PDA

View Full Version : CABLE/DSL router

preet
06-08-2006, 05:15 AM
Hi.
While configuring cable/dsl router within a network of 4 computers(xp professional), can i setup the router from any 4 computers.

Thanks.

jlreich
06-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Some routers may require you to have the computer that you first set it up on to be plugged into the first port on the router. But it doesn't matter which machine you actually use.

alex666
06-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Geez, I can't believe this. I was going to post the same question on a thread I started last weekend (see below), as my Linksys BEFSR41 router just arrived yesterday and the cable guy shows up on Saturday. We have 3 computers (all with XP Home and fully updated), one is a Dell kludge that my wife uses. It's reliable and never changes hardware. The other two are my own home-built systems, and who knows, I may upgrade the mobo on one of these in the near future and it's that particular system that I was thinking of installing the router software. So I'm thinking I should probably do the router setup on the Dell. It's by far the slowest of the three systems, but would that make any difference?

Also, as for setting up the router, is there actually software that gets installed on each of the computers, or only one system, or what? Thanks.

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=47266

marty

mjc
06-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Actually, I've had very little problem accessing the admin setup of the router from more than one machine. The key is that the admin login needs a password, so as long as you login with it you should be fine.

Yes, some routers restrict access to the machine wired to port 1 or keep track of MAC addresses, but usually all of that is solely router based and if you reset the router to the factory fresh, default config, then you can access it again if you change things around.

Basically what I'm saying is that things are not carved in stone.

I would setup and use the machine closest to the router for the admin tasks, just because that way it is easy to see if something is happening (connection lights are lit, etc).

And, generally no, routers don't require any software to be installed other than basic network set up.

alex666
06-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks. I've wanted to set up a home network for a number of years now, especially with high-speed internet, so I'm just psyched for Saturday to come.

marty

jlreich
06-08-2006, 06:18 PM
With my BEFSR41, which is at least three years old now so it may have changed with later revisions, I had to setup each port with the install CD. It doesn't matter which computer I used to set it up, I could use the same computer to set up by swapping the cable to each port, run the CD, then I could plug in any computer in that port without running the CD.

With my recent D-Link I just ran the CD on one computer and all ports were good to go after that. Linksys may have changed by now, which would be good because it's kind of a PIA to set up each port.

PrntRhd
06-08-2006, 10:54 PM
I set up my BEFSR41 in November, all I had to do was plug it into the cable modem, power up the cable modem and wait for all the lights, then plug in the router and wait for it to light up, then boot up the PC, and I could then browse into the router using the default IP. That router interface IP is the gateway address on the IPCONFIG on the client PC.
The additional PCs simply plugged in and obtained their addresses via DHCP with no router software required.

mjc
06-08-2006, 11:04 PM
The last Linksys device I played with was a Linksys Vonage box, and it was the same setup as PrntRhd's...plug and pray...

preet
06-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks all of you.