PDA

View Full Version : processor upgrade to a Gateway

sham
02-19-2001, 01:17 AM
I have a Gateway G6-450 the mother baord is "Intel (Jabil) pentium II w/integrated audio p/n 4000446. I would like to know what processors, and RAM I can upgrade to.

BigBlue66
02-19-2001, 11:49 AM
Hi,

If you have the manual for the motherboard, that should tell you everything you want to know about upgradeability for the processor and ram.

If you don't have a manual, write down the bios ID string found on the lower left-hand corner of the screen as the computer is booting up. Hit the pause key to stop the booting process so you can write down the number. Press the space bar to continue booting. Post the bios ID string here.

Cheers,

Big Blue 66

Randy_tx
02-19-2001, 02:07 PM
Another way to find this information out is to go to the Gateway web site and look your system up (By System name) it should give you the options there as well. http://www.gateway.com/support/index.shtml

------------------
"As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT

DirtyBird
02-19-2001, 04:07 PM
I wanted to upgrade my processor in my POS Dell, but I've discovered the multipliers are all blocked, you just can't adjust any of the multipliers, so it would be pointless to upgrade. And since Gateway is an OEM company too, then I wouldn't be too surprised if they had done the same thing, its all a ploy to make you just go out and buy another one of thier systems, they make more money that way. Damn capitalists...

[This message has been edited by DirtyBird (edited 02-19-2001).]

hiredgoonz
02-19-2001, 04:14 PM
When did you buy the system? If you got it after probably feb/march of 1999, you may be able to upgrade to an SECC2, 100mhz bus P3...if you got it before then, you're probably out of luck since the P2 450 was the fastest thing out and probably as fast as the mobo supports...

Only way to tell for sure is to check the gateway site and d/l the manual for the board...

Although, evergreen technologies makes som interesting upgrade components...including a celeron 800 upgrade that plugs into P2 boards...check evertech.com if you can't find anything out from gateway...

[This message has been edited by hiredgoonz (edited 02-19-2001).]