PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent operation of network

narroc
03-11-2006, 04:32 AM
I have 2 computers, 1 is the main computer and the other is connected to one of the 4 ports of the modem, The main computers always connects to the internet but the other some times connects and then some times gets into it's head not to, Both are running WXP.
Can anyone help?

Joel Paraguya
03-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Hi Narroc,

Do you mean the main computer is directly connected to Internet off a public or Internet switch whereas the other is connected to the modem? Can you describe the connection details and the brand/model of the modem that you are using?

Regards,
Joel

narroc
03-13-2006, 04:19 AM
I have a Broadband ADSL Router UPT 4x lan modem connected to the telephone line, it has 4 outlets, I goes to my main computer and another one goes to the other computer which My grandson uses mostly (to play games, what kid doesn't?)
Sometimes the other computer connects no problem and other times it is contrary and doesn't connect, The 2 lights on the rear of his computer network card always seem to be going,I've tried swapping connections at the modem, I've fiddled with the network connections on his computer and got it work then 2 days later it goes on strike again then the next day after that for no reason it will work again, Also tried talking nicely to it and also swearing at it doesn't make any difference,The main computer connection always works.
The modem is made in Tawain and labeled by a local electronic shops and has their name on it. :confused:

Erik
03-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Sounds to me like it might be an IP address issue. Got to both computers, when they are able to access the internet, and do the following.

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type cmd and hit enter
4. Type ipconfig

Post back with the results you get from the screen on each PC.

Are you paying your ISP for multiple computers to be connected? If not it might just be them not allowing a secondary PC to make a connection until you pay them.

Joel Paraguya
03-13-2006, 09:29 AM
At times when there were Internet connection problems on your grandson's PC, have you tried resetting the ADSL router and the PC's Internet connection became normal? If this is so, it is possible that there is a problem with your ADSL router or there is a spyware or virus which infected your or your grandson's PC. BTW, who configured the ADSL Router? What IP addresses are assigned to both computers? - (start->run->cmd->type ipconfig /all), then paste the results for both PCs.