PDA

View Full Version : games freezing unfreezing

Swansen
04-08-2006, 04:06 PM
sys specs (just built all harware is new)
amd64 2.2 4200 plus dual core
2gb ram
74gb raptor
evga geforce 7600 gt sli ready
gigabyte GA-K8N ultra sli
coolmax 500w
yeah so anyways in any game so far wether it demands a lot or near nothing this happens. the games will freeze and then unfreeze for a few seconds and a few seconds apart. new windows drivers, new video driver, new bios, its most likely a harware issue

saphalline
04-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Well, it depends. Where did you get all your drivers? Your chipset & graphics drivers should come straight from NVidia's site. If you're using onboard audio, the audio driver will be built into the chipset driver. You'll also need the latest version of DirectX, and all of the critical Windows updates.

And how many case fans do you have? Where are they and in which direction are they blowing?

Swansen
04-09-2006, 01:55 AM
have hte latest direct x got it from oblivion, all windows updates as possible, driver from nvidia, bios fomr motherboard manufacturer, four case fans, 2 inlet 2 exhaust, one inlet is in the from and the bottom of hte case the other is in hte middle on the side, the exhausts are on the back one is in the usual spot and the other is under the graphics card

saphalline
04-09-2006, 04:51 AM
Do you have anything running in the background? Any spyware or virus that you know of? Proper security utilities/tools? Does your system pass the DX diag tests? Do you have AMD's Cool'n'Quiet turned off in the BIOS?

Swansen
04-09-2006, 02:34 PM
i'm not connected to the internet i get from driver from a different computer, i don't have anyspyware viruses i should mention i just built it, The DX diag test passes fine, i don't have cool'n'quiet installed but i will check if its on in the bios. i've also turned off the windows frewall to see if that would make a difference but it didn't change anything.

saphalline
04-12-2006, 04:10 PM
The only other thing I can think of is a resource problem. Do you have the option of turning off the serial/parallel ports in the BIOS? If you're not using them, turn them off. This frees up some low-level resources such as memory loading and IRQ's. Also, WinXP will let you change the IRQ within the OS of just about any device. Play around with some stuff. Perhaps your mouse just needs to be plugged into a different USB port or something.

mjc
04-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Also trim down/turn off anything in XP that you don't need.

If you are not connected to the internet and have no intention of doing so...disable the built-in firewall in XP. Espeicially if the machine has no network connections of any kind.

madad2005
04-13-2006, 04:23 AM
Here is my suggestion - for all user processes, open task manager and set affinity for these programs to CPU 0 (rmove the tick from CPU 1). Then try again and see if that helps. I found that, especially playing oblivion, setting my firewall and anti-virus to a single thread and then letting Oblivion use both of them improved my performance a bit.

Dancow
05-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi, i have the same issue;
AMD 64 X2 dual core 4400+
2GB DDR400 DC
256mb Geforce 7800GTX
2x 160GB SATA II 3gb/s
Creative X-Fi elite pro
6x fans 2 which are 80mm.

I haven't fixed mine yet, ive tried new drivers/windows XP. x64/old drivers/without sound card/nothing installed but drivers and game/graphics card in another PC and worked 100%/differnet Hard Disk/Differnet memory 512mb DDR400 SC/Different CD-drive/sent back the mobo and got a new 1 back and still not working.

Issues i think : Too much thermal paste/Motherboard incompability/processor faulty.

not sure which 1. I ran performance tests and my CPU works fine. The useage goes from 2% to 100% every 5 seconds. I must admit though i've read about 10 forums and this occurs only on AMD64 chip processors. Must be a common error with AMD64's. I had a different mobo before this one and i had no problems.

saphalline
05-24-2006, 01:23 AM
Are you running XP Home or Pro? It just occured to me that perhaps I never have problems because I use Pro. I've seen a lot of problems over the years with the latest hardware + XP Home.

Dancow
05-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Nope in runnig Pro

saphalline
05-25-2006, 01:09 AM
Have you tried updating your BIOS?

Jason1971
05-25-2006, 10:44 AM
I must admit though i've read about 10 forums and this occurs only on AMD64 chip processors. Must be a common error with AMD64's. I had a different mobo before this one and i had no problems
I've read the samething too... People were having issues with that video card and the AMD duel core.... I'll see if I can find where I read that at...

Dancow
05-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Everything is updated fully. Tried my gfx card in another pc. Tried different RAM in my pc, tried diff hard disks, cd-drives and sound card. Re-installed windows about 4 times. Got a new motherboard of the same one sent back and still now working. I think its because its a dual ATI card motherboard and im using a single Nvidia. The other motherboard i had worked fine with this setup.

gecks
06-27-2006, 05:14 PM
I have the exact same problem!

Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core Proc 4200+ S939
2 gigs OCE gold 500 ddr Ram
ASUS A8N5X Mobo (Nforce 4 chipset)
VGA E-GEFORCE 7600 GT CO Superclocked card (Via PCI-E)
Samung SyncMaster 740N Monitor
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300GB 8MB IDE HD

Tried everything under the sun, including a RMA replacement card. Just wondering how this problem go resolved, or if it ever did? I'd love to have something else to try!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've been going nuts looking for answers! :confused:

saphalline
06-28-2006, 05:08 AM
Since I've never had any problems like this before, I can only assume that everyone else isn't doing something that I'm doing. And the only thing I can think of at this point is BIOS settings.

I know what most/all BIOS settings do, and I know how I want my system set-up, so naturally I know what to mess with and what to leave alone. So that begs the question: what have you messed with in your BIOS and what have you left alone?

gecks
06-28-2006, 05:28 PM
It happens when reverting BIOS to defaults, but what I have tried monkeying with to fix this include:

PEG (PCIE acceleration) settings (tried everything from maximum settings to disabled)
Disabling automatic overclock settings.
Turning off the parralel port
Enabling disabling "amd cool and quiet", "AI N.O.S" (which made the computer lock up on boot)
Probably a few other pretty random things I don't remember.
Sorry I can't be more specific, But I've been all over the place on this. :)

Also flashed the BIOS to the latest version, BTW.

saphalline
06-29-2006, 01:56 AM
Ummm... yeah... Don't OC anything. That's a horrible way to get stability back.

First of all, unplug your system and take out the BIOS battery. Wait 10 minutes, then put the battery back in and fire up the system again. This should be done everytime you flash a new BIOS version.

Disable C'n'Q, PEG, and AI NOS. Also disable your legacy ISA bus ports (parallel and serial). Disable "System BIOS Cachable" and "Video BIOS Cachable", and any other BIOS Cachable things. Set your RAM to SPD/AUTO (even if this makes your HT & RAM go out of sync). Lock the PCI bus at 33MHz, if this is an option. Set your SATA configuration to SATA plus IDE (however your mobo does this). Adjust your boot order accordingly.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll look up your mobo manual tomorrow. Then I can tell you exactly what settings to use for your entire BIOS.

Swansen
09-19-2006, 11:40 PM
lol i just found my old post diggin around google thats funny i guess a lot of people looked at my post. Anyways even though this was about a half year ago it was the memory module on the card. RMA then sold anyways all good now

azzey
09-20-2006, 12:26 AM
even though this was about a half year agoThat's fine. Thanks for posting back with your solution!