PDA

View Full Version : socket 370?

caspenc
02-12-2001, 10:21 AM
I have an HP Pavilion with a celeron 500 mhz processor. I am wanting to upgrade the mother board but am not sure what type to buy and dont want to take a chance on ordering the wrong one. This might seem like a no brainer question to some, but could someone tell me type processor this is or how to determine that? thanks for the help

Randy_tx
02-12-2001, 11:56 AM
I'm somewhat confused by your post...It seems that you are saying you have a Socket 370 style motherboard with a Celeron 500 in it??...If that is correct, you can probably go to at least a PIII 600 or so mhz cpu utilizing the SAME motherboard and changing the jumper settings (ie the cpu mulitplier clock settings higher)...the "full blown" PIII has better L2 caching than the Celeron and thus is faster...and a bit more expensive. You can learn the exact capabilities of your motherboard by reading the motherboard book that came with computer(assuming they gave you one) or going to the HP web site and looking it up. If you are considering CHANGING the motherboard out completely, consider selling your HP and going with a "Generic" ATX case and starting from scratch.
the HP site is : http://www.hp.com/cposupport/eschome.html Good luck!

------------------
When all else fails...start parts swapping!

caspenc
02-12-2001, 12:20 PM
What I am wanting to do is just change out the motherboard and use the same processor. But when ordering a motherboard I am not sure whether to get socket 370, socket 7, etc. I need to switch out the board because it has only one ide connector, with the hard drive and cd rom this one is used up. I want room for a slave drive and a cdrw. A different moboard and bigger case is my plan. Getting rid of some HP junk is another benefit. thanks

Randy_tx
02-12-2001, 12:33 PM
I've NEVER seen a motherboard built in the last 3 yrs that didn't have Two (2) IDE channels!!! ARE you CERTAIN??
If you do have to change out the motherboard, it could be a bit tricky utilizing the HP case...hope it all fits right. If you have a Celeron 500 Processor then you have EITHER a Slot 1 or a Socket 370 mainboard...you can tell which it is by looking inside the case (or looking in the manual)...if the processor is "sticking upward" and has a bracket on each end (usually Black in color)it's a Slot 1...if it is lying flat and the white "socket" it goes into says Socket 370, well you know the rest.

------------------
When all else fails...start parts swapping!

Paleo Pete
02-13-2001, 01:55 AM
One IDE channel??? Double check that board. It should have a connector for a secondary IDE channel beside the Primary. I too have never seen a board without two IDE channels, even my old 486 PCI board had two, and even earlier, the EIDE controller cards could be found with two channels.

To find out without a motherboard manual, "pop the hood". Trace the ribbon cable from the hard drive back to the motherboard. It should plug into a connector there, with one for the floppy drive beside or above it, depending on the angle of view. You should see a third one, and most are labeled in white print on the board. You might need a magnifying glass to read it, I think they got the font from mice or something...

Primary IDE should be labelled IDE 1 or Primary IDE, the secondary will be IDE 2 or Secondary. some boards use 0 and 1 instead of 1 and 2...go figure...

If you see that connector, your present board will work, and I'm betting it's there...you might have to move the cables around a bit to find it, and be careful, check the connections before turning it back on.

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)