PDA

View Full Version : need o/s that uses hardly any memory

blazinbitch2000
01-03-2001, 08:30 PM
I just discovered that the computer that I have been trying to load windows on doesn't have enough memory .. is there a o/s out there i should look into loading?? this man wants this computer just to write a few letters/ play hoyle card games on..any suggestions?? Help..cheryl

hiredgoonz
01-03-2001, 09:17 PM
Linux is great if you want to run an older system, but it can require alot more time and effort to get working than a windows system...not because it isn't a great OS (don't want to **** off the linux community) but it just doesn't have the same number of developers writing applications for it...on the other hand, you can get alot of great apps for free...

Radish
03-05-2001, 01:50 PM
My suggestion (though it may not work with as little memory as you have) is, the BeOS. BeOS 5 screams, it is meant to get more power out of low end machines than Windows, and it costs about 59.00, with a nice thick book about how to use it and where the programs are. I know it has games and applications, and it is tuned for multimedia (video and sound) as well.

Or, at the risk of sounding retro --- how about plain old DOS? DOS 6.x should run on any machine you can find, there are plenty of games and applications, and they're mostly lying around free now.

Both of these are way easier installs than either Windows or Linux. I think there are a lot of perfectly good computers and programs out there just waiting for people who figure out that they don't need the latest and fastest gear just to get a little work done or play a game.

Hope this helps! G.J.R.

Randy_tx
03-05-2001, 02:51 PM
If you have at least 4 mb RAM ...you can load Windows 3.1...assuming you can find a copy.

------------------
"As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT

Paleo Pete
03-06-2001, 07:48 AM
OK, the realistic approach...

Memory prices have gone way down recently. Add some! If it's a decent Pentium 166 or better and 540MB hard drive or larger it should run win 95 or 98 with 32MB. Drive 1 GB or better would be a good idea for win98.

I like DOS but it won't run Hoyle card games, and the word processors are not easy to use. I like win3.x even more, but applications for it are getting harder to find by the minute. But it will run with minimal memory.

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

sleddog
03-06-2001, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Paleo Pete:
OK, the realistic approach...

Memory prices have gone way down recently. Add some!

Sadly, the price of the older SIMM modules haven't fallen as have the newer DIMM modules. Currently my "local" shop has PC133 128mb DIMM's for CAN$60.00, while a 16mb SIMM modules is CAN$63. Given that SIMMs usually need to be installed in pairs, that's CAN$126 for a mere 32mb RAM upgrade.

------------------
sleddog
[sleddog.f2s.com] (http://www.sleddog.f2s.com)

Randy_tx
03-06-2001, 11:53 AM
How much memory do you have in this system anyway blazin ??

------------------
"As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT

Paleo Pete
03-07-2001, 08:37 AM
sleddog: I know, and it irritates me. I'm hoping this machine will use DIMM instead of or in addition to SIMM...

blazin: I second Randy's question, how much memory does the machine have, and what are some machine specs? That info would really help, we're kind of guessing here...

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)