimino).

Killer gamer and easier upgrage if true.

Also again, when they hit, older MB prices and processor prices should fall.

Good Luck!

------------------
I was called "hacker" before there was a HeathKit.

kenja
02-09-2001, 11:03 PM
I see Crucial is selling DDR PC1600 for the same price as PC100/133! It's sometimes tough to know when to "jump into the pool"! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

Randy_tx
02-10-2001, 09:47 AM
If you have a lead pencil and some guts you can easily overclock the Duron 800 to 1000...(assuming you have a decent Mobo).....check out Tom's Hardware for details: http://www.tomshardware.com/

------------------
Open letter to Bill Gates:"I just want 1% of your net worth...I'm not greedy"

kenja
02-10-2001, 07:37 PM
Yeah, my Soyo SY-K7VTA-B should handle it, it's AMD approved up to 1.2GHz. I've seen the "pencil trick", but it seems too flakey for the (ex) industrial electronics maintenance technician in me. If I do it, I plan to use the "ink" out of a solder pen. I'm having more than enough fun right now building/reconfiguring four PCs at once!